Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moving to Germany with my FiST

Hello all, I'll be moving courtesy of the US Military to Germany later this summer and I plan on taking my FiST with me. Any words of advice if any of you have come from the US to Europe with your cars?

I was stationed there in 2006-2009...did not take my car from here to there, bought it over there so I'm not much help there. There's a few guys on here stations din Germany, and alphanumeric is a German with a FiST also. Where are you stationed at right now, and where are you going in Germany? Branch of service?

OP
sheeplehearder
Thread Starter #3
Army. Currently at Ft. Leavenworth, for school not for the nice accommodations. I think I'm heading to Baumholder but not entirely sure. I won't get my orders for another month or so.

Dude I'm right up the road from you. Was stationed at Baumholder. Despite it's bad reputation, it's a great location for car enthusiasts. Only a two hour drive to Nurburgring, 2 hours to Frankfurt, 3 to Stuttgart, many many awesome driving roads around there (the short stretch from Baumholder to Kusel was always one of my favorites). I'd be more than happy to talk to you through PM or whatever and give you a knowledge dump.

As far as driving, start studying for the USAEUR license now so you can take the test and pass it as soon as you get there and don't have to wait on that after your car is there. Insurance is more expensive over there, but USAA treats us pretty good, and there are some Germany companies that weren't too bad to me and my friends as well.

One thing I know people always say about bringing their cars abroad (and back for that matter) is to make sure they take care of it. My wife's in the Army as well, and she was stationed at Landsthul. She knew people that had their cars damage during transport. I would document the hell out of your car to make sure that if something happens, you can prove it happened during shipment. Other than that, enjoy the no speed limits and do the Nurburgring. I wasn't with my wife while she was there, but I visited and went to the Nurburgring twice. I didn't get to drive it, but hopefully we get stationed there again and I can do it the next time.

One thing I know people always say about bringing their cars abroad (and back for that matter) is to make sure they take care of it. My wife's in the Army as well, and she was stationed at Landsthul. She knew people that had their cars damage during transport. I would document the hell out of your car to make sure that if something happens, you can prove it happened during shipment. Other than that, enjoy the no speed limits and do the Nurburgring. I wasn't with my wife while she was there, but I visited and went to the Nurburgring twice. I didn't get to drive it, but hopefully we get stationed there again and I can do it the next time.
Very good point about shipment, I didn't think about that.

Off topic, I see you're in CO Springs? I'm headed to Carson in a few months.

OP
sheeplehearder
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. Waiting on my orders to get the ball rolling on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,

Yeah Alphanumeric is stationed at Ramstein and brought his FiST also over here.
We met yesterday at the N?rburgring like the last Times, today he flown in the States and comes back in May.
Massage him to get some Infos.

Nice!! I actually bought my FIST over there in Germany (US spec). Try to revert to stock as much as possible the inspections put the CA to shame! So my beater failed because one of my headlight was too dim( hazy/blurry on the lense) and had a small class 1 leak. They'll throw the car on a lift and just rattle the fuck out of it. Once your pass buy the two year registration not the one year or you'll have to the inspection again. The driving test is easy it's just a written but make sure you know the signs.

Autobahn is amazing. Make sure you travel you better go to about 5 different countries at least. Don't just party your money away like I did for the first year.

I recommend to take a cruise in the Mediterranean you'll visit like 7 countries. I never got around to it but I wanted too
Have fun enjoy the culture. Volksfest are better than octoberfest.

Have fun and be safe !

OP
sheeplehearder
Thread Starter #10
Well guys sadly I won't be bringing my FiST over there anymore. I traded it in. BUT I picked up an RS for steal. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys when I get there.

Young L

I was stationed in Shwienfurt and Graf. USAA is a pain in the ass to deal with. There is another a lot of people I know used called Marscoin or something like that its a lot better and you should also look into getting ADAC which is the German version of AAA.

My advice is when you go to the Ring don't go alone and go with someone that has a lot of experience on the track. It can be quit overwhelming at first and you can get into trouble real quick on the track. Also look into track days at Spa and Hockenhiem.