Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

More Positive Shifting: Let's get to the nitty gritty

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Mountune ONLY makes the under hood shifter plate/adapter, and ONLY boomba racing offers anything to shorten the throw INSIDE the interior/console of the car, at and BY replacing the actual shifter HANDLE mechanism itself (as far as I know [dunno]).

I have all of the following:
COBB RMM
Motul 300 Trans Fluid
Boomba Aluminum Shifter and Trans Bushings
Boomba Aluminum Adapter Plate
Boomba Short Shifter
nopistons Gas Pedal Spacer
Lathewerks Hybrid Piston Shift Knob

So where does that leave me with shift feel? I'd consider it just about perfect, which I realize is subjective. The Boomba kit obviously makes the biggest difference. Super short throws (40% reduction) greatly decrease the amount of time between gears, while the bushings and adapter increase the "notchiness". Nothing about shifting my car feels soft. Very hard, satisfying, mechanical shifts.

Honestly the fluid change didn't make a huge difference to me. I did it when it was due for a change anyway, but I wouldn't label it as a necessity.

The RMM is a necessity for our cars since the engine will smack the firewall on hard 1-2 shifts without it, but I can't speak to the difference vs. OEM because I purchased my car with the RMM installed.

Finally, the shift knob. Get one that's heavier than stock for sure. I like having more surface area to grip, so I went with a tall cylindrical knob but really anything is going to be more satisfying than the plain jane small OEM knob.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The RMM is a necessity for our cars since the engine will smack the firewall on hard 1-2 shifts without it, but I can't speak to the difference vs. OEM because I purchased my car with the RMM installed.
The engine does not smack the firewall. That sound/feel is the RMM 'bottoming out.' There's no way the engine could smack the firewall short of being pushed in from a massive front end collison.

The engine does not smack the firewall. That sound/feel is the RMM 'bottoming out.' There's no way the engine could smack the firewall short of being pushed in from a massive front end collison.
Sorry for the misinformation. Regardless, it's not a pleasant experience from what I've heard.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Sorry for the misinformation. Regardless, it's not a pleasant experience from what I've heard.
No worries... It's a myth that crops up from time to time, first told by 'once upon a time' FiST hero and demigod, Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire. You are correct there, though. It's not pleasant at all... It's pretty alarming.