Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY Wing risers

grnmachine02

I've seen this done on the FoST, is it the same scenario on the FiST? Or is there some glaring difference in the way the wing mounts on the Fiesta that the DIY method wouldn't work? Yes, I could go pull off the wing and try it out, but dammit it's cold out and I'm lazy.

TUX15ST

If you dont wanna spend the money on the boomba ones, just buy the knock offs on ebay for half the price and at least have something decent

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #3
True. I got a mini 3d printer for Christmas, and was thinking about whipping up some spacers. Maybe i'll just give it a shot and see what happens. It'll be damn near 70 here tomorrow, so might as well enjoy the good weather.

If it doesn't work, I'm only out my time and $2 worth of filament.

AzNightmare

[video=youtube;6WSAMATu1_0]...[/video]

Doesn't lift as much as the boomba one though.

[video=youtube;6WSAMATu1_0]...[/video]

Doesn't lift as much as the boomba one though.
I actually like the look of that much better than any of the other riser kits. The right amount of lift without it looking like you Lego'd the spoiler on.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #6
Yeah I watched that video the other day. I've got nothing going on tonight, I'll whip up some spacers on the printer and see what's what.

Yeah I watched that video the other day. I've got nothing going on tonight, I'll whip up some spacers on the printer and see what's what.
Let us know what materials you use. Seems straight forward, but I would like to make one trip to Home Depot instead of multiple trips.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #8
Will do! I'm gonna try with PLA filament, but that may prove to weak. I'm going to start at an inch, but I'll update this thread sometime tomorrow with some first draft pictures.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #9
Last night I printed some spacers. Some half , some three quarter, and some one inch in height. These are not very strong as I didn't want to waste a ton of filament on the first rough draft. I'll try and get them test fit this afternoon.

These won't move the wing towards the back of the car like the Boomba ones do. They will only lift the wing off the hatch.

I'm not sure if I'm going to only space the sides, or spaces the sides and the middle of the wing as well. More science is required.

Last night I printed some spacers. Some half , some three quarter, and some one inch in height. These are not very strong as I didn't want to waste a ton of filament on the first rough draft. I'll try and get them test fit this afternoon.

These won't move the wing towards the back of the car like the Boomba ones do. They will only lift the wing off the hatch.

I'm not sure if I'm going to only space the sides, or spaces the sides and the middle of the wing as well. More science is required.
Great progress, keep us posted.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #11
Annnnnnnd....I'm an idiot. Forgot to go get longer hardware during lunch, so no progress tonight. Will probably be on hold until next week. I sell and service plows and spreaders and we've got weather coming in this weekend so I'm sure I'll be up to my eyeballs in last minute customers. Will update ASAP.

Annnnnnnd....I'm an idiot. Forgot to go get longer hardware during lunch, so no progress tonight. Will probably be on hold until next week. I sell and service plows and spreaders and we've got weather coming in this weekend so I'm sure I'll be up to my eyeballs in last minute customers. Will update ASAP.
Any updates? I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot and couldn't find anything that was the same thread and pitch as the outer bolts that hold the spoiler to the trunk.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #13
Whoops! Forgot to update. Yeah I ran into the same thing. I'm gonna try the Ace hardware down here tomorrow. I'll try and make some progress before the end of the week. Between work and wedding planning, time is slim. I should hopefully at least have something by Friday.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #15
Actually, I do have an update. This will work, but not with PLA. The spacers I made simply for test fitting melted into a puddle inside my car on a 80 degree day. I'm currently attempting to setup my printer to use ABS. Back to the drawing board.

Actually, I do have an update. This will work, but not with PLA. The spacers I made simply for test fitting melted into a puddle inside my car on a 80 degree day. I'm currently attempting to setup my printer to use ABS. Back to the drawing board.
Just a FYI, depending on your printer, there are other options than ABS. I have an I3 clone that's not enclosed and I went through a whole kg spool of ABS trying to print simple parts. It just would not stick to the bed and would warp like crazy the farther you got from the bed. There are advanced PLAs that have the heat resistance of ABS and are as easy to print with as PLA. Just a heads up, sure many of these printers "can" print ABS, but it doesn't mean the print will be very good. Here is what I have used without issue. My pedal spacer hasn't had any issues in the hot SC summers.
https://www.toybuilderlabs.com/coll...roducts/algix-3d-fuel-pla?variant=11669574596