Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

all-season suggestions

So I'm looking into wheels/tires this spring since the stockers are nearing their end. Leaning toward an all-season vs summer since I live in the Midwest and we get a huge variety of changing weather. Don't think I wanna go through the whole multiple sets of summer/winter tires at this point. Maybe later on but for now, I'm thinking all-season. I definitely don't plan on tracking the car with that setup but I would like a higher performance a/s tire. I had the Yokohama avid envigors on a previous vehicle and liked them but I haven't seen em in a 205/40.... Researching a little has brough me to these four so far...

Falken Ziex
General GMax
Toyo Proxes 4
Pilot Sport AS3

What do you guys think? The Toyos seem to be the widest at 8.5 on a 7.5" rim. Doesn't list the tread width though. Gmax is 8.4 and AS3 is 8.3. AS3 has the widest tread at 7.6 (still gotta verify the proxes tread width)...
Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

OP
D
Thread Starter #2
I'll also add that I'm most likely going with the xxr 527s 17x7.5 +40 or possibly the Rota grids 17x8 +40. I'd really like the Rota titans but can't find them in flat black

i live in pittsburgh, PA so i get some sporadic weather, but typically low to moderate snow and cold temps. steep hills and bad roads means i prefer snow tires even in just a little snow. summer tires are a no-go. i have a set of snow wheels/tires that i use if there's legitimate snow. my goal for A/S is cold traction and usable in <2" snow which is 90% of my winter days.

i used falken ze950 on my old car and thought they were ok. definitely less grip than the stock summer tires but they didn't get much worse in cold temps. you could exceed their grip limits on the street. never got a chance to try them in the snow though looking at the tread i would guess they'd be better than the Neogen below.

on my new car i went with Nitto Neogen and i am really impressed. very good grip, even with temps in the single digits. i think the grip is more than i can exploit on the street (talking more lateral grip, i can still spin them). i still have a set of summer wheels/tires but i might not replace those tires when they're done and instead just keep the Neogens. i used them in a bit of snow recently (dusting one time and ~1" the other) and didn't die, but it was not confidence inspiring. definitely lose grip easily and have to go slow and smooth. i personally would not be comfortable with them in >2" of snow on untreated roads. also not good on ice. i have 205/45/16 on 7" wide rims and they fit square.

hope this helps

I had the pilot sport AS3's on my Miata and also had them on the Fiesta before switching to a dedicated summer/winter tire setup. I absolutely LOVED them in the summer, fall, and spring, but they are just ok in the winter. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them in heavy snow and ice, but I think they are one of the best all season tire for grip in dry/wet pavement. If you are going to be having more bad weather, my friend has continental DSW's and says they handle great in the snow. Not sure they come in this size though, so you'll have to check.

I ran Conti DWS on my C5 Z06 and had no issues with bad weather... even drove though several inches of snow! I am ordering a set for the ST in the next week or so in 215/45/17.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys... We don't get a ton of snow here, just a few decent storms throughout the winter. And if it gets too bad, I just stay in for a little while. I don't need to go anywhere that bad. Lol. But I would like something that does good in the chillier weather... I'll probably go with a dedicated summer/winter setup but not right now.

If you go up to a 45 series tire it opens up your options a lot.

Two tires I have personally ran and loved them both are the Conti DWS and I have been on BFG Sport Comp-2 A/S for about 500 miles and am happy with them, especially for the price. The BFGs are significantly stiffer, altho I think they stiffened up the new DWS 06.

I have heard great things about the AS3, but they aren't cheap.

All season tires are a compromise. They're nowhere near as good as a dedicated summer performance tire and they're nowhere near as good as a dedicated snow tire. I'm in the middle of the state and every car I have that will drive during all four seasons has a dedicated summer set of wheels and tires as well as a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires. Sure, it's an investment. But you'll be happy every time you want traction and cornering in the summer. And you'll be happy every time you want traction and cornering in the winter.

Just my $.02!

DangerMouse

I am a huge advocate for dedicated winter tires. BUT if you must, I ran the conti dws on my scion xb for a couple winters without issues, actually pretty impressive. They were a 205/50/16, not that it really matters since it wasn't a fiesta. I would get them again if I needed an all season.

Zormecteon

Love the Pilot Sport A3. the A3 + should be out in our size shortly if not quite yet. I'm on my second set.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
It doesn't look like the contis come in a 205/40. The AS3+ do.... Might be between those and the proxes 4s...

So when do you guys typically switch to your winter sets? When there's the actual threat of snow or when temps get down below 40s consistently? I'd be afraid of running the winter set unnecessarily...

It doesn't look like the contis come in a 205/40. The AS3+ do.... Might be between those and the proxes 4s...

So when do you guys typically switch to your winter sets? When there's the actual threat of snow or when temps get down below 40s consistently? I'd be afraid of running the winter set unnecessarily...
I switch when it starts hitting around 40 consistently. Winter tires aren't just good for snow. They have much better grip even in the dry when the temperature drops due to the compound used.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have the General GMAX all seasons and they hold up pretty well to the conditions in Illinois. I bought a set of O.Z. Ultraleggeras and put the stock summer tires on those, and use my General GMAX and the stock rados for the winter/cold. Would a set of winter tires hold up better than the GMAX? Probably, but I like to be able to rip the car around a corner every once in a while in the winter when the conditions are dry. I also love the tread pattern on the GMAX. I can't compare it to the other tires that you have narrowed it down to as I have no experience with them, but I would recommend the GMAX as they have been pretty solid for me.

I have a unique reminder system. It starts with my ex-wife's birthday. Around here, crap winter weather seldom gets serious before 11/12 - her birthday. So that's the date by which I know to change to the car's winter setup. Conversely, and just as unique, my first real summer job was outdoor groundskeeping and it snowed 4-5 inches on April 14th. My first day of my summer job was shoveling snow. So I don't get rid of my winter setup before April 14th.

Obviously, your schedule may very, although we are very close in geography! LOL

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF you are the very least concerned about snow/slush/ice performance (even shallow depths), but want probably the greatest grip in cold DRY winter weather (in an 'all-season') the Neo Gens look like the best bet.

IF the exact opposite is true, then the Conti DWSes, or maybe the Sport Comp 2 All Seasons are probably some of the best.

I have not had the factory Pilot Sport AS/3s out in ANY snow yet (not even a dusting to 1/2") to be able to give an opinion on them in those conditions yet.
They ARE very good, and decently sticky (laterally), in the COLD (even down to 10*F so far) DRY weather though.

Zormecteon

As for the Pilot Sports.... Not great in the snow, more like adequate in light snow. Here tho, it rarely snows (but this year is an exception as it's been hanging around for a about 3 weeks now!) but it does get below 40 degrees, where Summer tires fail completely, and there is lots or rain, so a tire that grips in the wet is as important as it's grip in the dry.

I would do the General Gmax's, they are great. Or the pilot sports. I have both and both are great.