Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST Octane Academy 2017

joesiris

when I google mapped it from my house it said 32 hours, so yeah I would def have to stop for an overnight, for meals, restroom breaks. I don't mind putting miles on, I just wonder if flying would be easier..def less fun though

neeqness

1000 Post Club
when I google mapped it from my house it said 32 hours, so yeah I would def have to stop for an overnight, for meals, restroom breaks. I don't mind putting miles on, I just wonder if flying would be easier..def less fun though
When I do road trips I usually go in a group and we usually take turns driving. This way you can save money and a lot of time.

Another option if saving money is important is scouting out campgrounds on the way within a days drive and pitching tents there or rest stops to take a nap in. I used to fly a lot but now I do that only if going out the country or when time is of the essence.

The added benefit of not having to rent a car when I get where I'm going is a significant bonus and I get to drive my FiST which is icing on the cake (Automatic transmissions bore me to no end). Plus you can sightsee on the way if you are so inclined. There is almost always an interesting place to see.

But I acknowledge that I may like driving more than most...so I might be a tad biased, lol.

If any of you guys wanna sell those lovely Octane Academy ST badges once you complete the course, please let me know. I've got cash in hand and PayPal ready! [driving]
I have molten orange and the rear ST badge is almost invisible. I'm looking forward to upgraded to the Octane Academy version. Can we buy extras, I wonder?

When I do road trips I usually go in a group and we usually take turns driving. This way you can save money and a lot of time.

Another option if saving money is important is scouting out campgrounds on the way within a days drive and pitching tents there or rest stops to take a nap in. I used to fly a lot but now I do that only if going out the country or when time is of the essence.

The added benefit of not having to rent a car when I get where I'm going is a significant bonus and I get to drive my FiST which is icing on the cake (Automatic transmissions bore me to no end). Plus you can sightsee on the way if you are so inclined. There is almost always an interesting place to see.

But I acknowledge that I may like driving more than most...so I might be a tad biased, lol.
Agreed...we don't have as far to go, but totally plan on having some fun on the trip there...cutting through Vegas and that! Looking as forward to the drive as I am the Octane Academy...

Agreed...we don't have as far to go, but totally plan on having some fun on the trip there...cutting through Vegas and that! Looking as forward to the drive as I am the Octane Academy...

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yup! I sure hope they'll still let me sign up.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
There are a couple of us on here going June 4/5...
For me unfortunately, that's near my b-day. I usually go to Catalina around that time. But not always, we'll see. The problem is I might not know for sure until it's too late...

For me unfortunately, that's near my b-day. I usually go to Catalina around that time. But not always, we'll see. The problem is I might not know for sure until it's too late...

I was actually hoping to go at the end of June closers to my birthday so I could justify it as a "birthday trip"...lol

June's out for me. May go in July - wonder how the weather is there.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I was actually hoping to go at the end of June closers to my birthday so I could justify it as a "birthday trip"...lol
Lol. Birthday trips are great! Nice thing about Catalina on your birthday is the ferry is free and there are usually discounts (or complimentary stuff) for most things that you may want to do or places you may want to eat at.

I originally wanted to go to the academy in March or April because it can get really hot in Utah after those months except in the mountains. But I have another trip planned then now so I have been thinking May...but we'll see. Looks like I'm going to actually have to use my calendar this year, lol.

joesiris

def rather drive, I love the outdoors, so camping is something I am used to, I don't really know anyone who would go with me though, cant fit my wife and 4 kids in the Fist, plus I have this bad habbit of dozing off in long car trips. But there is so much to see from here to Utah...I think if I did drive I would do 3 10 hour drive days, that would get me outta the house and id see some new places...my wife and kids already plan to go to florida for spring break maybe I should just do it then

neeqness

1000 Post Club
def rather drive, I love the outdoors, so camping is something I am used to, I don't really know anyone who would go with me though, cant fit my wife and 4 kids in the Fist, plus I have this bad habbit of dozing off in long car trips. But there is so much to see from here to Utah...I think if I did drive I would do 3 10 hour drive days, that would get me outta the house and id see some new places...my wife and kids already plan to go to florida for spring break maybe I should just do it then
Smoky mountains, colorado, grand tetons (very beautiful by the way). Haven't been to the other two but I'm planning to go real soon and likely this year. Of the three, I've only driven through the grand tetons and that was amazing. So glad it was still daytime. The whole group was all in awe. Grand Tetons are not far from Utah but might be a bit out of the way for you. Liked the sight of driving through there and it was an awesome way to end the trip. Yellowstone was nice too though not quite as beautiful. You could easily spend a couple days just driving around it.

Left Yellowstone and decided to pass through the Grand Tetons to head back to the Utah mountains just as the sun was going down and it was like Ohh...My...but I was driving so it was a struggle to keep my eyes on the road, lol. Plus, being the driver, my view wasn't the best...that was one time where I wished I wasn't, lol. It was still beautiful though. Can only imagine what it would have been like if we managed a hike or two through there...

If you decide to head to Yellowstone from Utah take that route. Went through Idaho to get there and it was nothing but greenish brown pastures, farmland, cattle, and the deep rich aroma of manure in the morning. Won't be doing that anytime soon, matter-of-fact if I never see Idaho again, I couldn't be any happier. Nothing against anyone from Idaho of course. [emoji4]

Lol. Birthday trips are great! Nice thing about Catalina on your birthday is the ferry is free and there are usually discounts (or complimentary stuff) for most things that you may want to do or places you may want to eat at.

I originally wanted to go to the academy in March or April because it can get really hot in Utah after those months except in the mountains. But I have another trip planned then now so I have been thinking May...but we'll see. Looks like I'm going to actually have to use my calendar this year, lol.
Definitely!! Lol...went to Catalina 2 years ago with my kids for my birthday...even went paras ailing there for free....best trip ever, hands down! As for the weather, anywhere but home is good in June...115 to 120 is our highs here around then, so hot in Utah is probably not so bad...lol. I can't wait to take that drive!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Definitely!! Lol...went to Catalina 2 years ago with my kids for my birthday...even went paras ailing there for free....best trip ever, hands down! As for the weather, anywhere but home is good in June...115 to 120 is our highs here around then, so hot in Utah is probably not so bad...lol. I can't wait to take that drive!
That's right. I forgot you were in the inland empire. In LA I'm not on the beach but can still feel the breeze in the afternoons and it rarely hits 100 in the summer...highs typically in the 90s so I guess I'm a little spoiled. But I suppose you will be fine.

I'm always looking forward to a drive though! Have one coming up next month! Can't wait either! [emoji4]

That's right. I forgot you were in the inland empire. In LA I'm not on the beach but can still feel the breeze in the afternoons and it rarely hits 100 in the summer...highs typically in the 90s so I guess I'm a little spoiled. But I suppose you will be fine.

I'm always looking forward to a drive though! Have one coming up next month! Can't wait either! [emoji4]
I look for excuses to drive...pretty much anywhere... and in the summer heat especially....pretty sure everywhere but Death Valley is cooler than us...lol..

[video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/366698310381618/permalink/376821106036005/[/video]

That link is a snippet of video from our GMR drive yesterday

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I look for excuses to drive...pretty much anywhere... and in the summer heat especially....pretty sure everywhere but Death Valley is cooler than us...lol..

[video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/366698310381618/permalink/376821106036005/[/video]

Lol! This car is kind of addicting. Not a bad video either. Seems like the pulled no stops there recording it all from the air. Did it cost anything?

Lol! This car is kind of addicting. Not a bad video either. Seems like the pulled no stops there recording it all from the air. Did it cost anything?
Not cost, and it was pretty cool watching the drone cruising around up there...pretty impressive flying since it was windy as hell up on the mountain too. They also had photographers setup throughout the canyon too. Looking forward to seeing more pics and videos from it. Meanwhile I went and got a gopro before we went, so we have some footage too.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Not cost, and it was pretty cool watching the drone cruising around up there...pretty impressive flying since it was windy as hell up on the mountain too. They also had photographers setup throughout the canyon too. Looking forward to seeing more pics and videos from it. Meanwhile I went and got a gopro before we went, so we have some footage too.
Nice.