Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rainy driving revelations

Well, Southern California has been deluged in rain, much more than the occasional drizzle we've gotten since I've been driving the FIST. I've realized a few things. At first, I didn't know why my rear wiper came on by itself every now and then. Finally figured out that it will come on when the main wipers are on and you put the car in reverse. Neato.

Also realized that my 22,000 mile factory Bridgestones love to hydroplane. More neato!

I'm just amazed you have 22k on those tires...I'm at 7k and over half way gone easily.

Cool about the rear wiper and reverse, I'll have to check this out on mine.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #3
They actually have quite a bit of tread left. I'm surprised based on how I drive and what other guys say they are getting.

Just curious, how are you guys driving that you're killing tires so fast? I always thought i drove pretty spirited with a few good burnouts/launches and at 23K I'm just now coming up on the wear bars.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Just curious, how are you guys driving that you're killing tires so fast? I always thought i drove pretty spirited with a few good burnouts/launches and at 23K I'm just now coming up on the wear bars.
I'm curious too. My driving is mostly just cruising around, with some spirited cornering and hard accelerating, but no launches or burnouts and no tracking and my OEM tires don't look like they'll make it to 10,000 miles.

I'm curious too. My driving is mostly just cruising around, with some spirited cornering and hard accelerating, but no launches or burnouts and no tracking and my OEM tires don't look like they'll make it to 10,000 miles.
I wonder if hotter climates make a difference? I could see tires wearing faster if they're constantly ran hotter. I'm in Ohio, so it's pretty mild most of the driving year all things considered.

Tire pressure maintenance makes a huge difference in wear/tread life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
A lot depends on the surface the tires are driven on. Not all asphalt is created equal...

I got about 15k out of my OEM tires, but that included 180 minutes at VIR full and one AutoX event.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #10
I keep mine at 36 all around and haven't tracked my car, but I'm a pretty aggressive driver. Unless they start wearing a lot more quickly, it looks like I can get at least 5000 till I'm on the wear bars.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Well, Southern California has been deluged in rain, much more than the occasional drizzle we've gotten since I've been driving the FIST. I've realized a few things. At first, I didn't know why my rear wiper came on by itself every now and then. Finally figured out that it will come on when the main wipers are on and you put the car in reverse. Neato.

Also realized that my 22,000 mile factory Bridgestones love to hydroplane. More neato!
Tread depth has a massive impact hydroplane-ability. Even the most hydroplane resistant tread pattern becomes nearly worthless by the time it reaches minimum tread depth. Basically your peak speeds for hydro plane resistanace decline in direct proportion to tread depth. I've personally experienced this over many sets of tires. By the time I got rid of one set, could barely hold 55mph without drifting and so basically stayed off the highway until I got my tires installed.

Alignment can also play a role; when "far" out of spec.

Zormecteon

Part of the problem of Southern California wet road driving is that it doesn't rain often enough to clean all the oils off the road. Up here in Washington State, we are well aware that after a few weeks on no rain in the summer that on the first days of rain the oils will rise up and make it not much different than driving on ice. I'm curious as to whether the "hydroplaning" is the car actually lifting up from contact with the pavement, or is it just that there is a lack of traction, even at low speeds? Granted there has been a significant rainfall of late down there.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #13
My issue is at highway speed in heavy rain. It's easy to detect, so not much of a problem.