Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford smartlink

Im not entirely sure what I'm at liberty to discuss to be perfectly honest, but I can say that Ford hasn't ever put remote start on a manual transmission product...

Yeah, I figured.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Yeah, its a sad thing... Although it does conjure a rather sad but amusing image of a car autonomously launching itself into a wall. One of the Delphi guys told me that when he used to work for a dealership they had added aftermarket remote start to a manual 5.0 Mustang and promptly sent it through their showroom glass!

Yeah, its a sad thing... Although it does conjure a rather sad but amusing image of a car autonomously launching itself into a wall. One of the Delphi guys told me that when he used to work for a dealership they had added aftermarket remote start to a manual 5.0 Mustang and promptly sent it through their showroom glass!
I had a remote starter on both my 2000 ZX3 and my 2008 Caliber SRT. Neither had a problem, however, I definitely know a way to set it up to remote start and have it drive away when remotely started, so it is possible. It's just unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Yes I had a 97 Impreza that I rigged the clutch to always be grounded because I couldn't find a wire that would turn ground on before starting.
But one day on April fool's I started my car 15 minutes later I walked out my car was not there I found it 100 feet away in a ditch that had a wall on the other side. It made it over a concrete curb stop thru a 3 foot deep ditch then went across a crowded parking lot without hitting anyone or anything else. Moved slow enough to not make any damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I would think that any "bypass kit" would perform a check as basic as reading the transmission state; whether in neutral or not?!??

For liability reasons companies refuse to put remote starting capability in manual shift vehicles. Yes, in theory you can maybe wake up the computer and maybe read the transmission's Neutral Position Sensor state, but what if the sensor or the connection to it becomes compromised? What if the eBrake is less than 100% reliable; what is it's backup? In my prior car, had the connection to the sensor break loose and have had the eBrake lever snap-loose (minutes later) because I unwittingly set it on the edge of a tooth. Due to worn adjusters it also wouldn't hold on REALLY steep grades and, get this, the engine wouldn't either. So in those circumstances I just had to park it somewhere else.

One concern mentioned in the thread below was, the possible security drawbacks of having the car (or rather, a program running on it,) always connected to a public network.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12115-Ford-to-expand-Sync-3-capabilities-CES-2017

Most auto starts if programmed to regonize it's in a manual you have to pull the ebreak push the key fob for auto start then put key in off position get out and lock doors. In order to arm the auto start as soon as the car is unlocked before starting the process has to be started over. But most auto starts that can be used on a automatic will have a neutral sense but easy to fool by grounding it making it work for a manual also.

Ford has said that it keeps the functions of the car as breaks and other critical things separate from climate and audio settings but seeing that thru obd and forscan you can do alot and seems it's all connected unless the smart link is more of an analog approach sending specific voltage to turn something on instead of data to turn something on.