Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cyborg/big turbo and LSD and traction and torque steer questions

Siestarider

This makes good sense but my goal is preserving 100% or as close as I can get to that of power for the street hence the LSD. Again that's part of why many of us bought the FiST in the first place instead of something we couldn't fully enjoy safely unless on closed roads. I'm concerned of having too much power to use on the street and in corners.

Again from most of the reviews of BT I read people have to be ginger with the throttle in lower gears. Those who have beyond 300 HP without LSD are struggling big time with torque steer whether or not they want to admit it, it's impossible not to be. Factory TC is decent but can't come near to reining in a tuned car even with a stock turbo much less one with a BT.
Sounds like your distinction between stock and modded with more hp/tq is more one of theory than practice. No amount of TVC or LSD will prevent overpowering drive wheels in certain circumstances, stock or not. Nearly every modern car has the potential to over power drive wheels in first gear in a straight line, or other lower gears when weight is transferred to outside drive wheel. Hence the need for a driver who understands the limits of tires and drivetrain to get the most out of them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^So, in your opinion, an aftermarket LSD will not help 'save' the brakes in the stereotypical 'canyon carving' scenarios (even though to a much lesser extent), as it will on a road course?

What about just ultimate control when ALL of the on board nannies are as turned off as they can be (i.e.; whatever TVC is still mandated to be on at that point by the factory settings).

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Sounds like your distinction between stock and modded with more hp/tq is more one of theory than practice. No amount of TVC or LSD will prevent overpowering drive wheels in certain circumstances, stock or not. Nearly every modern car has the potential to over power drive wheels in first gear in a straight line, or other lower gears when weight is transferred to outside drive wheel. Hence the need for a driver who understands the limits of tires and drivetrain to get the most out of them.
It is one of practice.....my last serious build was a Subaru which I big turbo'd and had tuned to near 400hp, along with springs and beefy sways and some bracing....this is AWD of course and it held the road 100% at WOT and could take most any car if needed pretty easily....the problem is I'm spoiled with AWD and I'm not content to put more power into the Fiesta while the tires/drivetrain are the least common denominator...my goal is perfectly balancing power and tires and drivetrain as much as is possible which I believe I have achieved at this point. I'm not saying it's right or for everyone, just for my needs and taste. My buddy has an S3....driving that and then getting back in the Fiesta makes one realize that no matter how much power is put into the Fiesta it will never be balanced like the S3 (or a well-built Subaru, or whatever). It may have similar power/acceleration but it feels unbalanced for the reasons we are discussing.

Thanks for the conversation guys this is helpful and enjoyable.