Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear suspension issue that just popped up

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Car has 22,000 miles on it. Hasn't had a single issue on my taller than stock winter tires last winter or this winter up until tonight. Every time I turn left the right rear tire is eating away at the fender liner and rubbing on the steel underneath it (right by the back bumper). I don't think it's the tires, like I said I have had no issues at all up until today. And it does not rub at all even when really pushing it while turning right. Only while turning left and it barely takes any weight on that wheel to get it to rub. I have not hit anything like a snow bank or curb at all with this car, only the bad expansion joints and unavoidable potholes this crap country is plagued with. It seem like that corner is actually sitting lower than the other 3. Tire pressures are even and within a couple pounds of each other. I planned to take it ice racing for the first time ever later this month. Looks like that is off the boards now. Anyone have any where I should start looking to see if something is wrong, bent, or collapsed? Anyone have suspension issues at 22k? She's my only car and the first one I ever bought new. And I don't have the down time (or the money) to put a set of coilovers in that "might" fix the issue.

Spring could be broken, strut leaked it's fluid, other busted suspension parts. Take the wheel off and look or take it to the dealer?

I was going to say collapsed spring, blown shock, or possibly worst case scenario of a bent rear axle on that side.
Following, as I live in the same state, and have to drive on the same craptacular roads... :(

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
As far as the dealer found my liner slipped loose from the weight of snow and ice. And the taller than stock (by an inch) tires rubbed through the liner. They advised me to get smaller snow tires, and popped the liner back in place. I'll get that liner replaced in spring when I don't have to worry about snow for a while

As far as the dealer found my liner slipped loose from the weight of snow and ice. And the taller than stock (by an inch) tires rubbed through the liner. They advised me to get smaller snow tires, and popped the liner back in place. I'll get that liner replaced in spring when I don't have to worry about snow for a while
that's a whole lot cheaper than replacing a lot of hard parts. What size snows are you running?

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
205_55_16. It really needs a lot smaller. These were left over from my focus and are practically brand new.

Yeah, that's pretty tall. You could probably get away with a 205/50-16, but the 55's are getting pretty tall for these cars.
Glad it was an easy fix though.