Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Warranty Start Date Disrepancy?

I bought my 2014 Fiesta ST in January 05, 2016. At that time, the dealership ran a CarFax which indicated the car was originally purchased and titled on October 5th, 2015. I asked both the sales person (who confirmed with their manager) and the financing/signing person many times if this meant that the Warranty start date would be October 5th, 2015, and they stated YES every time. My only regret here is that I didn't get it in writing; I asked if I needed to get it in writing, but they said 'No, it shouldn't be an issue.' Jokes on me, I guess.

Anyways. I just took my car in to get it serviced for an issue with the blender motor (clicking in the dash when I turn off the bottom vent), and surprise surprise, they state it's out of warranty, because the Warranty start date is '08/12/2013.' I contested it, and indicated that the car was first titled and owned in October 5th, 2015. They asked if I bought it used, and I said 'Yes, on January 5th, 2016' and they said 'Well, the warranty starts when it was first bought.' (I guess they simply couldn't process the dates at that time). I came back home so that I could do my research and see where I needed to go with this, and ran a CarFax, which clearly indicates that the car was, indeed, first titled and owned October 5th, 2015.

Now, through some other items that I have discovered after the car was sold to me, I'm seeing some things indicating that Warranty starts from the first time it is serviced. Does this apply before the car is even titled? This was never, ever mentioned when I was buying the car and asking after the warranty. I have all the documents from when I signed for the car, but there's precious little there indicating anything about the warranty (it only indicates that there is a warranty, not what type or how much time is left on it).

As it stands right now, I'm waiting for a call back from the service manager, who stated that their Ford system was down. He has told me, however, that if the 'discrepancy' or Warranty start date is due to 'first in service' date, there's not much they (as the service department/dealership) can do about it.

Basically, right now, I'm waiting to hear back, and I'm trying to figure out what my step will be when/if they come back and say 'There's nothing we can do to help you' or basically not honor the warranty as it was first represented to me when I bought the car.

Thoughts? Ideas?

P.S. As a fun little 'side note,' there are some other problems with the CarFax involving services for my Camaro--which I traded in for the Fiesta ST--showing up as services for my Fiesta in January 2015 (before I even owned the Fiesta). Separate problem that is being dealt with/corrected, and is at no fault of the dealership, of course, as it was a different shop that I have do my work. But it sure as hell doesn't make it easier when I speak to someone and have them reference the CarFax.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Anyways. I just took my car in to get it serviced for an issue with the blender motor (clicking in the dash when I turn off the bottom vent), and surprise surprise, they state it's out of warranty, because the Warranty start date is '08/12/2013.' I contested it, and indicated that the car was first titled and owned in October 5th, 2015. They asked if I bought it used, and I said 'Yes, on January 5th, 2016' and they said 'Well, the warranty starts when it was first bought.' (I guess they simply couldn't process the dates at that time). I came back home so that I could do my research and see where I needed to go with this, and ran a CarFax, which clearly indicates that the car was, indeed, first titled and owned October 5th, 2015.
I prefer AutoCheck by Experian. It is much more accurate and gives more information. That aside, it should come down to just proving the date that the car was first bought (or serviced). Sometimes you may need to reiterate it. They might have just missed that since you said that even the second dealer said the warranty begins when it was first titled. These mistakes happen sometimes and it seems like they are using the build date and not the first sold date.

One other option if all else fails is to take it back to the dealer where you bought it. These arguments might hold more weight there since they are the one's who sold it to you and they may have better records of that sale and the previous one as well as the previous owner likely sold or traded it in to them.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, neeqness. This 'dispute' is already originating at the dealership from which I purchased it. They provided me a print out that clearly states the Warranty Start Date when I showed up this morning.

I'm not typically a very confrontational person, but I can't help but feel like I've been given a raw deal. I'm hoping they can make it right, and I'll give them the chance to. But I'm hoping this isn't going to be a case of 'Well, this was a demonstrator car, so technically the warranty started when it went into service as such,' because everyone I have spoken to have indicated that the Warranty would start when it was first bought/titled.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
But I'm hoping this isn't going to be a case of 'Well, this was a demonstrator car, so technically the warranty started when it went into service as such,' because everyone I have spoken to have indicated that the Warranty would start when it was first bought/titled.
It seems like they haven't said it yet, so I would just be patient and wait and see what they say. However if they do, this should be arguable but you might need to review your warranty contract to be sure. A dealer shouldn't be able to warranty a car to itself, but maybe that also depends on your state and/or local code. I think my state has code against certain types of contracts (or certain wording in contracts) but this may not be true in other states.

Also why is your warranty so short? Even at 2013 your warranty is only at 3+ years...

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
It's my bumper-to-bumper that I'm concerned about (and the implications of having a warranty that is 2 year shorter than expected) - From the warranty start date they're telling me, I'm several months outside of the 36mo/30k bumper-to-bumper.

He has told me, however, that if the 'discrepancy' or Warranty start date is due to 'first in service' date, there's not much they (as the service department/dealership) can do about it.
He's correct in that the warranty starts when the car is first placed in service, which can be before the car is first sold. Situations like this include the car designated as a demonstrator or by one of the dealer employees using it as "their" car for a time.

He's not correct by implying they can't do anything about it. While they can't change your warranty coverage they can take care of your problem and not present you with a bill. I'd speak with the dealership's General Manager about this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
So, just for some closure:

It turns out that the dealership that originally received the car claimed a rebate on the car, but didn't actually sell it until 2015. I don't know if this is normal, but it seems pretty shitty to me. According to the dealership, they don't normally 'start' the Ford warranty until the car is sold to the first owner.

In any case, the dealership DID take care of me with a 2 yr/24k mile bumper to bumper contract starting from yesterday, which is really the biggest thing that I wanted.

Zormecteon

Thanx for the update.

Off hand I would say that you have been dealing with a dealer who is not entirely honorable... glad they made good.. kinda.