Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does anyone left foot brake?

LFB is good to use if you want to rotate the car in a corner and also "checking" the pedal before the end of high speed sections.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
LFB is good to use if you want to rotate the car in a corner and also "checking" the pedal before the end of high speed sections.
The bolded above is especially useful for cars equipped with floating calipers, which experience severe pad 'knock back', due to play in their front wheel bearings. [wink] [thumb]

The bolded above is especially useful for cars equipped with floating calipers, which experience severe pad 'knock back', due to play in their front wheel bearings. [wink] [thumb]
My civic was horrible with this. Sometimes it would take 3-4 pumps for the brakes to take a set again... sometimes scary when hurling yourself towards T1 at Road America at 130'ish....

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It is quite common for caliper slide mounts to lockup... then break loose as things cool.

When they locked up on my prior car, I would take'em apart, clean them up, lube them up, install new end boots, swap out the rotors and... a year later, same thing. (no racing or riding brakes)

Mechanics and parts stores would want to replace the calipers... umm, non-sense.

Permanent solution was to use a high-speed plugin drill with a 2" diameter steel wire pipe cleaner brush to hone out the caliper slide mounts; and clean up the sleeve pins. Then lube them up with *quality* new rubber parts and rotors.

I recently came across this video which helps to explain how the ECU in the Fiesta ST reacts to LFB...
Seems to say there's around a 2 second overlap when on the accelerator first, then braking, before the power cuts off HOWEVER, if you let off the accelerator and brake first, then get back on the gas, there's no cut off! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlXb6h1b58

OP
B
Thread Starter #47
Great find on that video. I had Adam disable that via the Cobb, for LFB and brake boosting. It's a great skill I am trying to develop.

Great find on the throttle cut video, I was playing around with LFB this morning and was confused at why sometimes it cuts throttle and other times it doesn't. I'm surprised Cobb OTS doesn't disable this.

BTW this video from Team O'Neal inspired me to try LFB again. After reading more about it, I think it's definitely a great skill to have in your tool box if you're into performance driving.

[video]https://youtu.be/PdnL0X7_WcM[/video]

On an autocross course I left-foot brake into every corner that doesn't require a downshift (which is most of them), and then modulate the brake and throttle simultaneously to balance the car mid corner. For the few corners that require a downshift I will right-foot brake and heel-toe downshift, trail off the brake, transfer right foot to throttle, and then if needed I'll left-foot brake for balance before really applying power on exit.

Coming from a background of autocrossing Formula SAE cars, the FiST is the first street car I've autocrossed. I really struggled the first time because I wasn't strapped in with a harness, I felt like I was just rolling around in the seat and couldn't keep my feet steady to work the pedals effectively. A CG-Lock solved that issue!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Great find on the throttle cut video, I was playing around with LFB this morning and was confused at why sometimes it cuts throttle and other times it doesn't. I'm surprised Cobb OTS doesn't disable this.

BTW this video from Team O'Neal inspired me to try LFB again. After reading more about it, I think it's definitely a great skill to have in your tool box if you're into performance driving.

[video]https://youtu.be/PdnL0X7_WcM[/video]
Those 'Timo' O'Neil vids are VERY informative!! [thumb] [cool]

^^^Are you an automotive engineer, or did you solely drive for the team?
I held design, leadership, and driving roles in my four years in the program, I'm a mechanical engineer. Our FSAE cars only had two pedals, with a hand clutch/shifter mechanism.

Reviving this thread…

Has there been a solution to eliminate permanent brake over throttle cutoff? Anyone tried a Forscan?

My 2014 FiST is a dedicated RallyX car so LFB is a must. I have a friend with two FiSTs, one for RallyX and one for stage rallies so I asked him how he addressed this, to which he said that removing the blue and white Cruise Control / Hill Assist plunger module above the brake pedal would allow for it. I patched a wire into it with a switch and then even pulled the whole module and I still can’t LFB for more than a few seconds before the throttle cuts off.

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I used to use lfb in my Corolla rally car. Going into a dip with a corner and an uphill exit, you needed to keep the revs up and the momentum going. Took a bit of practice but it worked!

Reviving this thread…

Has there been a solution to eliminate permanent brake over throttle cutoff? Anyone tried a Forscan?

My 2014 FiST is a dedicated RallyX car so LFB is a must. I have a friend with two FiSTs, one for RallyX and one for stage rallies so I asked him how he addressed this, to which he said that removing the blue and white Cruise Control / Hill Assist plunger module above the brake pedal would allow for it. I patched a wire into it with a switch and then even pulled the whole module and I still can’t LFB for more than a few seconds before the throttle cuts off.
Based on reading the thread, it sounds like you would likely need a standalone ecu

Erick_V

Reviving this thread…

This can be disabled by your tuner, at least it can be by Stratified. I can't see why Adam (Tune+) or Jason (Dizzy) couldn't either

Screenshot (95).png

Fusion Works

If you turn of traction control, it won't interfere. ON track is the only place I really worry about this. IF you need to LFB and modulate the throttle on the street, we might need to have a conversation about the right time and place for that aggressive driving.

I have no issues with this on track. I also LFB on the street, but am not trying to modulate the throttle at the same time, or I turn off the TC and it doesn't interfere.