Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

70% tint law in NYS

I had an appointment to get my windows tinted this past weekend and unfortunately they just passed a law starting 2017, that it is illegal to have any more that a 70% "light shown through" tint. This equals an actual 30% tint on the window. He said it's not even worth doing in his opinion, it is so light.

So I wanted to ask, what have you guys experienced in NYS as far as passing inspection or getting your windows tinted with "darker than legal" tint.

And also, does anyone have any pictures of what this "70%" looks like? He didn't even have it in stock yet.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
If you are doing it purely for looks then I don't think its worth it. If you are doing it from UV protection then its a different story.

Here's a good example: As you can see it's not much.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
I would honestly be doing it to hide my AP hanging on it's mount by the window. Haha.
That's a nice comparison.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I STILL would not leave the AP in the car, even with 0% light showing through, as many low lives will break in on the mere speculation that you have it (they are too stupid, or wasted, to realize it has to be un-married from YOUR car in order to be sold), or a co$tly GPS, or I.C.E. equipment/smart phone, etc. inside the car even if they cannot see it.
WHY let them have your device ON TOP OF you having to pay your glass deductable??

I kind of like that 70% light through film as it appears A LOT less 'G', or 'pimp' than the very dark films, which tend to attract LEOs to your ride when driving, even IF it were 'legal'. [wink]

I DO realize a low light let through tint is a necessity in areas where the sun and heat are completely unbearable (and the A/C rendered non-functional) without the darkest state legal tint.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
^^^I STILL would not leave the AP in the car, even with 0% light showing through, as many low lives will break in on the mere speculation that you have it (they are too stupid, or wasted, to realize it has to be un-married from YOUR car in order to be sold), or a co$tly GPS, or I.C.E. equipment/smart phone, etc. inside the car even if they cannot see it.
WHY let them have your device ON TOP OF you having to pay your glass deductable??

I kind of like that 70% light through film as it appears A LOT less 'G', or 'pimp' than the very dark films, which tend to attract LEOs to your ride when driving, even IF it were 'legal'. [wink]

I DO realize a low light let through tint is a necessity in areas where the sun and heat are completely unbearable (and the A/C rendered non-functional) without the darkest state legal tint.
I'm used to my other car where I used to leave it in all the time cause the windows were very dark. It was also mounted near the radio so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Lol.