Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake and exhaust real world performance. Let's get to the nitty gritty

I've been around cars long enough to know what to ask and what to skip. Sometimes you just gotta get that confirmation.

Can't go by the box parts come in. If that were the case we would all have 300hp cars that had cold air intakes and catbacks
I just kept assuming I would find it. But thanks for consolidating. I was afraid they blatant question would be a repost. LOL

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
re: downpipes - I went with the 2JRacing option as it has the additional mounting bracket which I am a fan of. If you don't think it's an issue, then there are multiple options out there for a good price.

re: exhaust - I did it for the sound! Performance gains are minimal/negligible, this is a mod you do for your ears and your ears only. exhaust hangers are a good upgrade - that thing was moving around soooo much with stock mounts (side to side in the tunnel, not just front to back).

re: intercooler - DHM race is the best, bar none. Everything else is below that and stock fit options are quite good - Depo, Cobb, MTC all appear to share the same core, the only one to stay away from is the 2JRacing option - it's garbage.

re: intercooler piping - hot side is the only one that makes a difference, most sell both as a kit, M-Sport is trying to get just replacement silicone hoses but is finding it cost prohibitive. Depo makes a 'cheap' option - once again, lots of options for minimal gains.

re: intakes - CPE makes the best option, Cobb and Mountune work on a modified stock airbox but aren't really worth the money. I'll be using the stock box with a drop in panel filter on my X-47.

re: rear motor mount - Cobb makes the middle ground option - there are stiffer selections for sure (what they are escapes me right now...) but if you don't want the AC to really rattle the car at idle and yet removing the wheel hop, Cobb works well.

re: best 'bang for your buck' upgrade - hybrid turbo! X-47 or C-39 (now a Deadhook Motorsports variant) are good options

re: 'what you may forget to buy' upgrade - sticky tires, I'm hoping to force a 225/45/17 onto a 7.5" wheel with stock suspension, hoping it doesn't rub too much.

That's all I got! Hope it helps!

Jeff - I read what you said about that big mouth and you weren't kidding! Just wanted to tell you that looks awesome

Depo and MTC ICs are inexpensive and great from first hand experience but you will need an AP for full benefit.

Tbh, hard pipe upgrades like the Mountune and Depo/Cobb are probably worth the cash without question. Hot pipe especially. Spool was improved for me when I changed it.

Dyno wise I think the results speak for themselves. Trust nothing and look at the proof. Most mods for this platform do so little in terms of an improvement that they look like normal variation between dyno plots. It's sad, lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Zissou

Well said.

I've got one guy saying deadhook for the I/c. Any others to consider?
Keep in mind there are 2 Deadhook intercoolers; the huge Race one and the relatively smaller Factory Fit.
The huge race one is the top performer, but does require a different front crash bar.

The Factory Fit is designed to be about the biggest intercooler you can have without any modification (keeps stock crash bar). The research I did found that this factory fit was on par with the Cobb and Levels, but cost much less. So naturally that's what I bought!

Big +1 for DHM intercoolers from me, and +1 for everything DHM.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Keep in mind there are 2 Deadhook intercoolers; the huge Race one and the relatively smaller Factory Fit.
The huge race one is the top performer, but does require a different front crash bar.

The Factory Fit is designed to be about the biggest intercooler you can have without any modification (keeps stock crash bar). The research I did found that this factory fit was on par with the Cobb and Levels, but cost much less. So naturally that's what I bought!

Big +1 for DHM intercoolers from me, and +1 for everything DHM.
DHM makes awesome stuff but I'm not certain that size statement is correct

*taken from the which intercooler are you running sticky

c-pe core fmi
Core Dimensions:
29" x 6.25" x 3"
Core Volume:
543.75 in
61.2613% difference over OEM FiST IC
9.3863% difference over Cobb IC

Deporacing 3.0 FMI
Core Dimensions:
28" x 6" x 3"
504 in
54.3046% difference over OEM FiST IC
7.4074% difference over ATP IC

Cobb IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
495 in
52.6316% difference over OEM FiST IC
5.6075% difference over ATP IC

MAP Maperformance Intercooler
Core Dimensions:
27" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
486 in
50.9197% difference over OEM FiST IC
3.7736% difference over ATP IC

ATP IC
Core Dimensions:
24" x 6.5" x 3"
Core Volume:
468 in
47.3736% difference over OEM FiST IC
1.2903% difference over AIRTEC IC

DHM Factory Fit
Core Dimensions:
22" x 6" x 3.5"
462 in
46.1538% difference over OEM FiST IC
9.4122% difference over Mountune IC

AIRTEC IC
Core Dimensions:
28" x 6" x 2.75"
Core Volume:
462 in

R-Sport Stage 3 Garrett Intercooler
Core Dimensions:
24" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
432 in
39.7503% difference over OEM FiST IC
10.219% difference over Levels IC

Mountune IC
Core Dimensions:
29.25" x 5.75" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
420.47 in
33.8129% difference over OEM FiST IC
4.0816% difference over Levels IC

Stock FoST IC
Core Dimensions:
26" x 6.25" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
406.25 in

Levels IC
Core Dimensions:
26" x 5" x 3"
Core Volume:
390 in
29.8343% difference over OEM FiST IC
19.6224% difference over Mishimoto Z-Line IC

Mishimoto Z-line IC
Core Dimensions:
26" x 5" x 3"
Core Volume:
320.31 in
10.3635% difference over OEM FiST IC

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
DHM makes awesome stuff but I'm not certain that size statement is correct

*taken from the which intercooler are you running sticky

c-pe core fmi
Core Dimensions:
29" x 6.25" x 3"
Core Volume:
543.75 in
61.2613% difference over OEM FiST IC
9.3863% difference over Cobb IC

Deporacing 3.0 FMI
Core Dimensions:
28" x 6" x 3"
504 in
54.3046% difference over OEM FiST IC
7.4074% difference over ATP IC

Cobb IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
495 in
52.6316% difference over OEM FiST IC
5.6075% difference over ATP IC

MAP Maperformance Intercooler
Core Dimensions:
27" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
486 in
50.9197% difference over OEM FiST IC
3.7736% difference over ATP IC

ATP IC
Core Dimensions:
24" x 6.5" x 3"
Core Volume:
468 in
47.3736% difference over OEM FiST IC
1.2903% difference over AIRTEC IC

DHM Factory Fit
Core Dimensions:
22" x 6" x 3.5"
462 in

AIRTEC IC
Core Dimensions:
28" x 6" x 2.75"
Core Volume:
462 in

R-Sport Stage 3 Garrett Intercooler
Core Dimensions:
24" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
432 in
39.7503% difference over OEM FiST IC
10.219% difference over Levels IC

Mountune IC
Core Dimensions:
29.25" x 5.75" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
420.47 in

Stock FoST IC
Core Dimensions:
26" x 6.25" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
406.25 in

Levels IC
Core Dimensions:
26" x 5" x 3"
Core Volume:
390 in
29.8343% difference over OEM FiST IC
19.6224% difference over Mishimoto Z-Line IC

Mishimoto Z-line IC
Core Dimensions:
26" x 5" x 3"
Core Volume:
320.31 in
10.3635% difference over OEM FiST IC
You're the best.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yup, WHY I chose the cp-e over ALL of the other 'factory fit'/keep the stock crash bar options. [:)] [thumb]

(THAT AND your excellent sales/group buy prices Ron, which put this IC right into the same price range as the "bargains". [wink])

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Depo and MTC ICs are inexpensive and great from first hand experience but you will need an AP for full benefit.

Tbh, hard pipe upgrades like the Mountune and Depo/Cobb are probably worth the cash without question. Hot pipe especially. Spool was improved for me when I changed it.

Dyno wise I think the results speak for themselves. Trust nothing and look at the proof. Most mods for this platform do so little in terms of an improvement that they look like normal variation between dyno plots. It's sad, lol.

The nitty gritty: while replacing the hotside is necessary when upgrading the turbo, it's a nice thing to have on stock turbo. As far as the rest of the piping: I would certainly question the money spent, since the OEM materials present no weakness or significant disadvantage to hard pipes.

Yeah, that is why I was careful to say really the Hot side is the issue.

Tbh the 90 bucks for the Mountune version is money well spent. I still have mine as a spare. Very little difference between the Mountune and the full Depo kit from what I could tell.

If I could limit the mods I have done to the ones that probably have added power only, they would be the AP, intercooler Hot Side pipe and big mouth only. All the rest is mostly just sound. Exhaust and DP really did very little, but sounds and looks great.

Some people wonder why spend the money on exhaust and downpipe Etc if it adds very little, but if you're planning on going upgraded turbo like I am eventually and you like the sound and have money to burn, it's not that bad of an outlay. To each their own. One of the reasons why I bought this car is because it is highly customizable - I really just felt like buying an inexpensive car and making it my own.

I don't have my CPE intake yet. Jury is still out on that one.

If I could limit the mods I have done to the ones that probably have added power only, they would be the AP, intercooler Hot Side pipe and big mouth only. All the rest is mostly just sound. Exhaust and DP really did very little, but sounds and looks great.
You would put the big mouth in the definite benefit category? I got the impression it was also in the bling category?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'd recommend reading the BM thread and the wgdc log issue. That's what sold me. Basically, as I understand it, beginning at moderate speeds the Big Mouth modestly pressurizes the intake tract and thus the small stock turbo has to work less hard to produce the same boost levels. Someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

This is most noticeable at the upper third of the power band. I haven't been logging so this is anecdotal from my end, but I can't explain how else I started making power above 4500 rpm. Well before my DP, when I installed the BM, I noticed this increase. The turbo seems to run out of breath sightly less (of course it still does). That was on Cobb OTS Stage 2.

I'd be willing to wager a good tuner can make something more out of it.

Of course, it also looks good. Can't deny. At $170 or whatever the price is on the GB now, kind of a no brainer to me.

Also the GFV DV+ may deserve a mention.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Some people wonder why spend the money on exhaust and downpipe Etc if it adds very little, but if you're planning on going upgraded turbo like I am eventually and you like the sound and have money to burn, it's not that bad of an outlay.
+1 [thumb]

Some say that even with a large BT kit, the factory catback is fine, but I do not 'get' that, since at that point the 3" down pipe you installed with the kit, and the bigger turbine exhaust outlet, now causes the small factory CBE system to become the 'bottleneck' with more back pressure. [???:)]

As far as me not getting an aftermarket 3" down pipe to go with the cp-e Nexus; I just figured WHY pay for the extra labor to do that now (as well as the $300.00 to $600.00 for a catcon down pipe), for NO benefit with the baby factory snail, when it is going to have to be removed anyway to install a BT kit/hybrid in the future. ;)

I think that's very logical and reasonable. I went with the full turbo back on stock turbo. No regrets. If the DP is 99% sound I'd do it in a heartbeat again. Omg. The sound is amazing. Resonated CPE with Depo catted DP is probably 95+ dB...can't imagine what the unresonated sounds like.

Also, I think a good tuner can make a bit of power with it. We'll see what DHM can do for me.

I decided I should stay on stock front beam because I live in Florida where drivers are worst in nation. Plus I am a little wild on track. So its more possible I will encounter a front end accident than most of us.

That's because RI's and MA's snow birds all go to FL for the winter.

Coming from the VW world its nice to see that the majority of ppl here ask questions instead of assuming louder is faster. Great read +1.