Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird feeling about my ST over the holidays... now it's gone

During the holiday break, I was able to get my mind off of work, and, for the first time in a while, think about my car. Which I love, and have modified very slightly to my taste. Cobb Stage 2, Ford Motorsport wheels, a few other toys. But now that I wasn't concentrating on work, suddenly I needed to do a bunch of things to my car. Needs new wheels... searching the web for different wheel styles. Which ones do I want.. how much could I sell my wheels for? Need a downpipe and a catback. Yeah, I know I wasn't going to do it, I'll need to get the car smogged in CA eventually, but who cares.. I need it. And stripes. What kind of stripes would look good on my car? Ooh, how about dark blue to go against the white paint?

I didn't buy anything. There was a guy on Craig's listing a Cobb catback, but said he sold it already and didn't take down the post. Close as I got. Now that I'm back to the grind, guess what? The car is fine as it sits. I like the wheels, why did I want to change them again? Stripes? Cripes I'm almost 50. Do I want every kid in a Civic on my butt? Downpipe? What was I thinking?

Very strange... I don't know if the holidays just make us want to spend a lot of money. I did it last year, and got all of my stage 2 stuff and wheels. Only thing I still might want to get from my holiday mental binge is a powered subwoofer, but I probably won't do that either.

Till next Christmas, of course.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I got the subwoofer. That and some high pass filters ($10 each) on the full range speakers made a huge difference in the sound. Don't regret it one bit...except for not doing it sooner.

Yeah I caved on that feeling and splurged on a catback, rally armor mudflaps and a clear bra last and this week.

I got mine in late November but I didn't have the self control that you did. Within two weeks I had installed a RMM and hi flow filter. Next week was the AP3. Then the gas pedal lifter and short throw kit. Today will be the new intake and USB port for CarPlay.

My pocketbook is grumbling but I'm also very happy with how it sits right now.

jeff

2000 Post Club
During the holiday break, I was able to get my mind off of work, and, for the first time in a while, think about my car. Which I love, and have modified very slightly to my taste......Now that I'm back to the grind, guess what? The car is fine as it sits. I like the wheels, why did I want to change them again? Stripes? Cripes I'm almost 50. Do I want every kid in a Civic on my butt? Downpipe? What was I thinking?

Very strange...
Thanks for this intelligent post. You and I are very similar in our approach and feelings and I really relate to this. I've gone way too far in the past modding a car searching for some feeling but it never gets fully satisfied. Spend too many thousand and you're driving a Fiesta ST for the price of a Golf R or Audi S3. Don't want to do that. I'm 44 now and I think I've reached equilibrium with all of this....the itch is still there to keep buying crap but in the back of my mind I realize there is a level of contentment and thriftiness that is more reasonable than chasing the next bling or the next bump in HP in order to satisfy my need for affirmation or attention.

Still somewhere in there there is that equilibrium....that place of being creative to a point of enjoying the car but also balancing it with actual happiness and contentment (and not charging up a credit card with car parts). I have a money jar for mod money that fills up from side jobs and gifts....tends to be one or two thousand a year. That's the money I spend on mods or guitars or other stuff, it makes it fun and I tend to appreciate the stuff I buy and enjoy it after saving up for it slowly, planning out the next mod, researching, etc.....

On another note don't throw out the stripes idea....for about $30 I made some very nice custom vinyl stripes for my car and I must say they're one of my favorite mods and give the car a truly unique look.

I totally get it. Just picked up a used 2015 with 9000 miles. The used car dealer applied a black stripe. Its sweet, and I want a RMM and to start buying more stuff. I am over 50!

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the affirmation guys. My last car is a testament to going over the edge. A 2002 Mustang that I had modded to the point that my wife did a very difficult but heartfelt intervention, telling me that she didn't want to ride in it anymore. It was stupid fast, but also stupid uncomfortable for a daily driver.

The ST was the replacement. I have a fast motorcycle, so I can feed the need for speed, and am happy with the FIST as it sits... for now. Might still do some subtle graphics and the sub.

Chris G

Hell, I'm only 31 and I can relate to what you posted big time. Holiday break, holiday sales, a lot of curiosity as to what I could or should buy...

Hit the freeway and started working again and realized that I'm not certain I should spend any more money on mods. I've had my FiST very mildly modded (mostly handling) for about 2.5 years now. It's still fun, it's still quick, and at the end of the day I'm not certain what spending another $1000+ on more mods will do...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I got the power I wanted, nice lightweight wheels, coilovers, and now I don't want to spend any more money on the car. The best feeling is when youre satisfied and can put the money to things better spent

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm almost 50. Do I want every kid in a Civic on my butt?

I'm heading towards 62, and THIS ^^^ is my biggest fear once I install the Nexus CBE next month! LOL

Luckily for me, there are not too many of the ricetard 'street racers' around this immediate area, but I DO see some serious 'tuner' STIs/Evos from time to time.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I don't think people tune the newer civics like they used to with the older ones.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #13
I shudder to think of what my wife's '98 Civic looks like now, a few years after we sold it...

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I don't think people tune the newer civics like they used to with the older ones.
They do. I have a 16 Civic LX and I visit the forums from time to time to see what people are up to.

In regards to the topic, it always comes back to goals. Whether it's a few things here or there to make it "yours," or 1/4 mile, or the most harrowing, power... The goals you've set dictate happiness in modding, or nerve... whichever comes first. I don't think of money as a permanent road block in modding. It's a hobby that, albeit expensive, can be saved up for. Cheers to the OP for having realized his goals. Keep your realized goal close to heart, tax season is upon us.

Some Guy On The Internet

Ford Community Posts