Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who tracks their FiST?

As far as Im concerned an upgraded radiator is a MUST. NC is cooler than TX for sure, but if the temps start to rise their is a very good chance youll suffer from overheating.../
Out of curiosity, what track day oil and coolant temps are you (or anyone else) seeing on the track both with, and without the upgraded radiator?

Thanks for all the input gents!

I actually have a fair amount of track experience with previous performance cars in the past. However, it's been a handful of years and want to get back into it. I think with my old age I'm not that concerned about trying to be top dog. I just want to have fun.

What do you guys think are the basic mods required to make the FiST reliable and track ready?
Keeping the car cool is definitely something you will need to address if you plan to track your FiST. I am adding a radiator and oil cooler just to hopefully guarantee I can run a full days worth of sessions (I do live in CA and most tracks are out in the desert so might not be as big an issue but...). The other must is brakes. If you can swing a BBK, I would recommend that as an option. If not, try to upgrade to a track pad and definitely flush your brake system with a high temp fluid.

Oh, not necessary but the rear motor mount, for the dollars, makes the car more enjoyable.

Out of curiosity, what track day oil and coolant temps are you (or anyone else) seeing on the track both with, and without the upgraded radiator?
I couldnt tell you what the temps were prior to the mods because I didnt have an accessport, and my mTune accessport doesnt show oil temps anyway. All I can say is that I got to a point where the ST would go into limp mode after 1 1/2 laps, and then Id have to pit and let it cool before I could get any more meaningful lap time in. After the rad, oil cooler, Deadhook crash bar, and opening up the front grill I had absolutely no overheating issues. That was doing 20 minute sessions on a 1.7 mile track, and pushing the car to the redline between shifts. Coolant temps were mostly around the mid to high 190s, but would get into the low 210s momentarily before going back down. Ive run the stock brakes on both my track days so far with no noticeable fade, but I havent been doing a lot of threshold braking either. I did put Motul 660 in though for my second go-around though.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #44
Are cars such as the s2000, BRZ and Miatas more track ready bone stock compared to our FiST?

Not that it matters, but curious nonetheless.

I understand an upgraded intercooler to help avoid limp mode is an excellent step for hot track days.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #46
I have a Cobb IC sitting in a box. Will this suffice to prevent track work overheating or is a larger radiator and oil cooler still required on our cars?

meFiSTo

As far as Im concerned an upgraded radiator is a MUST. NC is cooler than TX for sure, but if the temps start to rise their is a very good chance youll suffer from overheating, and trust me that is such a let down. An oil cooler isnt a bad idea either, and is easy to do while youre doing your rad. After that its just the usual tires, brakes, etc. Power is nice so you can have some pace on the straights, but youre not going to keep up with most of the cars Ive encountered on the straights. You can have your way with them in the corners though with a good set of shoes, but you cant do that if youre in limp mode or on the sideline cooling down =/
I agree. Think first about safety (brakes, fluids, tires) and then durability (engine temp reduction). After that, whatever floats your boat. Sigh. It's taking more than I'd like to admit to float mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The overheating I experienced was coolant overheating, and nothing to do with the intercooler. A better intercooler will result in cooler/denser air getting to the turbo, but it doesnt actually cool any components down. So no an intercooler would not aid with the overheating. It would help with improved performance (power) though.

The overheating I experienced was coolant overheating, and nothing to do with the intercooler. A better intercooler will result in cooler/denser air getting to the turbo, but it doesnt actually cool any components down. So no an intercooler would not aid with the overheating. It would help with improved performance (power) though.
The stock IC is known to heatsoak quickly under heavy use, so it may not help directly with cooling the engine down, but everything you can do to help the engine not be stressed as you beat the living snot out of it is going to help.

Are cars such as the s2000, BRZ and Miatas more track ready bone stock compared to our FiST?

Not that it matters, but curious nonetheless.
That is a tough question to answer since most cars in the lower price ranges aren't really fully designed to be beat on for 20-25 minute sessions in 90-100 degree heat. I have heard that the BRZ gets by without any cooling mods but an oil cooler is recommended for hot track use. Not sure about how the S2000's handle heat but all 3 cars definitely benefit from track day pads (similar to the FiST).

The difference when it comes to heat is the turbo, it creates quite a bit of it that the cooling and oiling system need to deal with. I have heard the MazdaSpeed Miata's had heat issues as well even when similar year N/A Miatas did not. And the 370z, which is non-turbo, requires a big oil cooler to be added to keep it from going into limp mode on the track.

Not just the lower price ranges though. Apparently Ford is under fire because the GT350s are having diff/transmission overheating issues, and those are "track ready" cars allegedly. I think most off the shelf cars would benefit from additional cooling since car companies are expecting you to drive these cars to the grocery store and back, not blast them around a track for 20 minutes at a time.

I just finished my first track weekend with the FiST this weekend and it was awesome! I have just a stage 1 tune and put in EBC Yellowstuff pads and RBF600 fluid. All of my previous track day experience is with an 89' BMW 325i (same style as a Fiesta, low HP but light just RWD).

Saturday was cool (ambient temps in high 40's low 50's) which was good from a power and cooling standpoint but the track was still damp from heavy rain on Friday. The Fiesta held its own against all sorts of performance cars and really surprised me at how nimble and balanced the car is from the factory. Understeer is very manageable with your right foot. I had no issued with cooling or brakes which was a good start

Sunday was warmer with temps in the high 50's to mid 60's. At this point I was pushing the car to its limits with the stock tires. I found that the stock tires and suspension really held up well. I was hitting curbing at a decent clip and the chassis didn't complain at all. I did get the brakes to get a bit squishy in the 3rd and 4th run of the day but had no cooling issues and felt that the power delivery was still normal throughout the day with little heat soak.

Overall I think I am going to order a bit more aggressive pad, maybe a DTC 30, and add some brake cooling as my next mods. I will also probably be getting at least a mishimoto oil cooler if not the oil cooler and rad. Of course sticky tires and light wheels will come in time as well as funds make themselves available.

I was really pleased with how the little FiST handled itself on track and got many compliments throughout my two days from all of the BMWCCA members I was with about how surprised they were that the car could keep up. I can't wait to get more track time in this little rocket!

Siestarider

In the real world, there are no "off the lot" sports cars that will perform at a max performance and max tire adhesion for a full track day. It is remarkable we can drive this one as hard as some of us do on track with few modifications. I upgraded I/C before tracking. My tracking mod list (first year) in order of implementation was:
1. Improve the driver (really important at first)
2. Lighter wheels with stickier tires
3. Motul 600 brake fluid
4. Cobb AP
5. CMB brake cooling ducts.
6. Quaife LSD.

These are all things that helped me be quicker. When the AP says oil/water temps hit 250/240 I put the heater on full blast. Idiot light has never come on. My car has about 22 full track days, multiple sets tires and brake pads (OEM work fine on track with adequate cooling).

I am working on a separate very light oil cooler, have not got it working yet. Might just be me, but adding heavier cooling components to be safe strikes me as money better spent going more quickly.

Well if you cant go more quickly because your vehicle is overheating then you dont have a choice as was my case. My car was crippled by overheating in stock form. The upgraded Mishimoto rad was noticeably lighter than the stock despite being bigger. The oil cooler maybe added 3-4 pounds, which was easily offset by the DHM crashbar. All in all Id imagine I cut 10 lbs off the front while drastically improving cooling. Id say thats win-win!

In the real world, there are no "off the lot" sports cars yada yada

5. CMB brake cooling ducts.
6. Quaife LSD.

blabber AP says oil/water temps hit 250/240 I put the heater on full blast. Idiot light has never come on blah blah
Great experience man! I am missing your 5 and 6 on the list. That LSD is weighing heavily on my mind as I know it will improve driveability two-fold, easily. My oil/coolant temps are about the same as yours. I cool down when I see the checkered flag and by the time I'm parked in the pits it has dropped back to normal. Never limped. 250 oil is about right on most cars when they hit the track.

We'll see how the little guy does at Sonoma this weekend. [emoji481]

Siestarider

Thanks Spoon. My temps drop fast too, coolant usually 210 by pit.

If I had put Quaife in before brake cooling, may not have needed brake cooling. Some other less elaborate method might have worked with stock brakes.

Hindsight Track list with rationale:
1. AP-So you can get a clue about performance.
2. I/C- you can run higher maps.
3. LSD-So you can put the power down.

The car would help improve driving skill faster. Stickier tires, lighter wheels, louder exhaust/intake, more cooling, whatever your fancy, all easier to prioritize when you can put 190 whp to full use.

Alas, I spent to learn. And, what I learned on here helped me. Now if I can just get SS to send my C39 back, we can find out what that rascal can do on track.

Yesterday at Sonoma Raceway, ambient temps hovered around 60F. Red "overheat" indicator came on for half a lap during one of my sessions but I kept pushing it, no limp mode. Max temps were as below...

Oil: 267F
Coolant: 246F

Ambient Temp: 60F
Intake Charge: 114F

What say you guys?

Well with temps being at around 60F and youre already flirting with overheating youre going to need better cooling if you plan on running during the summer months. Mine overheated brutally with temps in the mid 80s and cloudy. Since Ive installed the bigger Mishimoto rad Ive never seen temps above ~220F for coolant, and on the track it generally hangs in mid 190s. I dont have an option for measuring oil temps, but I installed the oil cooler as well and have had no problems regardless of ambient temps.

Yesterday at Sonoma Raceway, ambient temps hovered around 60F. Red "overheat" indicator came on for half a lap during one of my sessions but I kept pushing it, no limp mode. Max temps were as below...

Oil: 267F
Coolant: 246F

Ambient Temp: 60F
Intake Charge: 114F

What say you guys?
Oil and coolant temps definitely seem on the high side especially with an outside temp of 60 degrees. Someone might be able to chime in on temps that induce limp mode but I wouldn't want to see temps that high on any sort of consistent basis.

I am looking at a May track day as my first in the FiST and the oil cooler and radiator are going in this week for that exact reason.

meFiSTo

Oil and coolant temps definitely seem on the high side especially with an outside temp of 60 degrees. Someone might be able to chime in on temps that induce limp mode but I wouldn't want to see temps that high on any sort of consistent basis.

I am looking at a May track day as my first in the FiST and the oil cooler and radiator are going in this week for that exact reason.

Hah.

SoCal road course venues + Fiesta stock cooling + summer = astronomical engine and brake temps