Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What gear pulls the hardest?

This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen on this forum. What does that question even mean? The gear that pulls the hardest is the lowest one you can use (without going over redline) for whatever speed you are at.

No need for opinions, it's a simple physics calc.

Using the torque truncation numbers BoostBumps gave us, with a ratio of 3.727 @ 147.5 lb-ft, first gear outputs the most force on a stock tune. With a tune that removes torque truncation, reverse gear would have the most force with a ratio of 3.818.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen on this forum. What does that question even mean? The gear that pulls the hardest is the lowest one you can use (without going over redline) for whatever speed you are at.
Regardless of how the question was phrased I think most of us admittedly know what he means.

He likely simply meant, what gear gives you the greatest amount of G-Force for the longest period ? The time factor makes first gear pretty useless.

Keeping in mind that higher wind resistances are going to dampen the experience at higher speeds, the answer mostly depends on the speed and RPM cap.

I always prefer to keep my RPMs beneath 4 or 4.5k and cap around the speed limit which may be 40-45 mph or 60-65 mph for highway on-ramps.

If I'm capping around 40mph, then second is going to be the most fun.

For higher speeds I'm not going to have enough RPM so it will have be 3rd. Regardless I'm not one of those people that does rapid lane changes and I'm almost never out late anymore so haven't gotten the chance to safely pull a third gear.

A7xogg

I think I know where your going with this, stock tune it's gotta be 3rd gear. Hoping it changes to a higher hear once I do my mods and protune

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
First off, My FiST is stock. I've noticed the most force in 2nd gear so long as the tires hook up; mind you, I've never launched, or floored it in 1st gear yet. And for whatever reason, 4th gear pulls harder than 3rd sometimes.

This is a trick question. The answer is none of them. Our cars are slow.
I wouldn't say slow, I can think of many vehicles that would fall into the slow category. I would classify the FiST as quick especially with mods. A Hybrid FiST is on par in terms of power to weight with a tuned RS. I would never say a FiST is fast but then again perception is funny, I've driven a prepped FiST on rally stages and the limit is the limit. To counter that I have driven many cars on track and honestly when your in the zone even a 458 or Turbo S seems slow on a circuit. I think the situation matters more then the vehicle in terms of describing fast or slow. The FiST can hold it's own and then some but I would never try the $100 on the dash trick no matter how many mods, just not that type of vehicle.

I wouldn't say slow, I can think of many vehicles that would fall into the slow category. I would classify the FiST as quick especially with mods. A Hybrid FiST is on par in terms of power to weight with a tuned RS. I would never say a FiST is fast but then again perception is funny, I've driven a prepped FiST on rally stages and the limit is the limit. To counter that I have driven many cars on track and honestly when your in the zone even a 458 or Turbo S seems slow on a circuit. I think the situation matters more then the vehicle in terms of describing fast or slow. The FiST can hold it's own and then some but I would never try the $100 on the dash trick no matter how many mods, just not that type of vehicle.
I'm just talking about a stock FiST in a straight line. I really hope that for minimal amount of money these can give you a decent "throw you back in your seat" amount of torque. Unfortunately, it looks like it'd cost a decent dime to do thanks to it being new-er to the US market.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I'm just talking about a stock FiST in a straight line. I really hope that for minimal amount of money these can give you a decent "throw you back in your seat" amount of torque. Unfortunately, it looks like it'd cost a decent dime to do thanks to it being new-er to the US market.
You can get an E30 tune, and intercooler for around $850. That'll throw you back in your seat.

You can get an E30 tune, and intercooler for around $850. That'll throw you back in your seat.
We only have one e85 station in CT and it's 40 minutes from me (not close enough for me to get a tune for it). Where/how would you get e30?

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
We only have one e85 station in CT and it's 40 minutes from me (not close enough for me to get a tune for it). Where/how would you get e30?
I live 30 minutes from E85. When I'm ready to tune, 30 minutes won't stop me from an E30 tune; others go through the same to get there E85, but each to their own.

Where: Lincoln. How: at the pump, or containers.

I live 30 minutes from E85. When I'm ready to tune, 30 minutes won't stop me from an E30 tune; others go through the same to get there E85, but each to their own.

Where: Lincoln. How: at the pump, or containers.
So do you just mix 93 with e85 to bring it down to e30 or are there e30 pumps? You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I came from Subarus and I've only heard of e85 tunes and the pump gives you e85 (winter blend is more like e70) here in CT.