Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Homebrew 'EzESC' mod w/video

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #21
Hello again, time for a little update! Since the code is done I've been focusing on the physical side of things for the past week or so. First, got some new stuff in the mail I'm really exited about! Check out the size of the new board next to the Arduino Uno, such small! That will fit behind the dash much easier. I have a handful of those I'll use for testing and packaging a few different physical enclosures. And check out the OEM connectors I sourced, same exact part number and all! They will come from the board and connect to the OEM button. These are a bit expensive so I'll look for a more cost effective solution but it's nice to have options.

update.JPG

Factory connector:
update2.JPG

I attempted to find a power source to tap from a location in the center console, but none worked out. The factory ESC button only works when the ignition is on start/run but the existing USB / Cigar lighter sources are either always on or on prior to start/run. I did find a few sources at the fuse box behind the glove box that I think may work so I'm going to investigate that a little more. Also, still need to find a way to interface the factory wiring into the device. Thinking of 3D printing a case that has the female end integrated into the casing, similar to the factory ESC OFF button but just for prototyping. May end up injection molding a final product if I get that far.

ESC button factory connection molded into body:
update3.JPG

Still very motivated working on this project and I'm excited that there is a fair amount of interest! At this point I'm not 100% certain I will make/sell a final product, but if I do, it will be a retail quality device as opposed to a hacked together project. I definitely want to make this accessible so if I can make a professional product, I'll sell them, otherwise I'll just release the code and schematics so you can build your own. Then again, some of the parts I'm buying are sold in bulk only may have to be custom manufactured so perhaps a kit would be easier... or all three! Anyhow, I finally got another shipment of components today so I should have everything I need to hook it up this weekend. Stay tuned for an update on Sunday [cool]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=5978]spymac[/MENTION]
I'd be happy to buy a "assemble and hook it up yourself" version now, lol. Soldering, etc etc is all good with me.
Besides putting a sock in the sound symposer finding a way around pushing the esc button a zillion times was the 2nd thing on my list to change on the car.

I don't care if I have to cut wires or solder something in, I can handle it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be willing to beta test and help debug code, too. I think I've got a spare Trinket board in a drawer somewhere, all I'd need is the pigtail for the button connector.

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #27
[MENTION=5841]allpurposeben[/MENTION] [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] [MENTION=4176]nickstewartroc[/MENTION]

Cool, do any of you have heated Recaros? The seat heater switch shares a wiring harness with the ESC button and I'd like to get some pics/ multimeter readings while you are installing.

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #28
[MENTION=5841]allpurposeben[/MENTION]
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4176]nickstewartroc[/MENTION]

Cool, do any of you have heated Recaros? The seat heater switch shares a wiring harness with the ESC button and I'd like to get some pics/ multimeter readings while you are installing.

I have the heated recaros, and would be willing to assist as being a beta tester for this. [driving]

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #33
Thank you all for the replies, I'll let you know when I'm ready for some beta testing!

I moved the code over from the Arduino Uno to the trinket and found a few bugs after the transfer. The trinket doesn't support serial output for debugging so I'm going to have to get a bit creative on how I figure this issue out. Also, found a possible OEM style mating connector for the wiring harness to make this thing fully plug and play! I got a few of the connectors in this week and am working on a little mod to make these things fit.

I'll update this weekend with good news hopefully!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I have heated recaros too :)
Lmk if/when I can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #40
Here is the latest on this (longer term than expected) project. I haven't forgotten about this but just haven't had the motivation to really get to it.

In Feb I couldn't get the code to work on the trinket so I re-wrote the project using a different method. The new code worked great on the Uno but promptly broke on the trinket, again... So with the help of a friend I focused on finding and wiring a plug an play connector. The OEM does not make a 6 pin mating connector but I was able to source an 8 pin that with a little bit of modding, worked great! This part is a big milestone since my goal has been a plug and play solution that requires no cut factory wiring. Check out the connector below, you can see its a little larger than the factory connector but fits perfectly with a little room on either side:

plug-1.JPG

plug-2.JPG

Also, I was able to find a 12v source via the interior fuse block behind the glove box. Fairly easy to access and close enough to the dash. The ESC connector has a ground already so we won't need to feed a ground wire. I'm not 100% but I believe the best tap will be the moon roof circuit for a few reasons. First, it is switched by ignition which is required for EzESC to work. And second it is not a circuit that could affect any safety related systems like brake lights or airbags if there are any unforeseen issues or a device failure.

wiring1.JPG

fuse.JPG

So At this point I need to focus on getting code to work with the trinket so hopefully I can find some time in the next month to make things happen. Stay tuned!