Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST temp gauge?

So I am looking this over the course of a few drives. Start it up cold, 0 blips. Fully warm (?) and its 4 blips. OK. I can deal with it. So I hook up my ELM327 and fire up Torque pro. First time I wasn't really paying attention, but noticed it had 4 blips @ 57C on Torque pro. So I watched a little closer, and it hits the 4th blip right at 50C! 122F for those who use that scale. That's not really warmed up all the way. Thermostat seems to be a normal 85C (185F) deal. So before spirited driving should maybe wait a little longer? My other cars (all 4 cly) seem to hit thermostat opening much sooner that this thing although it does hit 4 blips fast...

So I am looking this over the course of a few drives. Start it up cold, 0 blips. Fully warm (?) and its 4 blips. OK. I can deal with it. So I hook up my ELM327 and fire up Torque pro. First time I wasn't really paying attention, but noticed it had 4 blips @ 57C on Torque pro. So I watched a little closer, and it hits the 4th blip right at 50C! 122F for those who use that scale. That's not really warmed up all the way. Thermostat seems to be a normal 85C (185F) deal. So before spirited driving should maybe wait a little longer? My other cars (all 4 cly) seem to hit thermostat opening much sooner that this thing although it does hit 4 blips fast...
Is you thermostat reading the coolant in a different location?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This seems accurate. I monitor my coolant temp on my Accessport and when i have 4 blips its around 120F. I think the blips are more of a general thing. Probably give it a little more driving time for getting on it. The 120 at 4 blips seems to be pretty common.

You should be more concerned with oil temps over coolant temps anyway
Too bad there isn't an easy way to get that without installing some hardware. I think this is as close as most will get to temps, unfortunately.

Too bad there isn't an easy way to get that without installing some hardware. I think this is as close as most will get to temps, unfortunately.
As long as they are running an accessport they can atleast monitor with that. Makes it a bit easier than running separate hardware for it. But they still have to run the accessport for the convenience.

As long as they are running an accessport they can atleast monitor with that. Makes it a bit easier than running separate hardware for it. But they still have to run the accessport for the convenience.
Really? Oil temp is on the ap? I thought it was the same sensors as the coolant tempos?

Sent from my Spaceship

Really? Oil temp is on the ap? I thought it was the same sensors as the coolant tempos?

Sent from my Spaceship
Just went out and checked to confirm. It is two different sensors. It won't let me add the picture from my phone. But had two different temps and both were raising at different rates.

Just went out and checked to confirm. It is two different sensors. It won't let me add the picture from my phone. But had two different temps and both were raising at different rates.
And it wasn't intake or ambient temp? I'll admit, I haven't played with the gauges on the ap. I've used the torque pro app, tho, and it doesn't list anything for oil.

Sent from my Spaceship

And it wasn't intake or ambient temp? I'll admit, I haven't played with the gauges on the ap. I've used the torque pro app, tho, and it doesn't list anything for oil.

Sent from my Spaceship
Correct its not those sensors either. These little cars can monitor about anything.

Correct its not those sensors either. These little cars can monitor about anything.
Sweet. Sorry for the reluctance to believe you, it's just that this info seems contrary to what I've been reading on the forum. It was my understanding that there is no sensor for oil temp and the only way to get it is to install a sensor and gauge.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
There are no sensors in the FiST which directly monitor Oil and Ambient Temps...These temps are "inferred" temperatures via algorithms calculated in the ECU from other temp sensors such as ECT, IAT, CAT, VSS...

Not sure about oil temps but inferred ambient temps reported according to Cobb can be "grossly inaccurate"...

Ford Data Monitor List

"Oil Temperature ? Inferred oil temperature as calculated by the ECU algorithm"

See I stand corrected. Im cool with having the conversation to find the correct answers. Thanks [MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION] I was unaware it was a calculated number. I suppose ill be using it as more of a guesstimate now. So lesson learned, if you want actual oil temps you will have to go separate hardware. Sorry for the wrong information.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I think the gauge shows 4 bars way before it's warm enough for spirited driving. When I first got my car during hot weather, it was at 4 bars so fast after a cold start that at first I thought it didn't work (it took 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.) Now in winter it takes about 3-4 minutes. And remember, as some others said that's coolant, oil takes longer to warm up.
I wait at least 10 minutes after a cold start before I will accelerate towards redline. I don't have an AP so I'm not measuring temps, but this is long enough that I feel safe, and I got this from a mechanic friend.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You should be more concerned with oil temps over coolant temps anyway
+1, and x a million!

It is a CRIME that these cars, with track intentions, do not have numbered analog (or digital), accurate; oil temp, water temp, and oil pressure gauges right from the factory (IF not an accurate boost/vacuum gauge as well!). [mad]

It is right up there and probably even above the lack of an option for a factory installed Quaife diff, as far as what I miss not having on this car!

I guess the Ford product planners expect us to do it ourselves, at GREAT cost to those who know nothing about installing/wiring/routing these things.

I DEFINITELY would have paid extra for the OPTION of a very accurate, factory installed gauge pack. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are no sensors in the FiST which directly monitor Oil and Ambient Temps...These temps are "inferred" temperatures via algorithms calculated in the ECU from other temp sensors such as ECT, IAT, CAT, VSS...

Not sure about oil temps but inferred ambient temps reported according to Cobb can be "grossly inaccurate"...

Ford Data Monitor List

"Oil Temperature ? Inferred oil temperature as calculated by the ECU algorithm"
Is the oil PRESSURE a reported PID on these cars, which can be read directly, with no 'algorithm inferences' by either the AP, or one of the other OBD2 plug-in devices??

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Is the oil PRESSURE a reported PID on these cars, which can be read directly, with no 'algorithm inferences' by either the AP, or one of the other OBD2 plug-in devices??
I don't think the FiST is equipped with an oil pressure sensor...(see monitor list link below)

Ford Data Monitor List

Oil Pressure ? Oil pressure, only available on vehicles with Performance Pack hardware. *

* Indicates a monitor which may not be available on all vehicles.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't think the FiST is equipped with an oil pressure sensor...(see monitor list link below)

Ford Data Monitor List

Oil Pressure ? Oil pressure, only available on vehicles with Performance Pack hardware. *

* Indicates a monitor which may not be available on all vehicles.
Yes, I reviewed that list, and it being a very general overview of the Ford corporate sensors/monitors, and our cars being one of their products WITHOUT a 'Performance Pack' option, that maybe you knew if we had that sensor reporting to the ECU or not.

IF this is the case (we don't have that sensor), WHAT do they use to turn on the cluster 'idiot light' IF there was a sudden and catastrophic loss of oil pressure?? [dunno]

WOW, it looks like I am going to HAVE TO invest in some good gauges for this ride!