Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Journey

Hi guys!

I guess this is the best and most appropriate way to document and share yet another journey of a Fiesta ST owner... Hope that wherever you're at, this will be an interesting read and I can't wait to learn more and more as I go!

How it all started
I'm based in Sydney Australia, and started learning in a 2005 Honda Civic GLi Automatic and learnt a lot from my first 2 years in that car. I've always been into cars as a boy, playing all the video games, getting the silly steering wheel set ups and spending hours and hours building stands with paper and tape (as you do!). I never got into the "mechanical" side of cars, just more an appreciation like "wow that looks cool" and "it's so fast". I was terribly excited to drive and when I finally got my license, it was magic!

In New South Wales, Australia, the drivers license goes from Learners to Provisional 1, Provisional 2 and then full license with restrictions at each level. I did my test in Learners in Automatic so no manual cars during my P1 year until P2.

My mother and father have always kept a manual car at home so I already had one to take over as soon as I got my P2: the mighty (slow) 2007 Toyota Camry Sportivo (or the SE, in other places). 5 speed, 2.4L engine, and the easiest car to heel-toe downshift. I haven't driven a car with better pedal placement yet (or is it because I got used to this set up first??).

That was in early 2016 and as the year rolled on, I learned how to drive manual from *almost* scratch (had some idea from the video games), started looking up manual driving techniques (mainly just cool downshifting) and naturally, looking into what car next.

So as you can imagine, plenty of youtube tutorials, plenty of tanks of petrol (or gas!) later and some spirited practice runs through the famed "nasho" and other "driving courses" around the area and I was convinced that this family saloon wasn't the answer.

If I'm honest, the Fiesta ST wasn't the first car at the top of the list however... And I didn't think I'd be able to buy a new car until after I graduate from uni (or "college", in places haha). But somehow things changed, I pushed to sell the Camry, my dad didn't believe I'd be able to do it so I did it HAHA and now to my surprise (and especially my dad's surprise looool), it was REALLY time to buy a car :D

After considering many other cars, mostly awesome used cars because couldn't afford them new, things changed and decisions moved in a way that we started looking at *new* cars instead (unfortunately...), mostly for warranty purposes. Concerned and sensible parents... so basically boring Mazda's or a Toyota, and other similarly "sensible" choices...

...Until I think my family got sick of me saying I wanted something fun, and knowing that I was going to put my own money into it, I convinced them to take a chance and I bought a dealer demo (that was more just sitting in the lot) with a bit of financial help from my father; 2016 Oxford White Ford Fiesta ST (June build, I think), 10km on the clock, and I haven't looked back...

So what now?
I've just done my 3000km inspection (at 4800km haha) and I'm super excited to share what happens from here on! I don't expect much of a following but I know I'll have a good laugh when I look back on this thread when the dust settles and stuff ;)

OP
E
Thread Starter #2
Backlog of things I learned after the 1st month of ownership
(in order of discovery)
1. Wow this is actually pretty sweet ride
2. Oh, so that's how you get it into reverse HAHAH
3. I really like the new car smell haha
4. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do
5. Okay this car is pretty fast and handles freaking amazing, the seats are really good
6. Hill start sucks so much
7. I wish the Sync 1 system wasn't so 2005... come on Ford
8. Pedal placement sucks
9. Feels like there's some proper throttle lag and rev hang... I thought this was a sports car...
10. White is hard to keep clean LOL

Backlog of things I learned after the 2nd month of ownership
1. I have lots of reading to catch up on these forums to learn about my car
2. The car is savage 1st to 2nd gear
3. I wish the exhaust was louder
4. Why is there a streak on my window (did the tint mess up? :O )
5. This car is still just as amazing to drive as when I first got in
6. It can legitimately seat 5
7. I'm coming for you, No-Pistons, I know what you make and I want it...
8. Wax is great for white cars haha
9. Figured out how to account for the throttle lag for downshifts
10. How much it hurts when you gutter rash your wheels

Backlog of things I learned after the 3rd month of ownership
1. I've read up on: RMM, exhaust options (and what is a CBE), splitters, tuning options, who is Mountune, modifications in general
2. The car is actually pretty practical (but I miss 5 doors a lot, we Aussies get the 3 door FiST)
3. I love that the car doesn't require premium fuel and is pretty economical
4. Why doesn't the auto wipers activate and wipe more often/earlier...
5. Whoever is in the back gets tossed really badly when cornering HAHA (sorry Tien/Michelle/Ed :D)
6. My phone is addicted to falling into the gap between the console and the seat whenever I'm in a rush
7. White is really hard to keep clean (I promise this will be last time it comes up...)
8. It tears up B-roads :)
9. People think it's just a Fiesta, perfect hehe
10. Don't look at a Ferrari 488 whilst driving on the Sydney Harbour Bridge otherwise you will hit your mirror against the side.....

OP
E
Thread Starter #3
Got the mirror fixed
Was quoted $200 for mirror repair hahah! (Aussie dollars of course!)
Which is a total rip by the way because I found out later they didn't replace the scratched mirror cap... only the clear plastic cover and the bulb :( quite upset about that, but learned a lot from it and I don't think anywhere else can teach me that for $200! Water under the bridge then :p

Got my pedal spacer and dead pedal
Thanks [MENTION=678]no-pistons[/MENTION] (can you tag people on this??!?!) for the great products :) I actually looked everywhere and couldn't find any reasonably priced alternatives... stumbled onto his Amazon page which didn't let me ship to Australia and then I e-mailed him and 10 minutes later, I stopped lurking on the forum, signed up and PM'd him and the two pieces came in the mail at the start of this week!

I had to dig out the wrench (still haven't installed it...) and I'm thinking maybe doing an illuminated ST on the dead pedal? Any suggestions...? I'll keep reading up on the forum though and I'm assuming it wouldn't be too different to installing interior lighting? :)

Looking at next modifications..
Exhaust:
Originally looking for Milltek Non-Res Race Catback Exhaust but having read up on it, seems like all the money goes to the sound and marginal gains in power... Decided, after stumbling on a res delete video, that it might be the cheaper way to go to get a louder sound! Getting quotes now from mechanics around Sydney.
FWIW, got quoted $150... but have heard from other friends of some shops doing it for under $100

Intercooler and Downpipe
Might give Depo Racing's products a go, have read up on the threads and reviews have been really good... First time working on a car so the money feels like a lot hahahaha! I'm seeing it more as an opportunity to give working on cars a go so why not!

Tune
Originally looked at doing Mountune (in hopes to retain my warranty) but it's been so blurred as to whether warranty will be honoured or not after the tune... $2300+ for dealer to install in Australia and apparently it's still unclear if it will be covered?!?! Have also contacted Mountune UK and they've said should be 2-3 weeks wait til they stock again... intercooler and downpipe first! (come on, I'm a full time student still, that just blew a huge chunk of savings on the car already...)

Will post photos and updates when things eventuate !!

Awesome - I love the white on this car. Have you looked at the Cobb AP/eTuning options? I kinda doubt that your car would stay under warranty though...

OP
E
Thread Starter #5
Awesome - I love the white on this car. Have you looked at the Cobb AP/eTuning options? I kinda doubt that your car would stay under warranty though...
I'll get some photos up soon too ???? looks so nice in white hehe!

I have considered that and I reckon if no tune is covered, then I'll wait 3 years til the warranty runs out then probably give the AP/other tuning options a look... TBH I think the MP215 isn't enough of a leap hehe but if it does end up satisfying Ford for warranty, then I'll stick to it, after all isn't that the main reason to buy new!?

I'll get some photos up soon too ???? looks so nice in white hehe!

I have considered that and I reckon if no tune is covered, then I'll wait 3 years til the warranty runs out then probably give the AP/other tuning options a look... TBH I think the MP215 isn't enough of a leap hehe but if it does end up satisfying Ford for warranty, then I'll stick to it, after all isn't that the main reason to buy new!?
Sure is, I'd be careful with mods for the 3 years and save my money to go nuts once the warranty is over [rockon]

OP
E
Thread Starter #7
4 months in...
Pedal Spacer
Finally got me a deep socket set and got the No-Pistons pedal spacer installed woop woop! I think it's making a world of difference :) still wish it was a little closer to the left towards the brake pedal but at least the height is perfect rn :) just the rev hang/throttle delay thats annoying me now haha

Exhaust
Had been opening and closing a thousand exhaust sound clips from YouTube and I thought I was set on the Milltek non-res race exhaust but then stumbled on a simple res delete sound clip that seemed to offer most of what I was looking for!
Got it done at Castle Hill exhaust (for the Sydney-siders!) for $110. A quick hour job, worth the drive and sounds pretty nice!
Not too loud, but loud when it's time to be :) doesn't fart and absolutely no drone! (!!!!!!) I even get a little bit of cheeky burbles but I wish I had more hehehe. Quite happy about it and I think I drove about 100kms after the job with no music and the windows down just so I could hear it HAHAHA

Intake
Super awesome Velossa Tech guys from the forum all the way to the Aussie distributor made it possible to get a good deal on the Big Mouth Intake! Such a pleasure to deal with and feels good to get it delivered locally, an honest rarity for Aussies it seems hahah! Will install it with a friend (both never really worked on cars!) next week :)

Depo Racing
Found Tim from Depo Racing through the forums and decided I couldn't hold back on getting some "smaller" modifications... Just hoping these parts don't mess around with the car too much to cause any problems that would need warranty haha! Seriously couldn't help myself!
Got his very nice intercooler as well as the catted downpipe (save da planet!) and will install with the Big Mouth since the bumper has to come off anyway :)

Other stuff
Ordered the Triple R front splitter from Jamsport Store and they ship to Australia at such a reasonable price :) :) apparently was supposed to wait 6-8 weeks but was then informed they had a bit of a surprise shipment and its on it's way now! So happy hehe!
Will probably find a well priced RMM and call it a day with the modifications until a tune once warranty ends (hope I can hold out...)
I already think the car is fast and great and hopefully the mods so far will help it keep putting that out consistently in all weather and driving time and the tune will make the car fresh again in 3 years???? hahahahah! Really wanna get rid of that rev hang + throttle delay though, not gonna lie :(