Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who tracks their FiST?

Siestarider

I am sure I posted pics of hood vents on this forum. Doubt I took pics of sealing all the cracks in the interior front shroud, I use black weather strip and black racing tape, but if you pull the nose off its easy to see (and get to most) of the cracks and force all the intake air to go through heat exchangers.

My custom oil cooler project awaits the correct center fitting to replace the stock oil/water cooler, plus its all in boxes, plus I am a lousy photographer.

I am sure I posted pics of hood vents on this forum. Doubt I took pics of sealing all the cracks in the interior front shroud, I use black weather strip and black racing tape, but if you pull the nose off its easy to see (and get to most) of the cracks and force all the intake air to go through heat exchangers.

My custom oil cooler project awaits the correct center fitting to replace the stock oil/water cooler, plus its all in boxes, plus I am a lousy photographer.
Not sure what you are using for an oil cooler sandwich plate but I created a custom oil cooler setup using a Mishimoto sandwich plate I already had from a previous car. For that Fiesta ST specific center piece, I called Mishimoto and they sent me one for not much money. Made that part nice and easy. If you are using another sandwich plate or have this already figured out, just ignore this :)

Siestarider

Not sure what you are using for an oil cooler sandwich plate but I created a custom oil cooler setup using a Mishimoto sandwich plate I already had from a previous car. For that Fiesta ST specific center piece, I called Mishimoto and they sent me one for not much money. Made that part nice and easy. If you are using another sandwich plate or have this already figured out, just ignore this :)
I think I paid $39 for a cheapie thermostatic sandwich plate from Summit, but ordered the wrong threaded connector, just have not got around to finding the right one. My goal was to construct a functional oil cooler for $100 total. But its just "big talk little do" until I install and test.

Been distracted by the WW front brakes cooking fluid on track, that has become #1 issue to solve. I reported in another thread that WW will sell me thermlock race pistons for $537. Seems to me that if WW markets its brakes as a track friendly upgrade, they should not boil fluid in the calipers, particularly as I have front brake cooling. But I have a very good email conversation going with their tech dept, so maybe something useful will come out of it.

meFiSTo

I think I paid $39 for a cheapie thermostatic sandwich plate from Summit, but ordered the wrong threaded connector, just have not got around to finding the right one. My goal was to construct a functional oil cooler for $100 total. But its just "big talk little do" until I install and test.

Been distracted by the WW front brakes cooking fluid on track, that has become #1 issue to solve. I reported in another thread that WW will sell me thermlock race pistons for $537. Seems to me that if WW markets its brakes as a track friendly upgrade, they should not boil fluid in the calipers, particularly as I have front brake cooling. But I have a very good email conversation going with their tech dept, so maybe something useful will come out of it.
What fluid are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvoNiner

I've raced a good amount on tracks before I tried tracking my Fist for the first time. Done a lot of chumpcar, track days and time trials. The car was good on track. As fantastic as it is carving back roads and Autoxing, there were some glaring issues that I needed to get done.

Even tho some people said the stock OEM pads are fine for track use, they arnt. Haha. Tho I just wanted an initial shake down for where I wanted to start, I should have just started on the brakes before my first outing. Turn in was great, trail brakes great and you can get plenty of rotation when needed. I was terrorizing a new WRX, S2K and 350Z in my run group. I went back, got stainless steel lines, pads, new rotors, high temp fluid, motor mount, and was set to make it back out this spring and I hit Bambi.

The cars back together again, but it's winter in Iowa and I'm gonna focus on engine cooling mods next. Anything else you guys suggest on my off season?

codestp202

I've raced a good amount on tracks before I tried tracking my Fist for the first time. Done a lot of chumpcar, track days and time trials. The car was good on track. As fantastic as it is carving back roads and Autoxing, there were some glaring issues that I needed to get done.

Even tho some people said the stock OEM pads are fine for track use, they arnt. Haha. Tho I just wanted an initial shake down for where I wanted to start, I should have just started on the brakes before my first outing. Turn in was great, trail brakes great and you can get plenty of rotation when needed. I was terrorizing a new WRX, S2K and 350Z in my run group. I went back, got stainless steel lines, pads, new rotors, high temp fluid, motor mount, and was set to make it back out this spring and I hit Bambi.

The cars back together again, but it's winter in Iowa and I'm gonna focus on engine cooling mods next. Anything else you guys suggest on my off season?
As long as your brakes and cooling are sorted it's a blast on track. I opted for wilwoods up front because I was cooking my brakes

EvoNiner

I my gf bought me the Boomba brake cooling... air scoops? Haha. I was originally going to configure something home made with the dust shield but then she got me those. Does anyone know if this is more of a gimmick or if they work? I was thinking of actual ducting (like we built for our chumpcar team) to the brakes would work better, but I wanna at least give them a go for the GF.

Also, I've always ran 16's for AutoX classing, is 15's essentially the way to go?

Fiesta ST needs BBK for continous hot lapping over a session, capacity of OEM calipers and rotors is not sufficient for more than a couple laps at a time. As for engine cooling, I'd start with an aftermarket radiator (Mountune or Mishimoto).

Last edited:
Car needs BBK, capacity of OEM calipers and rotors is not sufficient for more than a couple laps at a time. As for engine cooling, I'd start with an aftermarket radiator (Mountune or Mishimoto).
Once brakes and cooling is taken care of what would be the next best mode to work on? I was thinking coilovers to reduce the ride height a bit and for a bit less body roll.

Suspension needs are going to depend on your application. I only had camber bolts in the front (~ -2.5 camber) and wasn't bothered by stock roll, but my stock dampers degraded really bad after 3 or 4 track days, very bad body control on turn in that forced me to slow down more than before. Also ride got super rough on the street to the point where my back would hurt after long rides. I went with the $999 Meister ZCRD and very happy so far. Better handling than stock on track, and more comfortable on the road (I use 13 clicks from stiffest for comfort).

Suspension needs are going to depend on your application. I only had camber bolts in the front (~ -2.5 camber) and wasn't bothered by stock roll, but my stock dampers degraded really bad after 3 or 4 track days, very bad body control on turn in that forced me to slow down more than before. Also ride got super rough on the street to the point where my back would hurt after long rides. I went with the $999 Meister ZCRD and very happy so far. Better handling than stock on track, and more comfortable on the road (I use 13 clicks from stiffest for comfort).
Thanks, I had been reading that the stock dampers did not hold together so well when it came to track work. I have a to-do list for winter now! looks like brakes may be on my Christmas gifts for me list. Was looking into the wilwoods with some braided lines and some high temp fluid to round it out.

Brakes and cooling are a must on this car. I have the stop-tech ST-40's and they have been flawless ever since I put them on the car. I just went back to the stock brakes this weekend for winter mode and the difference is amazing. I'll be putting in camber bolts before next season as I can see the increased wear on the outside tires (damn directional tires). I'll probably end up with a set of coil-overs eventually but have found the stock suspension really quite great so far.

My car was a dream on the road course. It's really what I built it for. I just installed my mfactory lsd last week and can't wait to see how it does next track day event. I'm going to be buying a trailer this winter so I can hit up more tracks up and down the West coast.

So the general consensus is significant brake and cooling upgrades are needed to do any sort of track duty. In previous cars like my Miata a simple brake pad, SS line, and fluid upgrade would get you through most HPDE events which doesn't seem to be the case with our cars.

Have any of you tried Koni's on the track? This is first and foremost a street car but I was looking forward to doing a few HPDE events next year and have a set of Koni Yellows and Eibach pro-kit springs sitting in the garage. No, the progressive rates aren't ideally suited for the track but is it even worth a shot or does the group here consider them unsafe?

It's more than likely you'll need SOME type of brake cooling upgrade to track the FiST. But the amount of modifications you'll need will depend on a multitude of factors like how fast you are, how hard on the brakes are you, what track are you at... etc. What I did (and what I think is the best route) is to just try a track day on the stock brakes! You don't always have to go 100%! My first 2 day track weekend in the FiST all I did was flush my brake fluid with RBF600 and headed to the track. I found out that my style of driving and my experience required me to upgrade the entire braking system, but that might not be the case for everyone! I'm now on the Stoptech BBK w/ PFC 08 pads as track pads and PCF Z-Rated for street use. If I where you, come spring time I'd take a trip to the track with stock pads and high-temp fluid and see how it handles (don't forget to turn of ESC!). If you need more brakes, go for cooling ducts & high-temp pads. If that doesn't do the trick, step it up to a BBK. But it all comes down to what YOU need, not what the internet tells you you need.

I've been to 4 HPDE's and one auto X with OEM calipers. First two events and auto x were with OEM pads and upgraded brake fluid. Never had any brake fade issues. Last two event were with upgraded pads and brake fluid. Still no issues.

Same thing with my radiator, OEM on first two track days and auto x(colder weather for CA). Last two were with the Moutune radiator. I would say for the track the radiator is an absolute must. That little wafer thin radiator would not keep the car at normal operating temps even daily driving. The Mountune radiator was possibly my best investment for this lil car.

I've been to 4 HPDE's and one auto X with OEM calipers. First two events and auto x were with OEM pads and upgraded brake fluid. Never had any brake fade issues. Last two event were with upgraded pads and brake fluid. Still no issues.

Same thing with my radiator, OEM on first two track days and auto x(colder weather for CA). Last two were with the Moutune radiator. I would say for the track the radiator is an absolute must. That little wafer thin radiator would not keep the car at normal operating temps even daily driving. The Mountune radiator was possibly my best investment for this lil car.
This and what sidewaysallday had to say is the route I was planning on taking anyways but its good to hear. I'm no stranger to Auto-X but this would be my first true track event and something like Friday At The Track at Summit Point is a likely candidate.

Did either of you go into limp mode during your events on the stock radiator? My car has an upgraded FMIC, Stratified Tune, and Intake, but I'd planned on using the stock tune for the first event to get a feel for things and preserve the car a bit more.

This and what sidewaysallday had to say is the route I was planning on taking anyways but its good to hear. I'm no stranger to Auto-X but this would be my first true track event and something like Friday At The Track at Summit Point is a likely candidate.

Did either of you go into limp mode during your events on the stock radiator? My car has an upgraded FMIC, Stratified Tune, and Intake, but I'd planned on using the stock tune for the first event to get a feel for things and preserve the car a bit more.
Never went in to limp mode at the track but I was watching my coolant temps go up each lap. I would reach 230 and exit the track for a cool down run, if there was time I would go back out. The only time my car ever went in to limp mode was on my way back from Octane Academy in June, the radiator was upgraded shortly after that.

Early in the season on a stock rad and stock tune when it was ~45-50 degrees I didn't hit limp mode, but once it hit 60+ I would hit limp mode within 2-3 laps at 8/10ths pace. I installed the Mishi rad and oil cooler in July and haven't had any problems since.