Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Bangkok
    Country
    Thailand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Points

Upgrading suspension without changing ride height

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I live in Thailand, where the roads are worse than terrible. I'm keen to tighten up the suspension, to reduce body roll and acceleration and braking related pitching/dipping. The large, poorly formed speed humps, numerous potholes and unlevel pavement all mean that lowering is not really an option.
    I was reading about the ST200 suspension modifications: how Ford engineers increased the sway bar diameter and rate so that they could soften the spring/damper rates. Is that feasible on a stock suspension? For example, is upgrading to the Eibach or Cobb front/rear sway bars (also with uprated links and bushes) likely to tighten the suspension up the way I want, without having to lower roll centre and/or increase spring rates? (I've also not seen uprated standard height springs available).
    Cheers

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Peoria
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Points

1 Likes

I think you may be looking for quality coilovers that can retain the stock height. Sway bar upgrades will only help roll, not ride. You might contact MeisterR about their ZetaCRD+ coilovers for your application. Otherwise, there is a strut folks talk about that will help ride and handling. If I remember correctly, it's a Koni "Gold" something. I'm sure someone else will chime in here shortly.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points
    City
    SoCal
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Points

I understand the Bilstein PSS/B14 coilovers for the "regular" Fiesta also fit the FiST and allow the ride height to be very close to stock. Only what I have read from informal resources.

+1 on Kazz's idea to contact MeisterR.
    2014 Fiesta ST, Oxford White, Recaros, Navigation, Symposer Delete ($4 Expansion Plug), FSWerks Short Shift (25% setting), COBB AP3 (OTS 91 v220), Fiesta Aluminum Spare Tire (-16.6 lbs), 205/45-16 BFG Sport Comp 2 on 16x7 ET40 Maxxim Winner (-16.4 lbs), K&N Air Filter

Member 49 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points
    City
    Greensburg
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Points

I'd start with uprated dampers - check out Koni's. Stiffening either the spring rate or the anti-sway bar stiffness is going to hurt the ride (unless you're bottoming out on the stock string).

Lightening unsprung weight will have a huge affect on ride quality - a Wilwood BBK will save 5kg/corner which will make a very noticeable improvement. If you stay with the stock brakes then you can use a set of 15x7 Braids which are almost indestructible, save you 2kg a corner, and allow you to run a higher profile tire as well.

New Member 9 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Milwaukee
    State
    WI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Points

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Swaybars may be a good option, but keep in mind with that, when you stiffen the bars, you're still transferring that motion to the other side when the car is not in transition or the body set in roll....
    '16 Fiesta St (Recaros and a 'roof) HS auto-x car and HPDE toy
    '07 Civic SI Sedan (8400rpm of lulz. HPDE, TT, STX for autox, DD)
    '97 Neon ACR (Chump/LeMons car)
    '92 Spirit R/T (Lotus headed, G-Pa's BA Barkalounger)
    '87 Shelby CSX #669 ("stock" :) )