Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who tracks their FiST?

I've done 5 track days in the FiST now. 4 in California and 1 in Colorado with more planned this year. Trust me, the stock FiST can do very very well on any track. At Laguna Seca, I was able to keep up with a Lexus ISF in the corners, but he would easily blow me away on the straights. The best compliment I got was from that driver. He told me he could see me slowly creeping up on him in some of the turns. He even let me pass him cause I was literally on his @$$. Also, BRZ/FRS have no chance against the FiST. See exhibit A:

https://goo.gl/photos/kKdH9M6tzUBxUDC48

I have done maybe 8-10 track days in my FiST. For the Fist two, the car was totally stock and the car surprised me and my instructor who was a corvette guy. I am surprised by the overheating issues; I did two days of 90+ degrees and the only issues I had were; 1. small loss of power after heat soak, 2. the hot side inter-cooler pipe popped off twice. I am in no way a great driver but I ran down all my friends (BRZ, miata, boxer-s). I have added the oil cooler, which I totally recommend. Biggest issue is getting the point by, you really have to be all over them to prove you need a pass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mov5lHfGvUQ&t=3s
(Chasing Z4 M coupe with alot of mods, my Fist was totally stock)
Never get intimidated about a track day, it was the most fun I have ever had with a car!

the hot side inter-cooler pipe popped off twice.
Yup, happened to me as well on first day :)

As for overheating.. there's no mystery, above a certain pace, coolant overheats. After adding oil cooler, I can do 2-3 hot laps, then it goes over 250F. Without cooler, I could barely do 1.

I'm doing all of this before my next track day with the Fiesta:
- BBK
- Intercooler (OEM heatsoak is real, car feels so slow in 4th gear)
- Bigger radiator
- Aftermarket wheels (I've bent two sets of OEMs just from riding curbing, they suck)

Siestarider

I have found running mostly water with heater on full blast while tracking reduces coolant temps enough to avoid limp mode even in hot Fla summer. That said, I am working on a cheapie oil cooler setup with less than 1 lb weight gain, I don't want more weight in the front.

Spending over $1k for Mishi coolers is against my religion.

But if the cheapie oil cooler and heater on don't get me below 230 F coolant temp on track, I will change something else.

I've done 5 track days in the FiST now. 4 in California and 1 in Colorado with more planned this year. Trust me, the stock FiST can do very very well on any track. At Laguna Seca, I was able to keep up with a Lexus ISF in the corners, but he would easily blow me away on the straights. The best compliment I got was from that driver. He told me he could see me slowly creeping up on him in some of the turns. He even let me pass him cause I was literally on his @$$. Also, BRZ/FRS have no chance against the FiST. See exhibit A:

https://goo.gl/photos/kKdH9M6tzUBxUDC48
Which club do you drive with at Laguna Seca? I'd like to go sometime this year after I get everything I need. I really don't want to be that guy, but maybe we could go together at Laguna Seca? None of my friends/co-workers/anyone I know are remotely interested in cars.

I was already thinking about getting a better intercooler like the other guys said, and I already ordered a COBB rear motor mount and a better shift knob.

I've never tracked my FiST but i plan to do it this year. The OA will be my firsr experiance in this car on the track and I cant wait. I just need a good helmet now.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

Yup, happened to me as well on first day :)

As for overheating.. there's no mystery, above a certain pace, coolant overheats. After adding oil cooler, I can do 2-3 hot laps, then it goes over 250F. Without cooler, I could barely do 1.

I'm doing all of this before my next track day with the Fiesta:
- BBK
- Intercooler (OEM heatsoak is real, car feels so slow in 4th gear)
- Bigger radiator
- Aftermarket wheels (I've bent two sets of OEMs just from riding curbing, they suck)
Youre right on with this. People that say this car isnt overheating either A) live in cooler areas, B) arent pushing it near hard enough, or C) have a miracle Fiesta. The stock radiator is just too damn thin, and is actually pretty laughable. The stock brakes work pretty well if you dont threshold brake too consistantly, but Ive got new pads/rotors sitting and waiting for the stock ones to get slagged. I wasnt able to notice if the intercooler became an issue because catastrophic overheating occurred prior to that. Now that Ive replaced it all at once though I had no problems. Im using the Ford Racing wheels and no problems with them even after taking the curbing a few times.

I've done a lot of track days with my 66. You don't need high HP to be fast. You need to be smooth. I would imagine the ST would be very capable at the track!
One of the most important things about track days as a driver is to be aware of your mirrors. If they are empty and then someone is there, give them a point by. It doesn't matter a wit if you're pointing by a Yugo or a Ferrari.

That simple mistake by novice drivers is what causes "red mist". If you're the one being held up, slow down or drive through the pits. After the session, try talking to the rolling roadblock. If that fails, talk to the stewards or corner workers.

We're all there to learn and have fun. It's not racing. Do this one thing and you will gain great respect with other drivers!

Once you've done track days for awhile, you might get the itch to go W2W and that's where the real fun starts [emoji41]

Just curious how many of you guys track your cars on a road course (not auto-x) and found it enjoyable? Did you feel your FiST had enough power to keep you entertained or were you signaling other drivers to pass most of the time?

I think the FiST is probably more at home on an autoX circuit, but I don't have the patience for spending an entire day at an event and only having 6-8 runs that last about a minute each. Just not my thing.

I have other cars more capable on a racetrack, but prefer the cost of maintenance and expendables to run a FiST as long as it is fun. I thoroughly enjoy driving my FiST on a daily basis and is my preferred daily and hope it can be just as enjoyable on a road course.

TIA for any feedback.
I took my Fiesta to the Nurburgring when it was stock and again with intercooler rmm and ots tune. It did really well. Handled a pretty rough track very well. Beat a few cars that were obviously faster just by getting a good line and carrying more speed through the corners. BMW Z4, older Subaru sti, and one GTR that the guy obviously just got and didn't know how to drive. Lol I think I even have me passing the GTR on video.

There were a few times it definitely left me wanting more power on the straights but as a pretty inexperienced track driver I could easily shave a minute or more off my best time. (21km track)

the hot side inter-cooler pipe popped off twice.

Never get intimidated about a track day, it was the most fun I have ever had with a car!
Also my hot side charge pipe popped off once too the stock hose clamp things are a joke. When I ordered my intercooler I got the piping with it and those t-bolts are where it's at damn near invincible. Then my hot side charge pipe broke so cobb redesigned it for me for the rougher track and sent me a new one free of charge.

The most fun I've ever had in a car was tracking the FiST [driving]

I do both track and auto x love both car performs brillant

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ST is a fun car, but cars like the Miata (any generation) or the FRS/86/BRZ require less modifications to be track worthy and make a more efficient use of tires/brake pads/rotors, so they're overall better and cheaper platforms to track on.

ST is great if you need 4 usable seats, 5 doors and the cargo space often.
Agreed. I bought my Fiesta in November so I haven't been out to the track yet. But when you keep in mind all the overheating issues and higher consumable cost, I still fall back to five cars being the best cars you can buy for the track:

Used:
1. Miata (Duhh, cheapest car you can get. Reliable AF. Just needs pads/fluid/Wheels+Tires.)
2. S2000 (Natural progression from Miata, bullitproof powertrain. Would just change fluid.)
3. C5-C6 Corvette (Natural progression when an S2000 or Miata doesn't have enough power. Pads + Fluid)

New:
1. Mustang w/PP
2. 17' BRZ w/PP

Those are the cars that with either minimal work and/or none at all can track without issues at a decent pace.

Last edited:
I still fall back to five cars being the best cars you can buy for the track:

Used:
1. Miata (Duhh, cheapest car you can get. Reliable AF. Just needs pads/fluid/Wheels+Tires.)
2. S2000 (Natural progression from Miata, bullitproof powertrain. Would just change fluid.)
3. C5-C6 Corvette (Natural progression when an S2000 or Miata doesn't have enough power. Pads + Fluid)

New:
1. Mustang w/PP
2. 17' BRZ w/PP
Having passed about one of each of those cars on that list last Monday (heh heh) I would definitely agree with those cars, of course Miata and especially S2000. Wish I could afford an S2k as a toy. [emoji14]

Ambient temps being in the low 50's or so, my oil temps reached maybe 250 degrees or so. Not bad at all.

Last edited:

Siestarider

Agreed. I bought my Fiesta in November so I haven't been out to the track yet. But when you keep in mind all the overheating issues and higher consumable cost, I still fall back to five cars being the best cars you can buy for the track:

Used:

New:
1. Mustang w/PP
2. 17' BRZ w/PP

Those are the cars that with either minimal work and/or none at all can track without issues at a decent pace.
Its a surprisingly short list.

For Fist, add front brake cooling, fluid and turn ESC off. I am now a ways from stock, but only about 6 sec quicker/lap on the local (2 mi) track.

But that day in the rain. The only car pointed by was a 4WD 911. And then it really poured and Fiesta took the checker both fast and alone.

Felt like Paddy Hopkirk driving his Sprite Prototype at Sebring 1965. Phil Hill recalled he stopped three times on one lap that day to let the water out the door of his open cockpit Cobra.

My opinion, when it rains, FWD is more fun than any other configuration. Turn Sport on and howl at the wind and rain.

meFiSTo

It is nice to see so many folks pushing these little cars around the track or AX course.

These are not "fast" cars. If you consider your end speed at the bottom of a long straightaway and compare that with the truly fast cars that often populate track days (at least in my general locale), it just is not that fast. But it is pretty agile and with a stout suspension, it is also reasonably stable. It is a tall, narrow car.. It has limitations and I personally think the current generation Focus ST is a more stable, faster choice for track days (thinking of comparably designed cars).

I've tracked this car a few times after many times with a similarly configured (Powerworks-supercharged) SVT Focus. I prefer this car for both daily driving and for tossing around the track. It is a fun car and if you're into stuff like this, you'll enjoy the car for what it is: a small, torque-y and nimble momentum car. I've written up some observations from a few events. Here:

YMMV.

Last edited:
There will always be faster cars out there no matter what you drive. I know for me straight-line speed isnt that much of a thrill, otherwise I would have gotten a Mustang or a Vette. I just enjoy taking my car to the edge, and making myself better. Embarrassing incompetent drivers in faster cars is fun too. Im sure one day Ill want a change of pace, and Ill spring for something else, but until Ive maxed out my abilities in this car (and to a certain extent maxed out the cars capabilities) then its still a blast to keep pushing myself and the ST.

I have tracked quite a few cars in the past but due to starting some businesses, I needed something economical yet fun that I could daily and track/autocross every once in a while. I picked up a used 2015 Fiesta ST a couple months ago and have done one autocross practice day so far, and really enjoyed tossing the car around. I have heard about the heat issues, which at the desert tracks in CA plague quite a few cars so a radiator and oil cooler are being put in this month. Looking forward to trying it out at the track very soon!

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #39
Thanks for all the input gents!

I actually have a fair amount of track experience with previous performance cars in the past. However, it's been a handful of years and want to get back into it. I think with my old age I'm not that concerned about trying to be top dog. I just want to have fun.

What do you guys think are the basic mods required to make the FiST reliable and track ready?

As far as Im concerned an upgraded radiator is a MUST. NC is cooler than TX for sure, but if the temps start to rise their is a very good chance youll suffer from overheating, and trust me that is such a let down. An oil cooler isnt a bad idea either, and is easy to do while youre doing your rad. After that its just the usual tires, brakes, etc. Power is nice so you can have some pace on the straights, but youre not going to keep up with most of the cars Ive encountered on the straights. You can have your way with them in the corners though with a good set of shoes, but you cant do that if youre in limp mode or on the sideline cooling down =/