Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Homebrew 'EzESC' mod w/video

EzESC.JPG

Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce a project I've been tinkering with for the past few weeks. First, a little back story. I love my ST, its loads of fun and I have found that it is really easy to enjoy it on a daily basis due to the punchy midrange and the unique suspension tuning. To unlock the most fun, the electronic stability control needs to be in 'Sport' or 'ESC Off'. This of coarse is accomplished via the 'ESC OFF' button on the dash that we are all familiar with. Living in California, we have good weather almost year round, so I turn on sport mode basically every time I get in the car. Sometimes, though, I'll find myself in a position to have a little fun while entering a freeway on ramp just to have the fun killed by ESC kicking in because I forgot to hit the little button... Lame ... so I started devising an inexpensive, easy way to disable ESC automatically when starting the vehicle.

Enter the EzESC mod!

By inserting an Arduino board inline between the ESC button and the factory wiring, I'm able to activate ESC automatically when the vehicle starts, and enable full ESC off using a single press of the ESC OFF button. Right now the project is proof of concept. I've successfully tested the ESC button connected to an input on the Arduino, and am currently using the built in LED to act as the output which would otherwise be connected to the car controlling the ESC button.

Here is the demo video:

https://youtu.be/DUtlantIb4k

Otherwise, here is how things are wired

Factory configuration:
ABS Module <------ ESC OFF

Mod:
ABS Module <------ Arduino <------ ESC OFF

One of my goals for the project is plug and play compatibility using factory wiring. I started by sourcing the OEM connector for the ESC button which can be found here:
www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand-14569853.html?p=44138877
I could not, however, source the mating connector. I don't believe one was ever manufactured, since the male coupler in this case is the button itself. After going through my parts bin I found that the connector uses the same pin spacing and size as a standard motherboard header pin. Since those parts are cheap and available it makes things a whole lot easier!

The ideal location for the Arduino is in the space above the cubby behind the dash, there is enough room to place a small circuit board. Instead of using the $25 Uno, I found a $10 mini board from sparkfun that will fit the bill:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113

Now I just need to pull the console apart a little more to find a power source. Looking at factory wiring diagrams, I have a few options. Possible 12v from the cigarette lighter, or 5v from the USB connector. Since the mini board can be powered by either, the availability of connectors and ease of install will determine which source I use.

I've got a few orders coming for various parts so I'll try and update in the next few weeks as parts arrive and I do more testing. In the meantime, let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I hit the ESC button after the ignition button every time I start the car. This will be very convenient for drivers like us. Thanks for taking the time to help out! Subbed.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'd imagine you can also program them to default esc off by default ? If so I'm in :)
Florida = no snow. And when it rains, you def know it, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #5
I hit the ESC button after the ignition button every time I start the car. This will be very convenient for drivers like us. Thanks for taking the time to help out! Subbed.
Exactly! Of course the code and schematics will be shared for everyone that wants to make one. But if this does work our reliably I do plan on making a few to sell in order to recoup some of costs thrown into this.

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #6
I'd imagine you can also program them to default esc off by default ? If so I'm in :)
Florida = no snow. And when it rains, you def know it, lol
Definitely. I was thinking of having a switch on the board that will allow you to choose the default mode upon startup, either sport or ESC off. If I can find a small cheap two position switch that can be soldered easily I'll go that route, otherwise it will be a header with a dip switch. Either way it'll be in the final product for sure. I'm thinking about when I go to track days it would be nice to set it and forget it on ESC off. Hmm maybe even a small remote switch could be a possibility, maybe installed under the cubby? Would want it somewhere that wouldn't get in the way and be hit by things but still accessible enough that you could get to it without removing the dash to access.

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #10
Have you considered a raspberry pi zero (only $5) to cut down on costs?
I considered it too but the pi platform is not well suited for this application. Plus you would still need an micro SD ($$) just to make it work. The sparkfun Arduino pro mini is perfect for this at only $10. No need to run a shutdown process, just power on/power off, almost instant boot up time, easy to program and keep running, no OS to get corrupted etc.

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #11
[popcorn] Subbed. Is it possible to something like this using forscan?
I'm not super familiar with the limitations of forscan, but I would imagine it could be done. However, it would take someone with the software to investigate and create a patch plus you would have to visit the dealer to have it applied.

Basically what this guy would do:
http://www.fordpimods.com/
I would love to have the double honk disabled on the Fiesta :)

I'm targeting a low cost, plug and play solution with no factory wiring modifications that can be installed in minutes with no special tools.

In for options. I like the idea of a simple solution on this. Is it still a possibility to have "normal" (all the nannies on) more selectable with this, or is it just sport and all off? Just wondering as with all the snow and such and snow tires on, it's nice to have some esc assistance. also if anyone else drives the car, they're not freaked out when there's lights on the dash on a new car.

Thanks for stepping up to do this!

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #13
In for options. I like the idea of a simple solution on this. Is it still a possibility to have "normal" (all the nannies on) more selectable with this, or is it just sport and all off? Just wondering as with all the snow and such and snow tires on, it's nice to have some esc assistance. also if anyone else drives the car, they're not freaked out when there's lights on the dash on a new car.

Thanks for stepping up to do this!
You will be able to select 'ESC ON' by cycling through the modes:

VEHICLE START
Mode: On
MOD TURNS SPORT ON AUTOMATICALLY
Mode: Sport
[SINGLE ESC OFF PRESS]
Mode: ESC OFF
[SINGLE ESC OFF PRESS]
Mode: On

If I end up doing the remote selector I'll include a default 'ON' function as well. Yeah you're right, this would be helpful in climates with extended periods of bad weather. This way you could keep ESC On by default and you would still be able to cycle though the modes and select ESC OFF using a single press instead of holding down for 5 seconds.

Ohh and maybe a 'Valet' mode that would disable the ESC OFF button all together using the remote switch... that would be nice if you are letting someone borrow the car... well now I think I'm going to have to source a stealth selector switch

Thanks for the input, always welcomed!

Spaceman_Spiff

I considered it too but the pi platform is not well suited for this application. Plus you would still need an micro SD ($$) just to make it work. The sparkfun Arduino pro mini is perfect for this at only $10. No need to run a shutdown process, just power on/power off, almost instant boot up time, easy to program and keep running, no OS to get corrupted etc.
Fair enough.

Sent from my Spaceship

OP
spymac
Thread Starter #16
Thought I would post an update on the progress since there does seem to be a bit of interest in the project (glad its not just me!)

After some of the feedback I've been looking into a selector function to set the default mode. This would allow the end user to select the default mode to suit their need. Some use cases:

During summer I want ESC off as my default
During winter months I want full nannies
I want sport mode as my default but want the ability to set ESC OFF as the default for track days

So originally I was considering a separate switch or on-board selector to change modes but then it kinda hit me. The Arduino has built in EEPROM! Basically like a tiny hard drive that will save values when you turn the board off. This will allow a value to be saved that will be read on startup to determine the mode selection used (no physical switch required). So we could set the default mode using the ESC OFF button that will be saved for the next startup! Here is my thought on how to activate/set the default mode:

Set sport mode (dash light on)
Hold down ESC OFF for 10 seconds to enter programming mode (dash light turns off)
Press the ESC OFF to set default mode based on the following:
1 press = ESC ON (full nannies)
2 press = Sport Mode
3 press = ESC OFF
4 press = Can I borrow your car? / Dealership mode(see below)
Mode is set after 5 second timeout
Dash light blinks number selected
Dash light off to confirm programming mode exit

Can I borrow your car / dealership mode:
This mode will disable your ESC button for situations like loaning your car to a friend. Or when you take the car in for service to ensure the dealer techs don't have too much fun without your consent. (Bonus points of the service writer notes a defective ESC button on your service order!) Dealership mode can be disabled by setting the default mode again during the first minute the car has been started, or something like that.

I've got most of the programming done at this point but I'm sure there will be some additional tweaks once its installed for testing. This project is turning out to be a lot of fun so stay tuned for updates! Thanks to all who've subbed, asked questions and given feedback! As always, I welcome any suggestions, community involvement makes a better final product for everyone!

Thought I would post an update on the progress since there does seem to be a bit of interest in the project (glad its not just me!)

After some of the feedback I've been looking into a selector function to set the default mode. This would allow the end user to select the default mode to suit their need. Some use cases:

During summer I want ESC off as my default
During winter months I want full nannies
I want sport mode as my default but want the ability to set ESC OFF as the default for track days

So originally I was considering a separate switch or on-board selector to change modes but then it kinda hit me. The Arduino has built in EEPROM! Basically like a tiny hard drive that will save values when you turn the board off. This will allow a value to be saved that will be read on startup to determine the mode selection used (no physical switch required). So we could set the default mode using the ESC OFF button that will be saved for the next startup! Here is my thought on how to activate/set the default mode:

Set sport mode (dash light on)
Hold down ESC OFF for 10 seconds to enter programming mode (dash light turns off)
Press the ESC OFF to set default mode based on the following:
1 press = ESC ON (full nannies)
2 press = Sport Mode
3 press = ESC OFF
4 press = Can I borrow your car? / Dealership mode(see below)
Mode is set after 5 second timeout
Dash light blinks number selected
Dash light off to confirm programming mode exit

Can I borrow your car / dealership mode:
This mode will disable your ESC button for situations like loaning your car to a friend. Or when you take the car in for service to ensure the dealer techs don't have too much fun without your consent. (Bonus points of the service writer notes a defective ESC button on your service order!) Dealership mode can be disabled by setting the default mode again during the first minute the car has been started, or something like that.

I've got most of the programming done at this point but I'm sure there will be some additional tweaks once its installed for testing. This project is turning out to be a lot of fun so stay tuned for updates! Thanks to all who've subbed, asked questions and given feedback! As always, I welcome any suggestions, community involvement makes a better final product for everyone!
Very nicely done! That just answered every question I could have asked about this. I'm interested in one, possibly as the kit, more than likely as an assembled unit.
Kudos!