Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rally schools - thoughts?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I am warming up to the idea of attending a rally school, probably a 3-day course. There are the usual suspects, of course, particularly Team O'Neil tends to be rather popular.
The price of schooling is a consideration, naturally - but there is relatively little difference as far as I can see.

Wondering if anybody has any particular experience - good or bad - to share. The list currently includes whatever I could find on the interwebs - TON, DirtFish, The Firm. There is a new one - and it is close to me - Rally Ready (in Austin, TX).

Thoughts?

Here is my review http://www.fordrsnation.com/threads/385-3-Day-Review-) I have videos as well and also I posted another review when I went back to complete my training. Sadly I don't have videos of my revisit as I lucked out the first time and partnered up with some one who had a Go-pro, 2nd time I was honestly in my own car for days 4&5 and I didn't bring one :(. Those are the vids you want to see, a FiST flying through the woods at 80 :)

First thing with any of these schools that offer multiple days, you get what you pay for. 1 day classes are not worth it, well what I really mean if your going to do it, then do it. As you will read it took a bit of time to adjust and it wasn't until the end of the 2nd day where things really came together. I have been to a lot of things, OA and 1 day Ford racing school, Multiple exotics racing visits, 430 scud,458,Turbo s, Cayman R, R8,SLS, I even had an Ariel Atom on track at an event. My time at TON was the best and I honestly never planned to go back after my first visit (My Alaskan cruise was canceled, G/F to ex lol) so I decided hey, let's finish my training and I could of done many things for that kind of money but still went back. Days 4 & 5 are no joke and if you have the skills they bring out the toys like WRX's and FiST's or BMW's if you want to take a stab at RWD.

All these things are not cheap and your best bet is to wait for deals. Black Friday is a big one and I waited for it when I first went to TON, I saved 20% I believe. They also comp you a day if you go back, so to finish my training I repeated day 3 for free :).

TON is world known and the courses are hard to beat. It's local for me but both times I went there were people from all over. The rally stages they use on later days are actual stages, and the elevation changes are a big plus of TON. Dirtfish is also a well known school, but it was TON for me all day.

TON was also one of the reasons I bought a FiST. Keep in mind as you will see in my review that Day 3 is a great point and you will have hoped you can keep going. I lucked out in my revisit and there was one other student, a Trophy truck driver. He didn't care for stage notes and neither did I, so on Day 5, we got to run stages longer then messing will Rally Notes and learning/co driving.