Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What gear pulls the hardest?

2nd is always my favorite. 1st maxes out early, so I spend most of my acceleration in 2nd. 3rd is pretty good too.

Now, does our boost ever hit in 1st? It never really feels like it under acceleration, so I figured that in 1st our engine is only outputting about 180hp and similar torque. So we aren't making max HP and torque until the boost kicks in for 2nd gear.

4th gear is actually the gear ratio (1 to 1) where the most power/torque is applied to the road surface. The engine load is highest and the boost output is maximum for several seconds. The is is why (least drive losses occur at 1 to 1 trans ratio) the car (any car) is dynoed in ~4th. Thusly the engine/drive output and acceleration is strongest for the longest in 4th.

zanethan

2nd is always my favorite. 1st maxes out early, so I spend most of my acceleration in 2nd. 3rd is pretty good too.

Now, does our boost ever hit in 1st? It never really feels like it under acceleration, so I figured that in 1st our engine is only outputting about 180hp and similar torque. So we aren't making max HP and torque until the boost kicks in for 2nd gear.
The car is most likely boost limited in first to help reduce wear on the clutch. (The FoST is limited in 1st too).

A tune should help to alleviate the lack of boost in first gear.

You can go flying in 2nd gear,

well at least for me it's 2nd,

i'm still on the stock tune for the record.. [tongue]

Doesn't the stock tune limit boost in first and second gear? IIRC it hit 18psi, then goes up to 21psi in overboost from 3rd to 6th gear

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Doesn't the stock tune limit boost in first and second gear?
With stock tune 1st, 2nd, and reverse gears are all "torque" limited...gears 3~6 are not...

Gear Based Torque Limits (stock tune):

1st - 147.5 lb-ft
2nd - 199.1 lb-ft
Reverse - 132.8 lb-ft
3rd-6th - 737.6 lb-ft (unlimited)

I find even with torque limits removed for 1st and 2nd gears in my current tune that 3rd gear still "pulls" the hardest for me....

With stock tune 1st, 2nd, and reverse gears are all torque limited...gears 3~6 are not...

I find even with torque limits removed for 1st and 2nd gears in my current tune that 3rd gear still pulls the hardest for me....
I feel the same, on both the stock tune and Cobb OTS (stage 1).

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk