Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front end suspension clunk

So I've owned my car for about a year now and I've noticed the suspension is very loud particularly going over bumps and imperfections in the road. Here in Ohio we have shit roads, and if there is potholes from the plows the noise can happen down the whole road from the suspension loading and unloading. I know there are multiple threads about the front end clunk and people bringing it to the dealers but there is not a fix for it, it seems. Is it the shock, the springs, or a bearing? No one knows, so I just wanted to create a thread to see if people are still having this issue and what they have done to mitigate it. Does upgrading suspension fix it? I really don't know. I'd bring it into the dealer but the common consensus is the dealer doesn't find any issues, so it seems like a waste of time.

[video=youtube;GS4v3QZf6XM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS4v3QZf6XM[/video]

There is this video that shows the sound happening from a user over at fiestast.org. If you notice at about 31 seconds in there is a big clunk. This is the noise me and others have heard. So if you have this noise please comment when it happens and what you have tried to fix it! I would also like to hear from people who upgraded their struts!

our ride is stiff so its gonna sound loud when you go over bumps, this is normal. Especially for our shit ohio roads.

My suspension was clunking very similar to that when my strut blew out. Look and see if there is dirt and oil covering the front struts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sometimes things in door pockets or glove boxes can rattle around sounding like suspension clunks. It obviously rattles when you hit the bump so the timing makes it easy to mix up.

I once thought I had a blown door speaker. It turned out to be a penny rattling around when the bass hit... easy fix!

Same here, Koobs. I have a 2015 with 21k on it, but it's been making this sound for some time now. My front suspension (all stock, all the way down to the wheels and tires), particularly the left, makes a pretty loud "thunk" over medium to larger bumps. It seems that when the suspension unloads and recoils, that's when the sound is most violent. The bump need not be sudden for it to make this noise. Sometimes a gradual road imperfection with no jagged edges or anything can sound like I just hit a pot hole. Manhole covers that are MAYBE 1/4 to 1/2 an inch recessed can produce a jarring "thunk." Inspected the suspension and I don't see anything out of place. Shocks are dry, bushings look good. Tire wear seems normal with just SOME outer edge wear for the fronts, but I've heard that's typical for the ST. Alignment is spot on. Strange. I'll run it by the dealer the next time it's in for service, but i doubt they'll replicate it. You know how it goes.