Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY: Clutch Pedal Assist/Helper Spring Removal

XuperXero

Note: Done at your own risk. I'm not liable for anything.

ALSO READ THE NOTES ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST BEFORE PERFORMING THIS MOD. There ARE downsides to this mod.

So I saw this thread. I got curious and went under to take a look. Nothing I could see that impacts components or reliability. Most likely done to please majority drivers who hates stiff clutches. I've driven "On and Off" switch clutches before, so I could use a little stiffer clutch. So I decided to do it.

Step 1: Get several flathead screwdrivers. You're going to need them in varying thickness.
Step 2: Move seat all the way backwards for more room to work on
Step 3: Locate the clutch helper by depressing the clutch with your hand, you'll recognize it immediately. It's the only spring there, it sits in a "bucket".
Step 4: The spring sits on a perch that goes through the spring. With the other side of spring nicely seated in the bucket. At the end of the perch, where it pivots with clutch pedal, there's a black clip. You need to pry that out.
Step 5: Use thinnest flat tip screwdriver to work your way up the thickness to pry off the clip. The clip was a b*tch and you need to be careful not to break it. But it will come out
Step 6: After getting the clip out, knock the spring off the pedal
Step 7: Flip the bucket upward so you can have room to remove the spring and spring perch/holder off from top from the bucket.
Step 8: Done.

Now, I forgot to take a pic of before performing this mod. But here's the after.

Clutch Assist Spring removed

Here's how it was arranged

Here's another view with clip back in

Notes:
1. The spring is DAMN STIFF. There is no way I'll be able to compress by hand to ever reinstall it. Will most likely need clamp or some sort if I want to reinstall.
2. Without the spring, there is no more preload on the clutch pedal. This revealed something I dislike very much... a lot of play at the top of the pedal when not depressed. The spring used to eliminate the play by loading the pedal. I may look into fabbing a clutch stop/preload to eliminate this play.
3. After few test pumps. The pedal now feels a lot stiffer I'd say about 20% and more linear. Definitely feels like a sports car's clutch. Will give more feedback during my drive in traffic when I go home from work. Just did this mod over lunch time.
4. The bucket is still there, It looks too complicated to remove. But it could pose a threat if the bucket flips, it could block the clutch from coming up. I taped it with electrical tape at the moment to prevent this.
5. This mod is only worth it if there was no play. So unless you think of a solution, you probably shouldn't try it.

Oh and if someone could post my results here back on FiestaST.org forums, that'd be great. I'm too lazy to sign up for multiple forums and have already nominated this one as my main forum. [cool]

Edit: I don't recommend this mod to anyone anymore. I will leave this thread up in case some people are still thinking of doing this. You can read the consequences in post #6.

Did you find anything loaded with grease? On my car the peace going through the center of the spring looks very different. On my car its a cylinder that takes up all the space.
I wonder if you could replace this spring with one that is much lighter to take up the play, something so light that it would keep the clutch stiff but also take up the play.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #5
Did you find anything loaded with grease? On my car the peace going through the center of the spring looks very different. On my car its a cylinder that takes up all the space.
I wonder if you could replace this spring with one that is much lighter to take up the play, something so light that it would keep the clutch stiff but also take up the play.
Nope, no evidence of any grease. Dry as chalk here. I think we all have the same piece. I doubt Ford would want to increase price by having different parts for different market. The piece through the spring exists all the way through the spring and comes out from the other end of the "bucket". The spring was about 80-90% in the "bucket" but when you depress the clutch, it shows itself more. Maybe that's the "cylinder" you were talking about?

Great idea on the softer spring. That could work...

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #6
Update:

Feels great when doing spirited driving. However, during rush hour. I had to pull over and reinstall the spring. It was unbearable especially with the play. The play was actually fixed by putting the spring back on since it pivots upward direction when clutch is released, thus pulling the clutch pedal to the top. Also, it is not 20% stiffer without the spring, it's more like 50% because after reinstalling, it felt like a econobox clutch. That's how much my leg muscle grew over that short period of time.

Reinstalling was easier than uninstalling. I just used the heaviness of the clutch pedal to compress spring and then slid it through the brake and a couple of pumps of clutch by hand to align the hole to push the pin back in.

I now do not recommend this mod to anyone. It does give a more linear feel, but the play was just horrible. You need the tension of the upward direction of spring which actually increased the stiffness in the first 20-30% of the travel.

That part looks different than the part on my car, i will try to grab a picture of it. THe trick will be to find a spring that takes up the free play that is lighter than the stock spring. When my unit failed a ton of grease came out of it, now when you step on the clutch quickly it comes up slow. i can almost not drive the car.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
This did not end well lol but thanks for doing the install and guinea pigging for the rest of us!

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #9
This did not end well lol but thanks for doing the install and guinea pigging for the rest of us!
You're Welcome. Have a few other ideas in mind too. Will be tinkering as I go along!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
LOL I'm glad you posted your feedback for everyone, but great tutorial as always.

You're Welcome. Have a few other ideas in mind too. Will be tinkering as I go along!
XuperXero - What about a softer spring that is the same length? i bet you could find one at a hardware store? the softer spring would take up the free play but still give you the feel.

Let us know what you think

thank you

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #12
XuperXero - What about a softer spring that is the same length? i bet you could find one at a hardware store? the softer spring would take up the free play but still give you the feel.

Let us know what you think

thank you
Most likely it would fix the issue and give a better feel without any downsides. But at the moment, I'm happy with stock setup as I have a lot of stop and go traffic in my commute.

Most likely it would fix the issue and give a better feel without any downsides. But at the moment, I'm happy with stock setup as I have a lot of stop and go traffic in my commute.
Ok sounds good, Can you do me a favor? In my car if i step on the clutch quickly then let it go quickly (car does not have to be rolling) the clutch pedal comes up slowly. When you do it to your car does it do the same thing? Ford is trying to tell me its normal.

the duke

It's a simple linear spring. I suggest trying to find a different spring with a lower stiffness and see how that feels installed. If anything, even a minor force will help offset the play at the top, not to mention soften it up a bit for traffic.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #15
Ok sounds good, Can you do me a favor? In my car if i step on the clutch quickly then let it go quickly (car does not have to be rolling) the clutch pedal comes up slowly. When you do it to your car does it do the same thing? Ford is trying to tell me its normal.
Pops back up right away.

I still think you need to have your clutch fluids bled properly. Since I heard clutch and brake are using the same reservoir, you should bleed your brakes. Make sure the entire system doesn't have any air.

Pops back up right away.

I still think you need to have your clutch fluids bled properly. Since I heard clutch and brake are using the same reservoir, you should bleed your brakes. Make sure the entire system doesn't have any air.

Ford put in a new Pedal and a new Master. Still same issue. Pedal comes up way to slow.
i am now thinking it could be one of the in line fluid restrictors.
I may need a new clutch line. I think this was an isssue with the Focus ST.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #17
Check to make sure your hard lines don't have any crimp or bent in anyway.

I am going to try to take out the spring. One question if sitting in the drivers seat does the pin come out to the right? Pin looks plastic is it?

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #19
Yes pin comes out to the right. I should have mentioned in the DIY. It's only one direction.

Pin is plastic... so be careful prying it. I damaged mine a little bit around the edges where it was pry. My suggestion is to try to pry from all sides as much as possible which is quite hard with the little room down there.