Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Im thinking of buying a FiST, have questions.

So I'm in the market for something more fuel economical and fun then my current DD. I'm looking at the FiST and FoST, however I'm leaning towards the FiST. But Id like to hear from others that may be or have been in my same scenario.

First and for most, this will be my DD and will see about 40-80 miles a day (M-F). Car will be 90% just me driving, however will need to double over for some family duties. I'm right at 6-2" and curious how comfortable Ill be in it? Also, how is the room in the back for a 5 year old and soon to be baby seat? How uncomfortable will the passenger be in this scenario? The wife's car is the primary family car, but there will be times we load up in my car. How is the room in the hatch? I'll be placing anything from groceries to wood for the smoker to R/C cars and god knows what else, maybe hookers and blow.

Car will also see some spirited back road drives and some SCCA events, probably 3-8 a year. So there will be upgrades in the future. How does the engine hold up to more boost and supporting mods? Is there a good aftermarket for the FiST?

Ill be buying a used low miles (under 30K) car, what should I look for when going to check them out? Is there any tell, tell signs that it may have been previously used and abused? Are there any years I should stay clear of? I may end up with a new '16 as there are some pretty good deals in my area at the moment, sub 20K.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. [shakehands]

Ok, my personal opinion is to get a FoST if you have one kid with another on the way. The FiST will fit them, but it will be tight. I'm 6' and I have to have my seat all the way back for me to be comfortable. I can't imagine having kids behind me comfortably, though I have the Recaros, so that might be different with the stock seats. The hatch is pretty small, but opens up obviously if you have the seats down though it is still small. Aftermarket is good for this car and getting better. While I do track events from time to time in it, my tune is currently stock for now so I can't say personally how much boost it'll take and still be reliable. I haven't really read any engine failure horror stories though. My advice would be to buy new if you can. Most people who buy them aren't doing Sunday driving in them.

while you'll have no problem fitting all 4 of you, you might have issues with all the junk kids require because the trunk is quite small.

But as a drivers car? The FiST is better than the FoST

I just recently bought my FiST... Coming from a lifted hummer H3 on 35s, it is quite a change. But I knew what I was getting into. Im 6'1" and have my recaro almost all the way back... It's usually just me and one passenger so the backseat doesn't get used a lot. However, this weekend I did load the car up. Me, my daughter, my gf and her son. My gfs son is a little guy for a 11 yr old so he fit behind me no problem... My daughter at 5'10"ish had to squeeze in the back and wasn't gonna fit at all until the front seat was moved up. My gf is short so it worked out. Probably not something you wanna take on a road trip like that but it was ok for a little running around. My gf has a Kia optima that pulls duty when there's more than just me and her. So it works for short trips but just know that you're buying a smaller car with the fist and plan accordingly...

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
Thanks y'all. As mentioned the wife's vehicle will be the primary family hauler. For starters after our first child was born she no longer likes riding in manuals for extended periods of time...she hated my WRX. I really just want to insure I can load our oldest (5) and the new born in the car, minus passenger with no real issues. I know there will be times the three of us will be running errands. On the small occasions I would load up the family, how cramped will my wife be? She's only about 5'-6"ish.

She will be cramped. There's limited room and a baby seat push one of you up even more. Foucs is a better family car, hands down.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm 6' 2" and about 215lbs. I fit fine but I assume a "drivers" position. As in the Recaro is NOT all the way back in pimp cruising mode but rather somewhere around the middle. I like to reach my controls and such. I know others prefer to slam the seat all the way back but closer just works for me.. Maybe I have short legs and a long torso?

My tallish 14 yr old daughter fit back there without complaint for a 7 hour drive to VA over the new year. She's about 5' 4" with a thick dancers build.

On our way back from VA my wife's aunt (bit over weight) and our 6 yr old nephew were back there and again, no complaints. They all slept soundly for the entire trip.

Your 5yr old and a baby seat will fit just fine. My only caution to you would be that babies, at least when mine were small, require us to carry soooo much shit. You probably won't be able to get your family, a stroller and the baby bag in there without some creative packing. But that's what the wife's car is for, right? ;)

What we used to do is take the family and all our baby stuff to the dealer and just test fit everything right on the showroom floor.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
I'm 6' 2" and about 215lbs. I fit fine but I assume a "drivers" position. As in the Recaro is NOT all the way back in pimp cruising mode but rather somewhere around the middle. I like to reach my controls and such. I know others prefer to slam the seat all the way back but closer just works for me.. Maybe I have short legs and a long torso?

My tallish 14 yr old daughter fit back there without complaint for a 7 hour drive to VA over the new year. She's about 5' 4" with a thick dancers build.

On our way back from VA my wife's aunt (bit over weight) and our 6 yr old nephew were back there and again, no complaints. They all slept soundly for the entire trip.

Your 5yr old and a baby seat will fit just fine. My only caution to you would be that babies, at least when mine were small, require us to carry soooo much shit. You probably won't be able to get your family, a stroller and the baby bag in there without some creative packing. But that's what the wife's car is for, right? ;)

What we used to do is take the family and all our baby stuff to the dealer and just test fit everything right on the showroom floor.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thanks. My days of laying the seat back are long gone, hell I don't even do it in the passenger seat anymore like I once did. I plan to go and have a hands on look at one within the next few days, maybe Ill load up the stroller and see how it works. Thanks.

I will say this much. After dropping my car off to get the key marks fixed (car needs to be resprayed because of some very considerate kids in my neighberhood). I got a Frontier SV 4x4 as a loaner, our cars are not very comfortable at all. In the FIST you feel every bump, pothole, road imperfection delivered directly from the road to your spine. In the frontier it's barely noticeable. Something to consider if you live in an area where the roads are terrible/not that great.

Good point, jwolfe. I love the FIST, and don't mind the stiff ride. A friend, who drives an F150 was riding in my car a few days ago. Commenting on the harsh ride, he asked me what I had done to the suspension. When I said that this was the factory ride, he was rather surprised.

She will be cramped. There's limited room and a baby seat push one of you up even more. Foucs is a better family car, hands down.
100% agree. My infant seat is behind the passenger seat which has to be pushed up and tilted when my daughter is riding. Personally, I can't imagine having a passenger riding while I have my daughter behind = passenger says "hello knees." Realistically, I'm thinking it'd be tough for even two kids in the back seat and just me, although some folks on here say they routinely get the family stuffed in there. The FiST is not a big vehicle, go down and check one out and take a baby seat & small child seat with you, you'll see. Considering your situation and if it's only between FoST and FiST, go FoST.

D3

I just recently bought my FiST... Coming from a lifted hummer H3 on 35s, it is quite a change.
I am trying to imagine the type of person who would purchase both of these vehicles and my imagination is coming up empty.

As for OP, don't by this car to haul around a family of four with any regularity. Go with a FoST, or if you have the cash, a GTI. Save your wife's knees for...well, never mind. If you want a fun toy/DD that you can occasionally pack your kids into for a grocery run, then the FiST will suit you fine. The car depreciates rapidly, and based on my anecdotal analysis of forum members, tends to be bought by people with neither money nor sense [kidding], so you will probably find some bargains in the used market. I would watch out for anything that is heavily modified, as it is more likely to have seen some abuse (though the cars seem to hold up well). Only issues I have heard of with any regularity are leaky axle/CV seals and transmission whine (sometimes requiring replacement), so keep and eye/ear out for them. Sync 3 is supposed to be much better than MFT, so the 16's onward have that going for them.

I routinely take my 4 kid's with me. The 14 yr old is in front, 12, 10, 7 in back. Yes there is a little complaining, but no more than what is experienced at home. IMHO, the FoST only excells in shoulder room and trunk space. Strictly speaking on cabin room, I felt the FiST had more space. In the FoST, I had to put the drivers seat all the way back. There was no room behind me. In the FiST, it is a couple clicks forward. But I agree. All their karate gear barely fits in the trunk, and the bow staffs barely fit.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

zanethan

Having owned both the FiST and the FoST I'd go with the FoST for your situation. I love my FiST but as others have commented the ride is a bit harsh and if you're commuting 80 miles a day I'd think that would get old fast. I also loved my FoST just as much and don't think you can go wrong with either car.

I'm not gonna lie the fiesta st is a great DD but like almost everyone that has responded it does get cramped with 4 inside it. I tried to do that once and haven't done it since. Its not that bad but its just not great for long trips. And also I'm not gonna say the fiesta st wouldn't be a good car for you but If I were you I would check out the VW GTI as well. Price has went down on them and believe it or not its actually very roomy. Had one as my last car, could fit 4 in that car very comfortably.(Also the power after revo was awesome!) BUT I still do think the FiST looks better :p

OP
S
Thread Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. Ill probably end up with the FoST. The FiST was just a tad to small for my current situation.

zanethan

Thanks for all the replies. Ill probably end up with the FoST. The FiST was just a tad to small for my current situation.
The FoST is a great car! I loved mine and the practicality of it will shock you. I fit tons of stuff in mine when I needed to. I was so bummed when it got totaled out.