Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

+250hp potential?

Perry

When I had my SRT4 that thing was pushing about 350whp, and its only 250-300lbs heavier, and that was perfect in that thing. So I think 250 is totally manageable. Just going to depend on everything else (motor, axles, clutch) Just my humble opinion.
Well, that makes me wanna push the bar up a bit as to what's reasonable to hope for, that's for sure. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable and experienced in this sort of thing as you and some of the other guys--just enough knowledge to be dangerous, as the saying goes. Thanks for clarifying.

Perry

Depends on who you ask. I worked with a 16 valve 1.6L turbocharged engine a few years ago that had a smaller turbo than the FiST. Just changing the tuning map, extrudehoning the exhaust manifold and replacing the compressor wheel inside the turbo housing made it easy to push 300 hp (flywheel) on that application (which started out with 230 hp). We just need to be patient and see what the aftermarket has in store for this vehicle. Everyone harps on turbo size but an optimized wheel (with revised rake, pitch and camber profiles) can make a big difference in turbo efficiency without actually having to go to a bigger turbo. [tongue]
I was hoping you'd weigh in, pel. Thanks for the comment; sure sounds like the upper limit on the FiST is probably higher than what I would've anticipated. I'll have to do the "wait and see" thing!

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Well, that makes me wanna push the bar up a bit as to what's reasonable to hope for, that's for sure. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable and experienced in this sort of thing as you and some of the other guys--just enough knowledge to be dangerous, as the saying goes. Thanks for clarifying.
Haha no worries. I'm still very much a n00b at this myself. All I have to go off of is my past experiences with turbo 4 bangers.
I will say this though, in my experience they typically over build turboed engines. Srt4 was good for 450whp (typically) and my speed6's engine/clutch was good for 400ish who. So I fully expect this little 1.6 to handle 250 to the wheels

Perry

Haha no worries. I'm still very much a n00b at this myself. All I have to go off of is my past experiences with turbo 4 bangers.
I will say this though, in my experience they typically over build turboed engines. Srt4 was good for 450whp (typically) and my speed6's engine/clutch was good for 400ish who. So I fully expect this little 1.6 to handle 250 to the wheels
Good to know. DEFINITELY good to know! [thumb]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I'm curious if the focus K03 would be able to be retrofitted. Could be a great swap if it didn't require too much modification.
This would be awesome, but the focus's exhaust manifold is built into the cylinder head so there turbos hot side has some crazy flange on it. Now if our hotside could fit around the k03 turbine, then maybe it could work. But I honestly think our hotsude is just too small for that.
Really there's only one real way to find out, someone needs to be the guinea pig lol

C. love

Whats the break point for grip though, on a front wheel drive car? I mean, I understand the FiST is meant to be tossable, but won't you run into a lot of understeer at higher power levels? I'm green to FWD performance, so enlighten me please :)
You can add in oversteer to a FWD either with a narrower rear tire, a stiffer rear sway bar, a weaker front sway bar or by stiffening the rear chassis or you can do them all or a combo of those things. I personally prefer a tail happy car but its purely personal preference

Although my experience at higher power is with RWD cars. My old turbo 4 cylinder (SR20DET) pushed out 350 wheel with a bigger turbo, cams, intake, etc etc and they were good up to about 400 wheel given the right tuning but every "bolt on" was needed in addition to a MLS headgasket to achieve reliably 350. Drivetrain wise the diff and clutched needed love but other than that it was pretty simple.

the last FWD drive i had was a built motor 99 neon with a 100 shot and it needed alot once pushed and pushed it i did lol. About that point i went to RWD cars and drifting.

If the internals on this car are forged i bet 250 isnt an issue its just gonna be getting there that will cost some chedda

I can't remember if someone posted that Loder1899 got 235 HP to the fiesta just intake, exhaust and ECU, so 250 is perfectly possible, the Racechip is ordered so i hope for a 1 week or 2 for delivery, i will take it to the dyno and we will see =)

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I can't remember if someone posted that Loder1899 got 235 HP to the fiesta just intake, exhaust and ECU, so 250 is perfectly possible, the Racechip is ordered so i hope for a 1 week or 2 for delivery, i will take it to the dyno and we will see =)
I hope they send you programming for North American cars... you can't use Euro-spec or global programming for our ecu. It is very different.

Of course they are different, even MazdaSpeeds are different from USA to Mexico, the point is that's in fact possible, the engine comes from Europe so it's no different only ECU different, so i am guessing it just needs some time. Proper mods maybe, guess just bolting whatever the expensive tuners launch won't get us there.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
You can add in oversteer to a FWD either with a narrower rear tire, a stiffer rear sway bar, a weaker front sway bar or by stiffening the rear chassis or you can do them all or a combo of those things. I personally prefer a tail happy car but its purely personal preference

Although my experience at higher power is with RWD cars. My old turbo 4 cylinder (SR20DET) pushed out 350 wheel with a bigger turbo, cams, intake, etc etc and they were good up to about 400 wheel given the right tuning but every "bolt on" was needed in addition to a MLS headgasket to achieve reliably 350. Drivetrain wise the diff and clutched needed love but other than that it was pretty simple.

the last FWD drive i had was a built motor 99 neon with a 100 shot and it needed alot once pushed and pushed it i did lol. About that point i went to RWD cars and drifting.

If the internals on this car are forged i bet 250 isnt an issue its just gonna be getting there that will cost some chedda
Yep, forged rods and cast pistons. They should be up to task.I'm more worried about the clutch/axles.
The clutch pedal feels identical to the FoST, I almost wonder if it is the same

Im definitely interested to see how that racechip works out.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Make sure you tighten your boost hoses before your dyno run [wrenchin]

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Subscribed for dyno results, please take some vids

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Of course they are different, even MazdaSpeeds are different from USA to Mexico, the point is that's in fact possible, the engine comes from Europe so it's no different only ECU different, so i am guessing it just needs some time. Proper mods maybe, guess just bolting whatever the expensive tuners launch won't get us there.
No that's not exactly what I meant. heh. [;)] When I say "programming" I mean that there is no compatibility between NA cars and euro/global-spec Fiesta STs. If the Racechip you try to use is made for a mass air flow vehicle (MAF), it will not work on a manifold absolute pressure (MAP or speed density) based vehicle. Most of the operating map perimeters will not only be different, but also the specified ecu "language" could be different as well. It's important to note that UK/Euro/Aussie/SA vehicles also have much different octane requirements than NA spec vehicles (they have access to higher octane pump gas than we do).

A simple test will show if you have either MAF or MAP based ecu. Simply unplug the MAF sensor connector from the MAF sensor on the intake (next to the airbox) and see if it throws a "CEL". If it does, then you mostly likely have a MAF based car but if it doesn't, you have a MAP based car. A euro tune won't work with your vehicle if the maps are made for global cars. [wink] That's why Cobb has not released an AP to global customers yet. [hihi] Hope that helps to clarify...

No that's not exactly what I meant. heh. [;)] When I say "programming" I mean that there is no compatibility between NA cars and euro/global-spec Fiesta STs. If the Racechip you try to use is made for a mass air flow vehicle (MAF), it will not work on a manifold absolute pressure (MAP or speed density) based vehicle. Most of the operating map perimeters will not only be different, but also the specified ecu "language" could be different as well. It's important to note that UK/Euro/Aussie/SA vehicles also have much different octane requirements than NA spec vehicles (they have access to higher octane pump gas than we do).

A simple test will show if you have either MAF or MAP based ecu. Simply unplug the MAF sensor connector from the MAF sensor on the intake (next to the airbox) and see if it throws a "CEL". If it does, then you mostly likely have a MAF based car but if it doesn't, you have a MAP based car. A euro tune won't work with your vehicle if the maps are made for global cars. [wink] That's why Cobb has not released an AP to global customers yet. [hihi] Hope that helps to clarify...
Ohhh now i understand, don't worry they sell region specific Racechip, just before ordering they ask your country and show you a list of different specs! I made sure, had some experience here, there are tons of Audi A3 specs so when i bought mine like 6 months ago had to check VIN and everything, BTW i just received my fiesta today i am very happy with it!

I'm not sure how to post pics on here but we have made 250 bhp plus many months ago and have a car in the us testing our software as we speak and may have a dealer over there coming soon

I'm not sure how to post pics on here but we have made 250 bhp plus many months ago and have a car in the us testing our software as we speak and may have a dealer over there coming soon
Cool....give some details!....chip enhanced?NOS?Intake?bigger turbo?...