Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine sluggish when cold

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't think this is anything unusual. It takes a minute for the oil to circulate and start to warm up. Also, there is some ECU tuning that adjusts the fueling and airflow to work with a cold engine and heat up the cat. If you just start up and drive away, it may feel a bit lethargic for half a mile or so, and will not feel 100% until it is fully warmed up (maybe 10 minutes). You shouldn't drive it hard until it is fully warmed up.
Is there an ECU algorithm/program which actually limits power/throttle opening angle during open loop operation until a certain coolant temp (or time if on a timer) is reached (since we don't have an oil temp sensor) on our cars? [dunno]

This. I was literally sitting, SITTING, at a stop light not moving and started sliding towards the curb. Tires not moving at all. Just started sliding to the right. I was like wtf....?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't think this is anything unusual. It takes a minute for the oil to circulate and start to warm up. Also, there is some ECU tuning that adjusts the fueling and airflow to work with a cold engine and heat up the cat. If you just start up and drive away, it may feel a bit lethargic for half a mile or so, and will not feel 100% until it is fully warmed up (maybe 10 minutes). You shouldn't drive it hard until it is fully warmed up.
My motorcycle does the same thing. I assume it's the ECU deliberately pulling timing to protect the engine.

The only thing I've had to replace on it over the years are the ignition coils. One wouldn't fire for the first half-a-minute or so at idle until one day, it just quit working altogether in the middle of a trip. Located and replaced the bad one; not much later another failed. So I replaced all of them.

EDIT: I should note that it didn't actually quit working. It just wouldn't fire under compression. Testing under atmospheric pressure, the gaps were huge, but still no where near the rest of the coils which were good.