Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to remove exhaust soot from paint?

Hi all. I've got what I assume to be soot from the exhaust around the rear bumper in the general tail pipe area. When I wash the car, it doesn't come off. I haven't tried claybar-ing it yet. Is there something that you use to get it clean? It makes my White Platinum look like Crap Platinum.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Have you tried goo gone?

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #3
Have you tried goo gone?
I have not. Honestly, I don't know what does and doesn't hurt the paint/finish, so I'm hesitant about just spraying whatever on it. That's why I ask advice on here [wink] I guess either way I'm going to have to wax it...

I've heard Simple Green could work, but I've also heard that you have to dilute that stuff before using it (?).

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I have not. Honestly, I don't know what does and doesn't hurt the paint/finish, so I'm hesitant about just spraying whatever on it. That's why I ask advice on here [wink] I guess either way I'm going to have to wax it...

I've heard Simple Green could work, but I've also heard that you have to dilute that stuff before using it (?).
It doesn't hurt paint, I've used it on my own Oxford White car.[thumb]

Hi all. I've got what I assume to be soot from the exhaust around the rear bumper in the general tail pipe area. When I wash the car, it doesn't come off. I haven't tried claybar-ing it yet. Is there something that you use to get it clean? It makes my White Platinum look like Crap Platinum.
Look up an iron remover. Iron-X is one I've used a lot as well as Geyon Iron Remover. Spray that, leave it a minute or two, repeat if necessary, then rinse. After that use a clay bar. I would use a medium bar and use lots of detail spray as lubricant. If that doesn't work then a light polish might be necessary. Something like a white pad, finishing pad, and something like Meg's 105. That should handle anything you need.

All you need is some light - moderate polish. A high temp wax afterward, like collinite 845, might make cleaning easier in the future.

Iron-X or an iron decontaminate and clay-bar should be all you need to get the soot off. Goo-gone is ok on paint as long as you don't let it sit on the paint for more than 10 or so minutes. And as everyone above stated, to make the soot removal easier next time apply a good silicon based wax after you have clayed and decontaminated the area!