Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil deposits on a couple sparkplugs

DvC

Going through tune revisions with [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] and they asked that i pull the spark plugs and here was quite a bit of oil on one of the plugs. what is the possible cause? Car only has 17k miles on it and plugs have ~5k miles on them and are less than 6 months old. car was OTS stg 3 before the turbo upgrade. Doesnt look like oil hit the tip of the plug. all the other plugs were clean. [MENTION=5039]Jesse[/MENTION]

Plug closest to the coolant reservoir

2 Plug from reservoir

3rd

4th Plug nearest the air intake filter

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Can you post pictures of the tip? They look normal from that angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Also where on the plug is oil? I have seen people have oil down in the plug valley from someone being reckless with their oil filling during changes.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Plug number one is close to the oil cap and normally is nasty from someone spilling oil. Carbon on the threads is typically the plug was not torqued right as well.

OP
DvC

DvC

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Russ, makes me feel a bit better. All the plug tips were clean and looked the same. the one with all the oil on it was the one closest to the oil cap. i ordered new plugs just in case, anyway.

here is the one closes to the cap

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thanks Russ, makes me feel a bit better. All the plug tips were clean and looked the same. the one with all the oil on it was the one closest to the oil cap. i ordered new plugs just in case, anyway.

here is the one closes to the cap
No prob! Happens all the time! We got plugs in stock and ready to ship if you need some!

Russ

Hey man, Yes everything russ said is correct and what I would also guess, probably from oil spilled as its close to the filler cap. Also double check the filler cap hasn't been leaking from a loose/missing/leaking o-ring. I would just clean the plug with a rag and re-use it I don't think there is reason to replace the plug. If its been in there for a little bit sometimes the oil can ruin the ignition coil boot but usually you can just clean it off

If you want stop by the shop I can take a look and clean it/inspect it (No charge just takes a couple minutes) If you want to do it yourself just use some anti-seize on the plug threads when your done cleaning.