Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake smell when spinning tires?

Based

It is wet out and I was spinning the tires through first and second gear for fun with traction control off and ESC off, and when I get home I get out the car and I smell what smells like brakes or maybe clutch. I never slip clutch ever. And the smell is only on the front driver side by the wheel. I drove around for like 15 minutes to see if the smell goes away and it is still there but nothing is hot. What could it be?

Siestarider

At a track like Sebring, with lots of high torque power out turns, you can not only smell the brakes, you can feel TV intervening in putting power down. As good as this system is on street (you can obviously overload it on street too) for DD, it is abusive to front brakes on hard tracking. Hence LSD becoming my first (but not last) expensive mod for track. Still wears front brakes some, but night and day difference with a Quaife.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is torque vectoring a 'hard' program in the ECM (like the rev limiter), which absolutely cannot be totally 'written out' by a tuner, if an owner so chose to do for exclusive track use? [???:)]

I ran into this too... I thought it was my clutch but I was not slipping the clutch. I figured it was the TQ vectoring. Is this something that can be disabled if you goto a LSD? Hopefully it can be disabled with a tune.

As far as I understand it, it cannot be disabled through a tune because it is not the main ECU programming that controls it but rather the ABS controller. So you can't disable TVC without also disabling ABS.

I hear the same. Pull the ABS fuse for track days.
But then you lose ABS, probably the most significant safety system ever to be put into cars and the only electronic aid I actually want when I track my car. (Unfortunately my Miata doesn't have ABS though).

does the long press on the traction control button not disable torque vectoring ?
Nope, it stays on unfortunately.