Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync w/ MyFord Touch Crashing

So, just this morning I started my car to get going to work and all of a sudden my sync screen goes black and a little popup window (with super tiny text) pops up saying something about the .exe suffering a fatal error. My sync then crashes and, after a few moments reboots saying it's running scheduled maintenance. This happens EVERY time I start the car now. Regardless of how long it's been since the last restart. And on my way home from the store earlier it happened when I got out to check my mail WITH THE CAR STILL RUNNING (I left my keys in the car with my wife). I checked the Ford site and it said that my sync was "up to date" having last been updated in April of 2013... Anyone have any thoughts on what I should try? I haven't done anything yet outside of checking the ford site.

I have a '14 FiST with the Sync w/ MyFord touch.

Try and update it again there is a newer update than that iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #3
Try and update it again there is a newer update than that iirc.

Do you know where I can go for the updates? I haven't updated Sync before and with the Ford site telling me there aren't any I'm not sure where to look.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
What version? Reset the system back to defaults; a.k.a. system reset and let us know what happens.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #6
What version? Reset the system back to defaults; a.k.a. system reset and let us know what happens.
If you mean master reset, I've done plenty of those (most recently yesterday, actually) due to the car having an issue where it decides it doesn't like my phone anymore. I'll try it, but I doubt it'll get me far.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #9
I'm thinking that may trigger the site to read that you do not have the latest update. Hopefully it works!

Do you need to have the car connected to wifi to be able to get a health report by email/text? I have it set to email and it called me. Just a bunch of buzzing and beeping, so I hung up. I'm trying to connect to my wifi, which has a password, and the password entry won't let me enter letters! Only numbers!

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #10
Quick update. While I was out there trying these things it crashed three times. I did do a master reset (hoping it would let me use letters in the wifi password afterwards) and it didn't crash immediately after. I think I'm done messing with it for tonight, but I'll try again in the morning.

I sync my phone via Bluetooth when sending the information from the health report it dials a number to send the information.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #12
I sync my phone via Bluetooth when sending the information from the health report it dials a number to send the information.

My phone was synced to the bluetooth. When the call came it beeped for a while and then hung up. After hanging up the car said it failed to deliver the report.

Weird, I'm all out of ideas. I know my Tune interferes with the vehicle health report. Usually that just gives me an error that I did not drive the car enough.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #14
Weird, I'm all out of ideas. I know my Tune interferes with the vehicle health report. Usually that just gives me an error that I did not drive the car enough.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for helping though [twothumb]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I had a similar problem as well but syncing with the Bluetooth seemed to help. The first couple times were troublesome also. I'd recommend trying again with Bluetooth, wait to make sure it's synced properly (about the time it takes to warm-up your car when cold), then try again.

Granted the sync has a few issues but the report did seem to help me somehow.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for helping though [twothumb]
MichiganST,

When running a Vehicle Health Report, your phone must be connected to the vehicle through Bluetooth. The report sends through your phone in a s similar matter like a fax. Be sure the engine is running with the vehicle in park when running the report. Also, I'd like to take a look at the software info and check for updates. Feel free to PM the VIN when you get a chance. For more info on the VHR feature, check out this link: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...ync-with-myford-touch.html?sync=my-ford-touch

Cara

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Interfacing with the phone could be crashing it but I'm wondering whether the flash memory or RAM has become unreliable. It'd be nice if you could invoke a full reformat or fsck badblocks but the user serviceability of most linux embedded devices is minimal at best. They'd rather folks spend the money to replace entire devices vs make use of basic utilities that have been included in Operating Systems for decades.

I'd imagine the "scheduled maintenance" message is just a file system check. But unless it's doing a badblocks scan, it's not going to help much. If RAM has gone bad then it's pretty much done. Several years ago I had a laptop that was salvaged by telling the O/S not to use a specific region of RAM. But there's no automated process in compensating for bad RAM in any O/S that I'm familiar with.