Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Scca STX autocross build

OP
C
Thread Starter #61
What do you want to do as far as greater wheel/tire width goes, a 15x8/8.5 with 225/45-15 Rivals on them??
225 width tire as a minimum. All of a sudden there is a group of 245s that could be feasible. I would probably start with a 225 on the widest 15" wheel I can find, which right now is 8.25".

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
225 width tire as a minimum. All of a sudden there is a group of 245s that could be feasible. I would probably start with a 225 on the widest 15" wheel I can find, which right now is 8.25".
Like this one?;

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...um=44VR5GFRS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1

IF there was a way to get those INSIDE OF the wheel wells/fenders, without flares, they would steer me towards a 15" wheel myself. [wink]

How do you find the "comfort" of the SWIFT Springs (in terms of general compliance, bounciness etc)? I know you already mentioned they were stiffer, but that's a given considering the springs are stiffer :D haha

OP
C
Thread Starter #65
If you think that the FiST is already too stiff, these aren't the springs for you. If you can tolerate a minor increase then no big deal. The Konis with stock springs ran smoother. These springs with the Konis feel close to the all stock ride. I may fiddle more with rebound, front & rear. I'll report back if that makes a difference.

I went over times at solo nats and found a ~6% difference in time between stx and hs. (Stx minis and twins vs. HS minis and FiSTs) Looking at some known nationally fast people at events other than nats, that 6% difference appears to be typical. So, with the proper set-up and driver I think a winning FiST in stx is possible. I didnt really think this would be the case until this thread. So my question is, why the heck arent we getting wider wheels & tires and droppin this puppy on coilovers? [:D] (stx in '18)

OP
C
Thread Starter #67
I went over times at solo nats and found a ~6% difference in time between stx and hs. (Stx minis and twins vs. HS minis and FiSTs) Looking at some known nationally fast people at events other than nats, that 6% difference appears to be typical. So, with the proper set-up and driver I think a winning FiST in stx is possible. I didnt really think this would be the case until this thread. So my question is, why the heck arent we getting wider wheels & tires and droppin this puppy on coilovers? [:D] (stx in '18)
Please lead the way to the wide wheels. :) best I've found are 8.25" wide outside of stupid heavy or custom $$$.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Please lead the way to the wide wheels. :) best I've found are 8.25" wide outside of stupid heavy or custom $$$.
I'm running 17x8 6UL - there's a 17x9 option but I'm not sure they will fit with much camber. I'm going to try to tip the top of my ST XTA's inward as far as they will go and readjust camber on the knuckle side to see how much clearance I can get, but the wheel rim was just kissing the coilover body with -2.5? and 0 adjustment at the top so I went with 12.5mm spacers. Even if I can get clearance on the inside, I don't think that I have .5" on the outside and we're not allowed to pull fenders in STX.

OP
C
Thread Starter #70
I'm running 17x8 6UL - there's a 17x9 option but I'm not sure they will fit with much camber. I'm going to try to tip the top of my ST XTA's inward as far as they will go and readjust camber on the knuckle side to see how much clearance I can get, but the wheel rim was just kissing the coilover body with -2.5? and 0 adjustment at the top so I went with 12.5mm spacers. Even if I can get clearance on the inside, I don't think that I have .5" on the outside and we're not allowed to pull fenders in STX.
What offset were your 6UL?

Also, RaamAudio converted to 4x100. The world is your oyster with 4x100. I did write a letter to SCCA asking for the hub conversion to be allowed in ST*- request denied.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What offset were your 6UL?

Also, RaamAudio converted to 4x100. The world is your oyster with 4x100. I did write a letter to SCCA asking for the hub conversion to be allowed in ST*- request denied.
ET45 - my local steward interpreted 14.4 to allow hub conversions...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
9" wide wheels will require a camber change or custom offset on the rear of the car and a different offset up front.

I had to cut the axle flanges loose and go to -1.9 rear camber but I wanted to do so to balance out the handling as well since adding more front camber and I changed the rear toe to zero at the same time, it was a prett serious job.

The none ST rear axle has I believe -1.5 camber but that is still going to be a tough fit as I had to roll and pull the fenders as much as possible with -1.9 so more work if using that axle. It also is a bit softer so will not react the same way, might need a sway bar, etc..I do not run or need a rear bar though I had planned to test a 5-way bar I modded to fit this car.

There has been talk about making shims to correct the camber which I believe should be done on any ST with more front camber but nothing has been released I know of. With shims and -2.0 camber there might still be less room that how I modded mine as it moved the whole flange in except one corner I left lightly attached, not sure about this though.

OP
C
Thread Starter #74
Rick, were your fitting issue due to wheel width, tire width or tire height? Would keeping a higher ride height have helped?

Also, I think that 4x100 is fine for local events. You'd have to be an ass to protest that. But for National level events :

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ah - "the Category Philosophy" - ST is for mildly tuned street cars ("common engine and suspension modifications") and machining hubs is over and beyond. Interesting because ST specifically allows a fair amount of work to increase camber, including slotting the strut towers and swapping out control arms, so you'd think that something benign like changing bolt pattern would be allowed.

AKA - TYFYI.... the most annoying response from the SEB. Keep trying. Also, could you send me a copy of your letter? I'm thinking this may be time for a campaign... :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
15x9, +35mm, rear wheels and the 225 wide tires will not fit under the rear fenders, diameter will be an issue at any height.

I had to roll the fenders out as far as they would stretch and then it made a little visual lip on the fenders I do not mind but some may not find that acceptable, my cars are about performance first and foremost so it is a none issue with me. I also had to trim off the factory sealant on the inner to outer fender joint as the tires rubbed it.

It would require something like a +50 in 15x9 to possibly clear without adding camber and then rolling may still be needed, there are no 15x9 in +45 or 50 I know of.

On the front a +40 would hit the coilovers, wheels and tires likely, have to run at least a 5mm spacer, I run 1.5mm spacers with +35mm which I made from some 6061 sheet aluminum I had, they do not need to be machined being so thin.

The 15x8 wheel will support a fairly wide 225 just fine but for better turn in response, feedback, leading to faster lap times the 9" wide wheel is optimal, it helps bring back some of the lost responsiveness of going to smaller wheels, taller sidewalls.

I could of ran 17x9 but they weigh more, cost more, not available when I built the car, harsher ride, etc...not worth it, I would only switch to 16's if going up, 16x8 should of been the factory wheel size!

Maybe something to consider would be running some sort of stagger. Like a 245/255 up front and a 225/205 out back. not saying it's necessary for rotation or grip, but purely for fitment.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
For high powered cars the wider front and narrower rear is a perfectly viable option.
I run 225's on 15x9 but the rear was a great deal of work to make it happen.
Overly wide 225 Hoosiers did not fit the rear but did on the front, they are more like a 240 or so in actually.
I was considering 15x10 front with 245 RA1 and 15x9 rear with 225 RA1 at one time but even more radical considering 15x11 with 275's all around:)

Yeah, ho-ho's tend to run wide. My 225 a6's for the neon were the same width as some 245 street tires. I was thinking a 245-15 front and a 225-15 rear(or maybe playing with diameters front to rear may heed some positive results as well). ah well, time and money to burn would yield all the best results in the world, right?

Looking forward to seeing how this setup progresses in testing.