Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

+250hp potential?

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Yeah that sounds logic, i am trying to decide between Cobb and Racechip, in my country it's impossible to get a custom tune from a reseller everyone just sells and says bye... I like Cobb and everything but once i start upgrading there will be no custom flash or can i download some examples what do you guys think? I can volunteer for RaceChips guinea pig... my car is under warranty and in my country Ford won't suspect a thing if i remove the chip and claim factory failure, thanks
What country are you in? (I'm on my phone so I can't see) As far as I know, Cobb's AP only works on North American models.

What country are you in? (I'm on my phone so I can't see) As far as I know, Cobb's AP only works on North American models.
The country manufacturing the FiSTs (not the engine), Mexico haha so it's the North American model so i reaaaally need some enlightment i can't find anyone on the internet that tried the racechip

Ok so after some days looking for reviews of the Racechip on other forums even other brands i came across a lot of positive reviews specially from BMW! they say the claims are true, here are some examples:
So How Did the RaceChip Ultimate Perform in Testing?

We started this project back in August of 2012 as soon as we heard rumors of the Alta AccessPort being discontinued. We were quickly impressed by the RaceChip Company, their unique design and the philosophy behind Chiptuning vs OBD tuning. We are convinced that most cars in the future will need to be tuned via an external Chip module or Piggyback module as more and more manufacturers implement what almost seems to be top secret level encryption on their ECU's. Now we just needed some MINI's for testing......and we found 7 of varying models and engine types.

Our 7 MINI's tested ALL posted great numbers in performance metrics, except the R60 in Auto only mode, in manual mode, it stood right in line with all the others we tested. The R58 JCW model posted the highest gains, most likely due to the hi performance exhaust that comes standard on all MINI JCW's.*

Specifics:
All models were equipped with manual transmissions
The R60 was equipped with a Steptronic w-Auto/Manual transmission
All models were stock except for an NM Intake on each
All were tested in sport mode only

These are the average results of 3 dyno runs for each model, from cold runs to hot runs, from published stock MINI performance numbers.*
2009 - R56 Hardtop (N14) - *+26hp *| * +34ft/lbs (ATW)
2010 - R56 Hardtop (N14) - *+25hp *| * +35ft/lbs (ATW)
2011 - R56 Hardtop (N18) - *+26hp *| * +34ft/lbs (ATW)
2012 - R56 Hardtop (N18) - *+27hp *| * +33ft/lbs (ATW)
2012 - R58 JCW Coupe (N14) - *+34hp *| * +41ft/lbs (ATW)
2012 - R60 Countryman ALL4 in Auto (N18) - *+20hp *| * +31ft/lbs (ATW)
2012 - R60 Countryman ALL4 in Manual (N18) - *+29hp *| * +38ft/lbs (ATW)

Observations
The pop & burble sound that MINI built into the N18's and JCW's is MUCH more pronounced with the RaceChip Ultimate installed during deceleration, it's very cool sounding.
The performance and acceleration characteristics are almost exactly like when we installed our first AccessPort Stage 1 tune on an MCS or JCW....the RaceChip Ultimate sits right in the middle of the AccessPort TPS map which was almost violent in acceleration and the AccessPort linear map which was just smooth all the way to 6500rpm.
The raw HP and Torque increase creates a lot of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gears for those that have a heavy throttle foot!
Hi all

Just wanted to share my experience with a diesel performance tuning box from RaceChip in Germany. I did lot of searching on the internet and fnally settled on th RaceChip Pro (http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...3d-3646-r.html)

Like most people, I was skeptical about the touted performance improvements whilst at the same time improving economy - but boy was I wrong!!

I've now had the unit in my car for over a month, and the results are simply phenomenal! HEAPS of extra power - very noticable indeed. But the real added bonus is that I've improved my fuel consumption by a full 1.0 litre per 100kms!! Unbelievable! So much so that I am almost geting 1000km per tank - averaging 6.4l/100km now.

And there is NO downside so far - it took 10 minutes to install, can be easily removed before a service, and does not increase any black smoke from exhaust or change idle and drivablity characteristics!

I am based in Australia and have no affiliation with the place I bought it from, but thought that others would want to know my experience in case they want to do so. Would HIGHLY recommend this mod.
Yup, Thanks bud. Like I said I am very happy with the power I have gained (about 30~40wkw).
And thanks to the graph you posted, I can see that it is the shape that the graph for a 125i looks like so maybe there is nothing wrong with mine after all
Everyone says they just remove the Racechip before service and even scanning there is no trace of it was ever installed so i think i have decided the RaceChip is the way to go, hope I can post results soon

C. love

I think with intake, full exhaust (no cat), tune, cams, bigger FMIC and maybe bigger piping the fiesta might see 250 wheel HP. TQ though will see 250 with a tune and intake. i think the problem with the fiesta will be the stock turbo charger. It TINY!!! How reliable the motor is IDK. The internals on these things forged?

Personally I think a tune, intake and some minor exhaust work would have this car quite perky and most importantly reliable. Right now it already blows the tires off adding in much more power will have you buying wider sticky tires, then a new clutch & axles, the list will then go on.

Yeah I think for me, the tune and intake would give the torque I'd want, and I'd just call it good. I chased horsepower on other cars and spent more time working on it and fixing issues than actually driving it. I'll probably go the suspension and tires route on this car in the future.

C. love

Yeah I think for me, the tune and intake would give the torque I'd want, and I'd just call it good. I chased horsepower on other cars and spent more time working on it and fixing issues than actually driving it. I'll probably go the suspension and tires route on this car in the future.
If I keep my car around i will either : 1) stance it out, as i like people to loathe me lol Air, wheels, intake, tune, montune wing ext. and lip. 2) make it a mean looking and more corner friendly--substitute bags for coilovers and wheels would be 9 inch wide with some thing like a 235/?/17 rest will remain the same. either way its pretty reliable with those mods. i agree with tuxedo on chasing HP. This car i will keep it pretty simple as its already a joy to drive.

C. love

me? probably cobb tune and fsworks intake. air ride would be UAS bags and the remaining portions from Accuair. if coulovers IDK wheels IDK. Tires nt-05

Perry

I think with intake, full exhaust (no cat), tune, cams, bigger FMIC and maybe bigger piping the fiesta might see 250 wheel HP. TQ though will see 250 with a tune and intake. i think the problem with the fiesta will be the stock turbo charger. It TINY!!! How reliable the motor is IDK. The internals on these things forged?

Personally I think a tune, intake and some minor exhaust work would have this car quite perky and most importantly reliable. Right now it already blows the tires off adding in much more power will have you buying wider sticky tires, then a new clutch & axles, the list will then go on.
You make an excellent point, I think. One could, I suppose, cram a rocket engine under the hood, but without mods to drivetrain, axles, wheels, tires, brakes, body, and so forth, it won't be useful power.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
You make an excellent point, I think. One could, I suppose, cram a rocket engine under the hood, but without mods to drivetrain, axles, wheels, tires, brakes, body, and so forth, it won't be useful power.
I personally would LOVE to have a GTX2863r under the hood. I think that would make 250whp achievable and let you have room to grow should you want it. As long as the clutch holds, I dont see why you couldnt just put some wider/stickier tires on and have yourself a nice little rocket ship.. I'm excited to see what the aftermarket will do in terms of bigger turbos and what this tiny engine can handle power wise.

Perry

Colin, given the size and nature of the vehicle, though, do you think that 250 hp is maybe about the upper limit of what's reasonable? And of course the engine itself can only take so much before it does a Krakatoa.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Colin, given the size and nature of the vehicle, though, do you think that 250 hp is maybe about the upper limit of what's reasonable? And of course the engine itself can only take so much before it does a Krakatoa.
When I had my SRT4 that thing was pushing about 350whp, and its only 250-300lbs heavier, and that was perfect in that thing. So I think 250 is totally manageable. Just going to depend on everything else (motor, axles, clutch) Just my humble opinion.

Whats the break point for grip though, on a front wheel drive car? I mean, I understand the FiST is meant to be tossable, but won't you run into a lot of understeer at higher power levels? I'm green to FWD performance, so enlighten me please :)

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Hi i was wondering if anyone tried the RaceChip yet, they ship from Germany and did a great job on my Audi A3 2.0T, 50 hp increase with just intake, the chip is out for the Fiesta ST and it claims 230 HP with NO MODS, if you add intake, exhaust, intercooler etc etc we can hope for 250 hp, i think? i cant make my mind, COBB vs Mountune vs Racechip, i currently live in Mexico so there is that everything is very VERY expensive here.. COBB 1200 USDs Mountune 1100 USDs and finally Racechip 1100 USDs + Shipping, hope anyone can help thanks a lot
You will want to make sure that the tuning map is for US-spec cars as euro models use MAF based and NA cars use MAP based. A euro based tune will not work on FiSTs built and sold in Mexico.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Whats the break point for grip though, on a front wheel drive car? I mean, I understand the FiST is meant to be tossable, but won't you run into a lot of understeer at higher power levels? I'm green to FWD performance, so enlighten me please :)
I've already noticed a big difference with "understeer" on my car, even with wider, stickier tires. [shameful] It takes a much more deft touch to the gas pedal going into and out of turns now. Even just normal driving I've noticed my car just feels like it is skating around, if you get into the boost at all. LOL

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Depends on who you ask. I worked with a 16 valve 1.6L turbocharged engine a few years ago that had a smaller turbo than the FiST. Just changing the tuning map, extrudehoning the exhaust manifold and replacing the compressor wheel inside the turbo housing made it easy to push 300 hp (flywheel) on that application (which started out with 230 hp). We just need to be patient and see what the aftermarket has in store for this vehicle. Everyone harps on turbo size but an optimized wheel (with revised rake, pitch and camber profiles) can make a big difference in turbo efficiency without actually having to go to a bigger turbo. [tongue]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Oh ya, it will def take some getting used to with the throttle, wider wheels/tires, suspension bits and pieces.
It wouldn't be very good at auto-x, but track days and mountain carving it would shine

MadMoose

I'm curious if the focus K03 would be able to be retrofitted. Could be a great swap if it didn't require too much modification.

Ford Community Posts