Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drivetrain Squeak / Chirp Going into First and in Second and Third at 2000-3000 RPM

Hey all. I just wanted to make you aware of an issue I'm experiencing with my relatively new 2016 Fiesta ST which has about 3700 mi. I'm 2 oil changes in (Mobil 1 full synth in stock weight) and the dealer has done 1 tire rotation. I don't think they seem to care much about my mods. Instead the techs complimented me, which was cool. Here is the issue:

The Techs and I have both heard an intermittent squeak/chirp that appears to be coming from the drivetrain. You can hear it going into first, especially if I'm slow or clumsy engaging the clutch. You can also hear it intermittently in second and third gear at 2000-3000 rpm, especially in deceleration. I can't feel any change in drivability whatsoever, and I'm not throwing any codes. I have not heard or seen any misfires come up. Idle is normal, etc. It was actually doing this about 2-3 weeks ago when I was doing some spirited driving in the local mountains, when I was decelerating and downshifting into second gear at 3000 RPM. It's not a new issue that popped up since my CBE/DP install - I can't tell if it's getting worse or not, but I sure notice it more.

My suspicion is a clutch issue, and I know folks have had clutch issues with these cars. I'm just not sure what it is, or how bad it is. I'm prepared to pay for it since the car is heavily modded, and "you have to pay to play," - I'm not taking the car back to stock. Hopefully, maybe it is an issue where there is now metal-to-metal contact that sometimes occurs due to the new exhaust, OCC, IC piping, and RMM.

I have an appointment to go back in Thursday a.m. to have the issue diagnosed. I'll keep you all posted. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance. If I have to replace the clutch, I may go aftermarket.

OP
Thread Starter #3
Yep. Not diverter noise. There was a bracket loose according to the tech. Service notes say "air cooler" - probably intercooler, I'm still scratching my head on this one.

I'm on to the next problem for now - I had a hard stop from 35 to 0, without being able to downshift, and I felt something of a decent size shift around in the drive train or chassis. I checked, nothing. Hopefully just the exhaust or motor mounts shifting around.

I'm still worried. Nvh is up. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. My clutch feels weak or worn, engagement point is way off the floor etc. I am going to take it to a buddy's shop and have him throw it on the lift tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
Thread Starter #4
Put the car up on a rack today. The part of the car that was shifting was most likely the intercooler piping. Apparently the hard stop broke the Depo IC bracket on the hot side that is prone to breaking. Oh well.

Is the Cobb IC pipe or other brand any more durable?