Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What happens if you plug your Accessport into another FiST?

AzNightmare

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you try to plug your accessport in another FiST?

I have a weird issue and my AP isn't working properly and I'm trying to isolate whether it's the OBD2 cable, the AP, or my car... I was thinking of meeting up with a friend to swap cables and maybe plug my AP into his car or vice versa, etc, but not sure if something bad will happen. Or would the AP just not even turn on if it recognizes it's not married to that car?

Nothing, it's married to your vehicle. You'd have to unmarry it from yours to use it on your friends

I want to say it would just give you the base screen like when you plug it into your computer. Maybe it gives you the install screen but that gives an error if you click install?

OP
AzNightmare

AzNightmare

Thread Starter #6
ok. Well that's that then. lol
Let's move on:

Has anyone had instances where their AP wasn't detecting that the ignition was on?
As in trying to monitor the gauges while my car is running:

And I get this:

What I don't understand is, if the OBD2 cable connection is loose (which it isn't), shouldn't the AP not work at all? I mean it has to be plugged in to work.
But the AP does work, but it just can't seem to monitor the gauges (because the AP thinks my car ignition isn't on.)

Has anyone experienced this or can think of what might be the issue?

grnmachine02

I'm hoping that plugging your AP into another car will make it self aware. Robot arm, Skynet, human genocide, yada.

Non troll response: I've had my AP refuse to turn on before. Just a blank screen. 5 minutes later, it's back to normal. So, is it possible that maybe only certain pins of your cable are damaged? It obviously is getting power, but maybe the pins that actually transfer more than just power/ground are damaged.

OP
AzNightmare

AzNightmare

Thread Starter #8
I'm hoping that plugging your AP into another car will make it self aware. Robot arm, Skynet, human genocide, yada.

Non troll response: I've had my AP refuse to turn on before. Just a blank screen. 5 minutes later, it's back to normal. So, is it possible that maybe only certain pins of your cable are damaged? It obviously is getting power, but maybe the pins that actually transfer more than just power/ground are damaged.
well.., this issue has been happening for several weeks now. I don't unplug my cable so they shouldn't be damaged in anyway.
None of this makes logical sense to me.

Starting to worry it's something wrong with my car... but what would you even look into?

grnmachine02

well.., this issue has been happening for several weeks now. I don't unplug my cable so they shouldn't be damaged in anyway.

Starting to worry it's something wrong with my car... but what would you even look into?
Have you contacted Cobb? It very well maybe a problem with the AP itself. I'm of the understanding that Cobb builds these in house, so if there's any quick fixes they'd be the ones to know.

Maybe run by an auto zone or advance, and see if they will scan the car. If their code reader is able to connect and read the ECM, then chances are your car is OK. Leaving either the cable or the AP to be the problem.

It's pretty easy to diagnose if it's the car. Unplug the Accessport and plug in a typical OBDII reader that can monitor gauges (a bluetooth one and the OBD fusion app in my case, but any variation will do). If you can access live data with that, you know the car's sending all the info and the problem is with the AccessPort or cable.

Maybe run by an auto zone or advance, and see if they will scan the car. If their code reader is able to connect and read the ECM, then chances are your car is OK. Leaving either the cable or the AP to be the problem.
^^ yep that's the best way to rule out the OBDII Port as the issue

OP
AzNightmare

AzNightmare

Thread Starter #13
You ever get this sorted out? My AP has been a little flaky as of late.
What's happening with your AP?

I've contacted COBB but unfortunately I didn't buy from an authorized dealer so I'm out of the loop for warranty. Anyway, I wanted to figure out which component was failing. I met up with a friend to test out my cable (which I thought was most likely the issue) but to my surprise, my cable worked on his Accessport flawlessly, and his cable didn't work on mine. Next, I plugged in an OBD2 reader to my car and it was reading fine.

So I opened up a RMA Ticket and going to ship out my AP unit for repairs.

grnmachine02

What's happening with your AP?

I've contacted COBB but unfortunately I didn't buy from an authorized dealer so I'm out of the loop for warranty. Anyway, I wanted to double check and try to figure out exactly what's the culprit first, so that's what I've been up to.

I met up with a friend to test out my cable (which I was thought was most likely the issue) but to my surprise, my cable worked on his Accessport flawlessly, and his cable didn't work on mine.
Next, I plugged in an OBD2 reader to my car and it was reading fine.

So I opened up a RMA Ticket and going to ship out my AP unit for repairs.
Mine has started to not power up occasionally. If I cycle the ignition, it will power up on the second or third cycle. Not every time, seems to be random.

Hopefully yours will be a quick turnaround fix.

OP
AzNightmare

AzNightmare

Thread Starter #15
Mine has started to not power up occasionally. If I cycle the ignition, it will power up on the second or third cycle. Not every time, seems to be random.

Hopefully yours will be a quick turnaround fix.
Turnaround should be about 4-6 business day once they have it. So it's pretty reasonable for timing. I got really busy with work so I just sent mine out last Friday. It'll probably be another 2 weeks. (1 week for the AP to be delivered, 1 week for them to fix it).

Have you contacted COBB yet?

OP
AzNightmare

AzNightmare

Thread Starter #17
So update... COBB just received my AP this morning. Took a week for delivery.
Now I wait 3-5 business days for them to look into it and they will contact me again.

OP
AzNightmare

AzNightmare

Thread Starter #18
COBB's quick...

Less than 24 hr turn around to tell me my AP is done and they are ready to replace me a new one for $150 + shipping cost. lol...

Apparently the internal pins were snapped. o_O

They said, "In the past, this has been caused by attempted removal of an OBD II cable without pressing the releases."
I've never done such thing... I'm pretty paranoid about taking care of my things so it's kind of crazy how this could have happened.

Does any one know what happens when you get a replacement unit? I assume the serial is different, so how does that affect your car if your car's already married with your original AP with a tune?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
COBB's quick...

Less than 24 hr turn around to tell me my AP is done and they are ready to replace me a new one for $150 + shipping cost. lol...

Apparently the internal pins were snapped. o_O

They said, "In the past, this has been caused by attempted removal of an OBD II cable without pressing the releases."
I've never done such thing... I'm pretty paranoid about taking care of my things so it's kind of crazy how this could have happened.

Does any one know what happens when you get a replacement unit? I assume the serial is different, so how does that affect your car if your car's already married with your original AP with a tune?
Still have the tune on your pc or laptop? That should do it.