Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Toyota plans to release a 210 horsepower Yaris to compete with the Fiesta ST

Zormecteon

Part of the problem for Toyota is that their "niche" is reliable transportation. When you think of performance, do you think of Toyota? No. What was their last performance automobile? The Supra? The MR2? How long ago were they? Sure they race at LeMans, but have they ever won? (Didn't they loose because they broke last year? There's reliability!?) The point is that when buyers want a performance automobile they don't think of Toyota. Also, as F1 teams have come and gone, the engineering is not just something you can buy or bolt on. It takes dedication and time to get your engineering team up to snuff to be able to even compete at high levels. Mercedes has been making cars longer than anyone else, and has the engineering prowess that comes with time behind it, and their record proves this out. Ford has been racing since it's inception, and their decision to win at LeMans to celebrate 50 years proves their abilities. .. Who else could pull that off....... .. "I think we should win LeMans three years from now?" How long has Toyota been trying?

I'm sure it will be a nice comfortable piece of transportion that the whole family will appreciate. Performance? We'll see.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I most certainly HOPE that you are correct in your above assertions about the Nippon Giant concerning their latest foray into the WRC this year (that they cannot just throw their Camry/Corolla profit trillion$$ at the team to ensure/guarantee outright victory).

They HAVE been caught cheating in this series (and possibly others), despite the ingenuity and coin spent on the effort to implement the cheat (and, I might add, the PRAISE for them doing this by some of the more JDM YO! types on here [:(]), and hide it, but yes, their abject FAILURE in F1, despite the many billions they threw at it was heartening, even uplifting! [thumb] [cool]

It should also be noted that the few performance cars they did produce, mentioned above, were total sales FAILURES, and it was NOT because they set out to make very limited production number rides to maintain a 'flagship' status, and PR gain from exclusivity (as the fanboyzz think). [nono]

They wanted to sell as many MKIV TTs as they possibly could, and IF they were selling like 'hotcakes', the TOY Board Of Directors would have approved many millions to be made. [wink]

I've asked About this so called turbo Yaris since I work for Toyota and they said it maybe will come to the us. And they are thinking
About a turbo Camry as well but I think they are hopping on the turbo performance boat to late.

2002 European Civic type R: 197 hp, 2744 lbs
2014 USDM Fiesta ST: 197 hp, 2742 lbs

Anyone notice that besides me?

grnmachine02

^^^I most certainly HOPE that you are correct in your above assertions about the Nippon Giant concerning their latest foray into the WRC this year (that they cannot just throw their Camry/Corolla profit trillion$$ at the team to ensure/guarantee outright victory).

They HAVE been caught cheating in this series (and possibly others), despite the ingenuity and coin spent on the effort to implement the cheat (and, I might add, the PRAISE for them doing this by some of the more JDM YO! types on here [:(]), and hide it, but yes, their abject FAILURE in F1, despite the many billions they threw at it was heartening, even uplifting! [thumb] [cool]

It should also be noted that the few performance cars they did produce, mentioned above, were total sales FAILURES, and it was NOT because they set out to make very limited production number rides to maintain a 'flagship' status, and PR gain from exclusivity (as the fanboyzz think). [nono]

They wanted to sell as many MKIV TTs as they possibly could, and IF they were selling like 'hotcakes', the TOY Board Of Directors would have approved many millions to be made. [wink]
The reason the Supra was a bust is 100% due to it's cost. Nobody was willing to spend that kind of money on a sports car from Toyota. Fanboyness aside, the 2j is a very capable and proven engine.

2002 European Civic type R: 197 hp, 2744 lbs
2014 USDM Fiesta ST: 197 hp, 2742 lbs

Anyone notice that besides me?
I certainly noticed. I used to drive a 2004 Civic Si, which was very similar to the 2002-2005 Civic Type R in Europe. I modded my Civic Si to be a Type-R clone, the same engine and transmission as well as an authentic Type R aero kit. I loved that car and I was drawn to the Fiesta ST because of the similarities between these two cars in terms of weight and power. Granted the Civic Type-R we're talking about made the power it did naturally aspirated..

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The reason the Supra was a bust is 100% due to it's cost. Nobody was willing to spend that kind of money on a sports car from Toyota. Fanboyness aside, the 2j is a very capable and proven engine.
But I guess the 'superior' Nippon Giant did NOT have the 'tech' then to produce a light aluminum block to handle boost, as it seems everyone else currently does.
And the fanboys would have one think that it can produce 2K dyno queen WHP reliably, on the stock bottom end and displacement. [histerical]

grnmachine02

But I guess the 'superior' Nippon Giant did NOT have the 'tech' then to produce a light aluminum block to handle boost, as it seems everyone else currently does.
And the fanboys would have one think that it can produce 2K dyno queen WHP reliably, on the stock bottom end and displacement. [histerical]
2k HP? No, but I've seen just a hair under 1k on a stock bottom end. Admittedly it was one pull, and honestly probably blew up 10 miles later. Single turbo conversion and appropriate fueling and 5-600 whp isn't even breaking a sweat on those engines.

Wait, are we still talking about the 2J, or something else? I'm confused at this point.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
2k HP? No, but I've seen just a hair under 1k on a stock bottom end. Admittedly it was one pull, and honestly probably blew up 10 miles later. Single turbo conversion and appropriate fueling and 5-600 whp isn't even breaking a sweat on those engines.

Wait, are we still talking about the 2J, or something else? I'm confused at this point.
Yup, 2JZGTE, the fanboyzz [pray] 'worship' power plant, that is "infallible, and indestructible" in THEIR eyes at least, hence the sarcastic "2K WHP on stock bottom end and displacement" razz. [wink]
"Didn't cha know, they can handle 100 psi boost FOREVA, right off of the factory floor!!!" [histerical]

They are also one of the reasons I HATE dyno queens so much, since those cars did almost nothing at all on road courses (except for the ALL Japan GT series, where they sometimes used a smaller, 4 banger [forgot the engine's TOY series number] engine anyway).
Drag strip, yes, possibly 6 second cars with a SOLID FORD rear axle, and a GM POWERGLIDE based slushbox. LOL

AzNightmare

At least in my area, if anyone's interested in the subcompact hot hatch market, I can see them dropping money on a JDM Toyota hot hatch any day of the week over the American FiST... that is, if they even know what a FiST is.

When I go to my local car meets, it's all JDM and the only American cars I see are Mustangs. What's a ST?? You mean STI?

I wish the community was bigger, but there's probably a bigger Corolla club around here somewhere.

At least in my area, if anyone's interested in the subcompact hot hatch market, I can see them dropping money on a JDM Toyota hot hatch any day of the week over the American FiST... that is, if they even know what a FiST is.

When I go to my local car meets, it's all JDM and the only American cars I see are Mustangs. What's a ST?? You mean STI?
Out where I'm at in the PNW the STs are pretty popular and steadily growing. Last meet I went to had a pretty big FoST and FiST crowd. Interesting and pleasing to see, considering the domination of the JDM scene for so many years.

I still have a mostly stock 2002 Civic SI as my backup ride. 205,000 miles. It still is fun to drive.

grnmachine02

I'm excited to see what happens when people start swapping the turbo K series engines from the new type r into the older EG, EK, or maybe even EF platforms.