Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MrClean's FiST Build Thread

As some of you may know, the car I owned previous to the FiSt was a 135i which had a couple bolt-ons and the Cobb AP. I never had it dynoed, but most members saw power around 320@ the wheels with an aggressive tune, which is about 380hp at the crank. Definitely was a VERY ballsy car and would pull like a freight train. Which was perfect, because my background has been mostly Supras and other high-hp cars. The only issue I ever had with it was it is not good on gas(I drive 60 miles a day in shitty CA traffic) and the maintenance bill can get out of control if you dont have a warranty (oh, the nightmares I've had).

Upon purchasing my FiST, I originally intended to keep the 135, but upon coming to my senses, it would be impractical for me to have two cars (we don't have a garage at our complex and street parking the bimmer never felt safe to me). So, I decided it would be in my best interest to sell the 1 and lightly mod the FiST while saving up for something else (which will most likely be a Gallardo/GTR/or something super-lightweight with an LSx).

Anyway, plans right now are to make the car a fun little canyon carver. The suspension seems to be more than up to the task at the moment, but the power and soundtrack could definitely be better. Once a few things have been done, I will evaluate what else the car needs and go from there.

Parts on order thus far:
Rear Motor-Mount (RMM)
Cobb AP

Will update with pics and details.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Subcribed..I've seen a few dynos posted on bimmerpost and the numbers were rediculous on those 135.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Can't wait to see your progress.[lovest]

OP
MrClean
Thread Starter #5
Nice, welcome! The 135 is top of my short list of would-own-BMWs.
As it should be. It is an amazing little sportscar right off the lot, but has big potential. I'd wait another 4-5 years until the depreciation has settled and then get one with recently new high and low pressure fuel pumps and probably new brakes at that point as well. Other than that, the engine is very stout and so far I believe the highest hp one is making 700whp on the stock block.

OP
MrClean
Thread Starter #8
UPDATE: Changed up my mind a bit and instead ordered the Cobb AP and FSworks CBE. All parts were ordered from FSworks.

Installation of the Cobb AP was even shorter than I expected. Took maybe 7 minutes. Response has definitely improved. The powerband feels to have moved to the right and it feels a lot more linear now.

The exhaust will be installed when I actually get a free moment. Work always interferes.

Pics to follow shortly.

OP
MrClean
Thread Starter #9
Small update:

Still have not installed my CBE. It has been sitting in the corner of our kitchen for close to 3 months now. I'll admit it's the longest I have kept parts waiting to be installed, but I've been busy working on my c6 as well since it has had it's fair share of necessities lately.

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to get around to installing it this weekend.

OP
MrClean
Thread Starter #10
Update:

Purchased the Cobb DP and installed it with the cat-back, just to knock everything out at once. Car sounds great, as I'm sure you all have heard and seen the numerous YouTube videos people are making these days. The car will most likely stay with this setup for a year or two. I plan on getting wheels and tires and setting up the suspension better suited to be a canyon crusher here in SoCal.

Long-term, I would love to get this car over the 300whp mark, but that will most likely mean I will need to take the route of upgrading the turbo and fuel system. I'll probably let the factory warranty wear out before I go that route though.

OP
MrClean
Thread Starter #11
UPDATE:

Parts on the car are: Cobb Downpipe (DP), Cobb Rear Motor Mount (RMM), FSwerks Cat-Back Exhaust (CBE), Cobb Accessport (AP) tuned to stage 3, and a drop-in air filter for the intake.

Driveability:
The car drives great. I wish the steering was a bit more weighted on our cars, but being that our car has econobox roots, I do not expect too much. The car has plenty of usable space. It has roughly the same amount of space as my 135i had, but with there being doors to the rear seats and a hatch, it makes things easier for getting things and people in and out of the car.

I do quite a bit of camping and fishing here in Southern California (insert "you have no water there" joke) and this car has been just about perfect for maintaining my outdoorsy lifestyle. I have been able to pack enough gear for myself, my significant other and my lab for an entire weekend's-worth of camping, so I am pretty pleased with that.

Regarding the parts and upgrades: The drop-in filter is a great purchase. It's cheap enough and easy enough to install for any beginner to tuning. It adds some "spool" and decompression noise when under throttle load.

The full turboback exhaust has me on the fence. On one hand, it didn't make the car any louder. On the other hand, it added some power to my butt-dyno. With most turboback exhausts on most turbo cars, it is often a dramatic difference between stock and the upgrade, but with ours, there really isn't much difference. And if you read elsewhere on the forum, you'll see it doesn't add all that much power either. So, this upgrade was kind of moot, in my opinion.

The rear motor mount was a no-brainer. You can literally hear the difference when you do fast accelerations. I guess you could call it a peace-of-mind upgrade, since your passengers won't freak out anymore from hearing the motor smacking around in the engine bay.

The Cobb AP. Let's face it, this is the best bang for your buck with this car. It gives you the horsepower increases you'll desire, while still keeping your car sounding stock. It is also the beginning of the slippery slope that I call the "tuning bug."

Overall, the car is a fantastic daily driver as it sits. I know I may have had bigger aspirations when I first purchased this car, but now I think I can see myself just bolting on a better intercooler and the appropriate hard-piping and that should be it. I'm at that point in my life where I want to keep my DD relatively tame and not go full "becuz racekar" with my Fiesta as I may have done in the past.