Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Homebrew 'EzESC' mod w/video

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Mine took a few try's as well but it seems to be working correctly now.

Dave

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine took a few try's as well but it seems to be working correctly now.

Dave
Mind elaborating on what you mean by “took a few try’s”? Was it finding the right fuse location? BRBauer used the rear wiper and I want to document potential fuse locations.

Just FYI, there is 35 second delay programmed into the module before it will activate which gives the radio time to boot up in the worst case scenario. That is a 35 second delay after the ignition is pushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I used Fuse #17 as you showed in your photos.
One other thing is if you have a phone added to your Sync system, you should have it with you.
Because if Sync is looking for a phone, that cuts into that 35 seconds and mine would only go into the Sport Mode.

Dave

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I used Fuse #17 as you showed in your photos.
One other thing is if you have a phone added to your Sync system, you should have it with you.
Because if Sync is looking for a phone, that cuts into that 35 seconds and mine would only go into the Sport Mode.

Dave
I’ll PM you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brbauer2

I've been plugging my phone in right away when I get in the car. Android Auto boots, then the notification for Sport mode.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
[MENTION=7375]JDG[/MENTION],
PM with video sent.

Dave

brbauer2

Video does not seem to be working. Feel free to post it on the for sale thread if you get the link to work.
I linked to my editor page for the video [emoji30].

It is now fixed and will be posted in the sale thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #71
It's working!

I know, its been way too long since I started this thread, but I'm back. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get things developed the way I had envisioned but ran into too many hangups and lost interest for a while. Well, after seeing that JDG released his version with the work that I started, I decided to finish up what I had with a focus on the lowest possible cost. Also, my last auto-x event I forgot to turn esc off and it killed my run, that's when i knew I really HAD to make this thing work!

The main hangup was time, the original version would be too time consuming for me to assemble. Plus with OEM connectors it was expensive and I didn't think anyone would spend over $65 for this (apparently some will!). So I spent some time in the past few weeks working on a redesign that reduces the components and simplifying the code.

With that being said, here is the latest test of the final code and functionality.

VIDEO!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/tprAR9xpiNI[/video]

That dev board in the video has a lot going on but here are the parts below that are needed:

1. Trinket dev board (called in a teensy in the vid, whoops!)
2. Optocoupler
3. Wiring

parts.png

The opto is cheap and effective and while utilizing the built in pullup resistors on the board, I don't need any external resistors. The wiring is an inexpensive PC motherboard extension that fits the OEM pins perfectly.

I'd like to release the info 'open source' so anyone with a soldering iron can build one at minimal cost. I'm also considering selling very budget friendly kits (not sure if I'll assemble or sell as kits, maybe both). Most of the parts are available only in quantity so it may be cheaper for everyone if I order the parts and sell individuals.

Any how, I can say that finally have a tested working kit. It can be set default to 'ESC off' or 'Sport Mode' and can cycle through the different modes using a single press. Since this project will be open source, I'm hoping others will pitch in code to add the functionality I don't have much time for. Like being able to program the default straight from the button.

I'll post back in a few days with the kit assembled and some more details on the parts.

At this point I'm not interested in making this a commercial product any more (looks like JDG already kind of did that) but rather a cheaper alternative if you want to spend less. I just want this to be a cool feature that is accessible and affordable to the masses.

Stay tuned... and I'd like to see how many of you out there would be interested in a parts only kit?

It's working!

I know, its been way too long since I started this thread, but I'm back. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get things developed the way I had envisioned but ran into too many hangups and lost interest for a while. Well, after seeing that JDG released his version with the work that I started, I decided to finish up what I had with a focus on the lowest possible cost. Also, my last auto-x event I forgot to turn esc off and it killed my run, that's when i knew I really HAD to make this thing work!

The main hangup was time, the original version would be too time consuming for me to assemble. Plus with OEM connectors it was expensive and I didn't think anyone would spend over $65 for this (apparently some will!). So I spent some time in the past few weeks working on a redesign that reduces the components and simplifying the code.

With that being said, here is the latest test of the final code and functionality.

VIDEO!!!

That dev board in the video has a lot going on but here are the parts below that are needed:

2. Optocoupler
3. Wiring

View attachment 18513

The opto is cheap and effective and while utilizing the built in pullup resistors on the board, I don't need any external resistors. The wiring is an inexpensive PC motherboard extension that fits the OEM pins perfectly.

I'd like to release the info 'open source' so anyone with a soldering iron can build one at minimal cost. I'm also considering selling very budget friendly kits (not sure if I'll assemble or sell as kits, maybe both). Most of the parts are available only in quantity so it may be cheaper for everyone if I order the parts and sell individuals.

Any how, I can say that finally have a tested working kit. It can be set default to 'ESC off' or 'Sport Mode' and can cycle through the different modes using a single press. Since this project will be open source, I'm hoping others will pitch in code to add the functionality I don't have much time for. Like being able to program the default straight from the button.

I'll post back in a few days with the kit assembled and some more details on the parts.

At this point I'm not interested in making this a commercial product any more (looks like JDG already kind of did that) but rather a cheaper alternative if you want to spend less. I just want this to be a cool feature that is accessible and affordable to the masses.

Stay tuned... and I'd like to see how many of you out there would be interested in a parts only kit?
Glad I'm not the only one with this idea! I have one as well, been testing it. I didn't feel $80 for something I could throw together for about 10 bucks, especially where I'd have to buy two modules that I'd have to switch if I wanted to go between Sport mode and traction off, whereas mine you can switch between and store in EEPROM. I would have totally been interested in yours, which is more of what I was thought was going to be the end product.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's working!

VIDEO!!!

2. Optocoupler
3. Wiring

View attachment 18513

Awesome! Yeah, my goal was really to make it a final product that was truly plug and play. I didn't want to leave any room for tweaking/programming by the end user.

I also thought maybe you sold your car since you weren't active on the forum anymore... Glad you got it all completed (and for much cheaper!).

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #74
[MENTION=4176]nickstewartroc[/MENTION]

That's cool! I like the eeprom idea. You could store the value and then maybe use a long hold during bootup or prior to starting the car to set? I'm thinking hold down the esc button, turn on the car and if the button is held then it stores a new value in eeprom like cycling through the 'default'. so if you have sport as default and you want to change to esc off then hold down the button before turning on the car, program checks for button press in void setup and if it is held then it rewrites the eeprom for the next value (esc off) then the unit boots and loads the newly written default.

If you don't mind me asking, what platform did you use? And how does your module 'press' the esc button, using a mofset, just an output pin or something else?

[MENTION=4176]nickstewartroc[/MENTION]

That's cool! I like the eeprom idea. You could store the value and then maybe use a long hold during bootup or prior to starting the car to set? I'm thinking hold down the esc button, turn on the car and if the button is held then it stores a new value in eeprom like cycling through the 'default'. so if you have sport as default and you want to change to esc off then hold down the button before turning on the car, program checks for button press in void setup and if it is held then it rewrites the eeprom for the next value (esc off) then the unit boots and loads the newly written default.

If you don't mind me asking, what platform did you use? And how does your module 'press' the esc button, using a mofset, just an output pin or something else?
Ended up using an Arduino Nano, built in voltage regulator and usb port, coupled with an opto-isolator to keep the "car" and "device" separate

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #76
It's Finished!

I assembled and finished testing the module today with great results!

After assembly, this is roughly what the final product will look like:

esc1.jpg

I've also made a few changes to the code to add some features I think people will appreciate.

New feature #1:

Programming! You can now program your desired mode right from the car. The device will not be hard coded, you can select any of the modes and program them easily right from the ESC OFF button. This means that in summer you can set ESC OFF and in winter you can revert back to the factory default ON or dial it back a bit and set SPORT mode. Going to the track? Make sure you set ESC OFF to ensure you are having the most fun, then set it back to SPORT before you leave.

New feature #2:

Valet Mode! (Or dealership protection mode) Disable the ESC button entirely so that when the car leaves your watchful eye, you can be sure that no one is fussing with the ESC. Just keepin' em' honest... And with built in programming, you can switch this on and off in just minutes from the button.

So I have a few more parts on order and should have about 5 ready this weekend to sell. I'm going to post a for sale thread this week with all the details. I just need to determine shipping costs then I'll have a final price under $50.

Stay tuned...

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #77
Awesome! Yeah, my goal was really to make it a final product that was truly plug and play. I didn't want to leave any room for tweaking/programming by the end user.

I also thought maybe you sold your car since you weren't active on the forum anymore... Glad you got it all completed (and for much cheaper!).
Ha, yeah I'm basically a forum lurker so I can see why you thought I was gone! I always have way too many projects going at once and this one just took a back seat to the rest of them.

Nice job on the plug and play unit. Did you have to shave the female connectors or did you find one with the right molded keys? Last I looked the mod was the only way to do it.

Ford Community Posts