Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Member 18 Rep Points spymac's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Central Valley
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points

My Homebrew 'EzESC' mod w/video

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EzESC.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	12849

Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce a project I've been tinkering with for the past few weeks. First, a little back story. I love my ST, its loads of fun and I have found that it is really easy to enjoy it on a daily basis due to the punchy midrange and the unique suspension tuning. To unlock the most fun, the electronic stability control needs to be in 'Sport' or 'ESC Off'. This of coarse is accomplished via the 'ESC OFF' button on the dash that we are all familiar with. Living in California, we have good weather almost year round, so I turn on sport mode basically every time I get in the car. Sometimes, though, I'll find myself in a position to have a little fun while entering a freeway on ramp just to have the fun killed by ESC kicking in because I forgot to hit the little button... Lame ... so I started devising an inexpensive, easy way to disable ESC automatically when starting the vehicle.

Enter the EzESC mod!

By inserting an Arduino board inline between the ESC button and the factory wiring, I'm able to activate ESC automatically when the vehicle starts, and enable full ESC off using a single press of the ESC OFF button. Right now the project is proof of concept. I've successfully tested the ESC button connected to an input on the Arduino, and am currently using the built in LED to act as the output which would otherwise be connected to the car controlling the ESC button.

Here is the demo video:

https://youtu.be/DUtlantIb4k

Otherwise, here is how things are wired

Factory configuration:
    ABS Module <------ ESC OFF

Mod:
    ABS Module <------ Arduino <------ ESC OFF

One of my goals for the project is plug and play compatibility using factory wiring. I started by sourcing the OEM connector for the ESC button which can be found here:
    http://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-c...tml?p=44138877
    I could not, however, source the mating connector. I don't believe one was ever manufactured, since the male coupler in this case is the button itself. After going through my parts bin I found that the connector uses the same pin spacing and size as a standard motherboard header pin. Since those parts are cheap and available it makes things a whole lot easier!

The ideal location for the Arduino is in the space above the cubby behind the dash, there is enough room to place a small circuit board. Instead of using the $25 Uno, I found a $10 mini board from sparkfun that will fit the bill:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113

Now I just need to pull the console apart a little more to find a power source. Looking at factory wiring diagrams, I have a few options. Possible 12v from the cigarette lighter, or 5v from the USB connector. Since the mini board can be powered by either, the availability of connectors and ease of install will determine which source I use.

I've got a few orders coming for various parts so I'll try and update in the next few weeks as parts arrive and I do more testing. In the meantime, let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

Administrator Staff Team 830 Rep Points BoostBumps's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Palm Desert
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Great work!!!
    14' FiST: RaceRed | Recaro | NAV | MoonRoof | Red Calipers

COBB - AP | ATR | TBE | FMIC | IC Pipes | Sport Springs
    CPE - CAI JBR - OCC Kit CFM - Baffled Breather Cap DiY - Symposer Delete | RAM Intake Duct
    SPARCO - Assetto Gara Wheels 17x7 Rally Innovations - Front Splitter BOOMBA - Short Shift | Wing Risers
    LatheWerks - Hybrid Piston Shift Knob No Pistons - Dead Pedal | Battery Tie-Down | Pedal Spacer
    VLED - Fogs | Domes 3M - Window Tint Perrin - Shorty Antenna

Self-Tuned: e30 | 220whp | 325wtq (V-Dyno) Selectable Map Slots: e10 | e20 | e30 | ECO

Boostbumps Build Thread

BoostBumps Garage Pics

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Atl
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    I hit the ESC button after the ignition button every time I start the car. This will be very convenient for drivers like us. Thanks for taking the time to help out! Subbed.

Senior Member 784 Rep Points Sourskittle's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Lakeland
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    I'd imagine you can also program them to default esc off by default ? If so I'm in :)
    Florida = no snow. And when it rains, you def know it, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    291 WHP @6000rpm / 293 TQ@3900rpm VD ( NOT BHP )
    13.34@104.5mph "Show me the carfax"/trap speed

Cyborg Stock Upgraded Turbo setup
    http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/2857-Cyborg-upgraded-stock-Turbocharger-system

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Central Valley
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods247 View Post
    I hit the ESC button after the ignition button every time I start the car. This will be very convenient for drivers like us. Thanks for taking the time to help out! Subbed.
    Exactly! Of course the code and schematics will be shared for everyone that wants to make one. But if this does work our reliably I do plan on making a few to sell in order to recoup some of costs thrown into this.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Central Valley
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourskittle View Post
    I'd imagine you can also program them to default esc off by default ? If so I'm in :)
    Florida = no snow. And when it rains, you def know it, lol
    Definitely. I was thinking of having a switch on the board that will allow you to choose the default mode upon startup, either sport or ESC off. If I can find a small cheap two position switch that can be soldered easily I'll go that route, otherwise it will be a header with a dip switch. Either way it'll be in the final product for sure. I'm thinking about when I go to track days it would be nice to set it and forget it on ESC off. Hmm maybe even a small remote switch could be a possibility, maybe installed under the cubby? Would want it somewhere that wouldn't get in the way and be hit by things but still accessible enough that you could get to it without removing the dash to access.

Senior Member 1063 Rep Points Hijinx's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Fairview Heights
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Subbing.

Some Guy On The Internet
    "You need people like me...so you can point your fingers and say, 'That's the bad guy...' You're not good...you just hide/lie. I don't have that problem. I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy!"

Member 59 Rep Points Spaceman_Spiff's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    JeffCo
    State
    MO
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Have you considered a raspberry pi zero (only $5) to cut down on costs?
    '16 FiST: White Platinum, Black wheels.

New Member 10 Rep Points tacocat's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Minneapolis
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Subbed. Is it possible to something like this using forscan?
    2015 FiST Perf Blue
    Mountune RMM and Filter, COBB AP, Depo FMIC, JBR Knob
    Spring:
    Boomba Shift Plate and Bushings, Stage 3 93/E30?!

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Central Valley
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Rep Points
    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    Have you considered a raspberry pi zero (only $5) to cut down on costs?
    I considered it too but the pi platform is not well suited for this application. Plus you would still need an micro SD ($$) just to make it work. The sparkfun Arduino pro mini is perfect for this at only $10. No need to run a shutdown process, just power on/power off, almost instant boot up time, easy to program and keep running, no OS to get corrupted etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast