Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST Octane Academy 2017

joesiris

Smoky mountains, colorado, grand tetons (very beautiful by the way). Haven't been to the other two but I'm planning to go real soon and likely this year. Of the three, I've only driven through the grand tetons and that was amazing. So glad it was still daytime. The whole group was all in awe. Grand Tetons are not far from Utah but might be a bit out of the way for you. Liked the sight of driving through there and it was an awesome way to end the trip. Yellowstone was nice too though not quite as beautiful. You could easily spend a couple days just driving around it.

Left Yellowstone and decided to pass through the Grand Tetons to head back to the Utah mountains just as the sun was going down and it was like Ohh...My...but I was driving so it was a struggle to keep my eyes on the road, lol. Plus, being the driver, my view wasn't the best...that was one time where I wished I wasn't, lol. It was still beautiful though. Can only imagine what it would have been like if we managed a hike or two through there...

If you decide to head to Yellowstone from Utah take that route. Went through Idaho to get there and it was nothing but greenish brown pastures, farmland, cattle, and the deep rich aroma of manure in the morning. Won't be doing that anytime soon, matter-of-fact if I never see Idaho again, I couldn't be any happier. Nothing against anyone from Idaho of course. [emoji4]
ive had this wicked itch to go out west for a while now. when I was younger (before I was married and all that) I met this gal who was here for the summer and she was from tempe AZ and I went to visit her for a couple weeks and we went to flagstaff and stuff but having lived there her whole life wasn't as interested in the grand canyon like I was, so I didn't get to see as much I wanted, not that you could ever see that much, there is so much. years later my ex wife and I took a trip to vegas for her birthday, we were there for a week then visited her family at seal beach CA. That's the extent of my west coast knowledge. Being from florida I can take the heat, especially since its drier heat out there, so one day id like to live out there for a bit, maybe when the kids are a bit older and don't need day care

joesiris

I look for excuses to drive...pretty much anywhere... and in the summer heat especially....pretty sure everywhere but Death Valley is cooler than us...lol..

[video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/366698310381618/permalink/376821106036005/[/video]

That link is a snippet of video from our GMR drive yesterday
That's a sweet little mini vid there. reminds me of that scene from Tokyo drift only in the daytime with domestic cars

That's a sweet little mini vid there. reminds me of that scene from Tokyo drift only in the daytime with domestic cars
True...explains why my 21 year old son was so excited about it...lol...he is currently doing an engine swap on my old Honda Civic hatchback....he has seen that movie so many times he probably knows it line by line...he was pretty jazzed about going to the meet with me... he is also going to go to the Octane Academy with me... makes a pretty decent copilot...lol

joesiris

True...explains why my 21 year old son was so excited about it...lol...he is currently doing an engine swap on my old Honda Civic hatchback....he has seen that movie so many times he probably knows it line by line...he was pretty jazzed about going to the meet with me... he is also going to go to the Octane Academy with me... makes a pretty decent copilot...lol
my oldest of 4 is only 12, but that's so great that the both of you share love of cars. I hope that one of them gets into with me. They like to help wash the cars, and whenever I install something new they like to be out in the garage watching, so that's a good sign... I just think of my brother in law sometimes, his dad (my father in law) is an engineer with a nack for mechanics, in fact he is a semi pro drag bike racer. He built his own custom drag bike, loves cars, and has a lot of cool equipment. But for some reason my brother in law never took to that kind of thing, was more into video games and such... how great would that have been to have like a father son race team. Oh well his loss, but one of the reasons "dad" and I get along so well

joesiris

my oldest of 4 is only 12, but that's so great that the both of you share love of cars. I hope that one of them gets into with me. They like to help wash the cars, and whenever I install something new they like to be out in the garage watching, so that's a good sign... I just think of my brother in law sometimes, his dad (my father in law) is an engineer with a nack for mechanics, in fact he is a semi pro drag bike racer. He built his own custom drag bike, loves cars, and has a lot of cool equipment. But for some reason my brother in law never took to that kind of thing, was more into video games and such... how great would that have been to have like a father son race team. Oh well his loss, but one of the reasons "dad" and I get along so well

I mostly have my uncle to thank...he taught me a lot about cars. He and I replaced our share of clutches, brakes, and whatever else we needed to. And fortunately, being a single mom I was able to pass this on to him, partly because hell someone's gotta do it... I'm just happy that he enjoys it so much too. Although our mailbox is painted black with blue racing stripes and a Hoonigan sticker up the side of it but, well you know...lol

neeqness

1000 Post Club
ive had this wicked itch to go out west for a while now. when I was younger (before I was married and all that) I met this gal who was here for the summer and she was from tempe AZ and I went to visit her for a couple weeks and we went to flagstaff and stuff but having lived there her whole life wasn't as interested in the grand canyon like I was, so I didn't get to see as much I wanted, not that you could ever see that much, there is so much. years later my ex wife and I took a trip to vegas for her birthday, we were there for a week then visited her family at seal beach CA. That's the extent of my west coast knowledge. Being from florida I can take the heat, especially since its drier heat out there, so one day id like to live out there for a bit, maybe when the kids are a bit older and don't need day care
I lived in Orlando for a few months. I love the thunderstorms. They were so beautiful. I used to wait for the storms hen they were coming to watch them. We don't get storms like that in SoCal...and they came everyday in the afternoon like clockwork no matter what the weather was like that morning...Even got to see the edge of a hurricane.

Was there last year also, drove to Miami, Orlando, Tampa Bay. Wish we could have cruised the Keys, will try to do that next time.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Is that Civic a manual? Does your son help you drive? Nice to have that extra bonding time with family when they love doing the same things. :)

Is that Civic a manual? Does your son help you drive? Nice to have that extra bonding time with family when they love doing the same things. :)
Yes, that Civic is a manual... majority of my vehicles have been. He would be helping me drive except that he.lost his license about a year ago...he is in the process of getting it back. But yes it is nice to enjoy these things together...we are constantly giving each other pointers on car stuff, of course his pointers to me usually involve LED lights, stickers, gopro, etc...lol. Kids...

joesiris

I mostly have my uncle to thank...he taught me a lot about cars. He and I replaced our share of clutches, brakes, and whatever else we needed to. And fortunately, being a single mom I was able to pass this on to him, partly because hell someone's gotta do it... I'm just happy that he enjoys it so much too. Although our mailbox is painted black with blue racing stripes and a Hoonigan sticker up the side of it but, well you know...lol
my dad was a senior chief in the navy and was always on deployments or just at work in general, he wasn't into cars anyway. After high school I fell in with some car guys and started to learn all I could. We'd tinker and stuff, and i guess nowadays youd call our cars ricers, but we loved them. Now fixing stuff is easier thanks to YouTube, I'm not that old (36) but man how much easier some stuff could've been with high speed internet back then. But then again i was always a sucker for a chiltons/Haynes manual

joesiris

I lived in Orlando for a few months. I love the thunderstorms. They were so beautiful. I used to wait for the storms hen they were coming to watch them. We don't get storms like that in SoCal...and they came everyday in the afternoon like clockwork no matter what the weather was like that morning...Even got to see the edge of a hurricane.

Was there last year also, drove to Miami, Orlando, Tampa Bay. Wish we could have cruised the Keys, will try to do that next time.
yeah that's the nicer part of florida, and yes theres a lot to see down there, and its super pretty in places. I am from Jacksonville FL, the "hood", which might as well be south GA, but yes the thunderstorms are just as nice, and the sunsets are too, just as nice in the hood as at the beach... A bunch of ppl ask me why did you move from floridat to come here and I'm like well its not much different. In truth Columbia SC is so very similar to jax...the climates are almost the same since we are in the piedmont here, and this city has that kinda run down feel to it too. Columbia is like squishing jax and gainsville together. I am proud of where i come from though

my dad was a senior chief in the navy and was always on deployments or just at work in general, he wasn't into cars anyway. After high school I fell in with some car guys and started to learn all I could. We'd tinker and stuff, and i guess nowadays youd call our cars ricers, but we loved them. Now fixing stuff is easier thanks to YouTube, I'm not that old (36) but man how much easier some stuff could've been with high speed internet back then. But then again i was always a sucker for a chiltons/Haynes manual
Lol....I have stacks of Chilton manuals... formerly my Uncle's...kind of funny because that is where we were too...no YouTube back then...my son will come ask me, and then if I don't know he goes to the Internet! Kinda crazy how much things have changed. I am liking having my son riding shotgun with me though, wouldn't trade it!

Registered for 4/2 and 4/3.

For those that have flown out, if I take home an 8:20PM flight the last day am I going to be upset I'm heading out to the airport early?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
What's everyone thoughts on the second day option? Is it worth it?
If I have it right, I think it really comes down to your wallet size and what its worth to you to be able to drive their mustang for the next day.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Just attended the octane academy last week. The second day in my opinion depends on as others said, your wallet, and your intent. I'm intended on getting into road racing more competitively and the extra day would given me another large chunk of track time (with a beautiful backdrop).

Speaking of which, a few videos I took:

Hot Laps
[video=youtube;Fcj2U6EwMTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcj2U6EwMTE[/video]

Urban Cross
[video=youtube;FLk1zVDuFs8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLk1zVDuFs8[/video]

What's everyone thoughts on the second day option? Is it worth it?
Did the ST day Monday, Mustang track day Tuesday.

It's a bit of money for the additional day, but it is well worth it if you can swing it. It is oh so worth it.

Super impressed with these little cars. On track the instructors said, "Just keep it in 3rd," and so I did. Had the thing bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd a good bit - for seconds at a time. These cars have definitely been beat on, and hold up surprisingly well. Took first in the autocross, FWIW.

Sounds like you had an AWESOME time! As much as I would like to try it, I couldn't justify it. I'm redirecting those funds to wheels and tires for AutoX.