Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AEM Meth Injector/Throttle body HELP. Meth Bog?

Ish

Alright so Ive been running meth for about 3 weeks now. First 2 weeks was on a 500cc nozzle and had 0 issues. I was about done tuning but we decided to give a 1000cc injector a try. So on Thursday of last week I swapped the nozzle to 1000cc. Turned the pump down to make adjustments and saw no improvement so we left it at that. I was told that at the settings that i Had the controller the 1000cc nozzle would be just fine.

My settings - 500cc nozzle(START Knob 10psi - FULL knob 28psi)
- 1000cc nozzle(START Knob 15psi - FULL Knob 35psi)

Now, that day everything was fine. Next day on Friday on my way off work I noticed some bog at partial throttle. Then It did it again on the next light. I tried going WOT and my car completely shut off going about 40mph. So I turned the pump off and swap to my e30 tune and i thought everything was fine. Later that night I tested it and tried going WOT and my car didnt let me once again. So I did a little research and concluded maybe the 1000cc nozzle was spraying too much. So I swapped it to the smaller 500cc and I also did my oil change just in case there was any water content in the engine. I also checked the plugs and they seemed fine, and went ahead and checked the compression in all cylinders and everything checked out ok. Now its been a week and its still not letting me go WOT with out bogging, all I can do is daily it and stay out of boost. After some research I was thinking it may be my Throttle Body thats gummed up by that crappy boost juice(which im not going to run anymore) but has anyone ever experienced this before? Another suggestion I was given was that maybe the valve In the AEM Injector was stuck open, I blew that off at first but today I noticed my tank was low when it had about 1/4 left and the pump has been off for about a week.

Has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions on what might be causing it?
Im working on it tomorrow so I want some suggestions on what it might be or some helpful info. Thanks.

Note* My car was having weak start ups before oil change so I assumed it was the throttle body but that has gone away since then. Now its just the bog/shut off at WOT

...What? Uh, 60 cc/min nozzles are about 1-ish gallon per hour (probably). For 1000cc, thats about...10-15 gallons per hour (depending on pressure)? WAAAAAAAAAY too much man, way too much. If your engine stalls with that much meth/water (50%/50%?) you can hydrolock your motor. Bent rods, messed up pistons, the works. Even 100% meth could hurt something. The largest nozzle I would run with the Focus ST, for a 2.0 L turbo is probably 7 GPH or a 640 cc/min nozzle.

Check your AFR while you are spraying. You much be running extremely rich, or your car is pulling a lot of fuel to keep your AFRs in check. You also could have meth pooling somewhere in the intake. I'd pull off one of the couplers you can remove without pulling the bumper and check. Think intercooler, bottom pipes...maybe puddling in the intake manifold. If you get a rush of not atomized liquid in your intake, it can extinguish your spark.

I think 2-5 GPH should be what you should be working with? Is your car running fine without any spraying?

EDIT: Drop back down to a smaller nozzle size than 500cc, then do a 3rd gear data log without meth. Then do a datalog with the meth. You can find out about how much fuel your ECU is pulling from the direct injectors by looking at the logs. Or you can do the maths for the chemistry going on. If you ECU is targeting for 11.5 AFR, with the same amount of air coming in, if you add meth, then the ECU is going to pull gas. I don't remember what the ratio is, but I wouldn't put more than 15%-20% of my fueling to meth; bad things could happen if your pump stops all of a sudden (really lean, really quick). Someone else with more experience should chime in here. There are a few online calculators and charts for these things if you want to check your math.

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #3
Yes I agree. As i stated on my original post I only ran that 1000cc nozzle for about a day. During that day i only went WOT about 3-4times. Ive been on my 500cc nozzle for the past week. Im still having this issue. I wish I could datalog but also like I satated on my original post i cant go WOT without my car shutting off or just prevent me from doing so. Only reason i tried the 1000cc nozzle was from my tuners suggestion..

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #4
To add to that, i havent been on meth since then BUT looks like its still spraying very slowly as my tank is low on fluid..when it shouldnt be since ive had the pump off this whole time.

Is your nozzle before or after the throttle body? If it is after the throttle-body (in a spacer), you need a solenoid so that your vacuum won't siphon meth from your lines, pump, and tank. Only thing I can think of if you are losing liquid. Heck I've been told that checkvalves suck in general. I have a solenoid and a check valve on before the throttle body.

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #6
Its before. Im using the cpe cold side pipe with a welded bung for for the injector. I was told its common to have the valve on the injector get stuck open. But that still wouldnt explain why my car does not allow me to go WOT on ANY tune. Wether im running meth or not it just does not allow me to.

Well without anymore info...check the AFR when it bogs? Boost PSI? Sounds like a really rich condition if no meth is spraying.

Intuition says, MAF/MAP and other sensors after the intercooler...causing your ECU to act wonky.
Second guess is your meth setup is constantly leaking and puddling in your intercooler or intake manifold. So any time you go WOT, it sucks in a wall of water and bogs (not a rich condition...gulps of water/meth will put out spark).
Third guess maybe Turbo isn't delivering the air properly (BOV, leaks...damage from spinning without any oil pressure when your car died?).

I would start by completely disconnecting the meth kit from your intake, pull the fuse, and seal up that hole with duct tape or a NPT bolt or something. Go for a spin, see if anything changes.

Brura22

I'm gonna say throttle body, I run the exact same cpe pipe, also ran that boost juice for about 5k miles.
My throttle body never fucked up but when I removed the pipe one day for some maintenance, that red boost juice gunk was everywhere.
Awful shit, I'll be using distilled water mixed with pure meth from now on..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #9
Thanks man i appreciate the help. I doubt its the turbo. But i was reading your text as I was driving and it decided to do a pull and look at my AFR. To my surprise it completely stopped doing it.. Now im thinking the valve is most likely stuck open and its constantly leaking meth into my charge pipe and its killing my spark when the throttle opens. Since my tank was low this morning maybe the line was a little dry and it stopped doing it. Kind of weird i guess. But my car seems good now lol

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Im not using that crap anymore either. I found a local off road place that sells 100 percent meth for 6 dollars a gallon. The problem just went away right now out of nowhere but since you said you had all that stuff over your pipe im gonna take it down tomorrow morning and clean it all up. It just sucks man, i havent been able to get back on the car for about a week. I was having bad withdrawals from the power of e30+meth lol

Thanks man i appreciate the help. I doubt its the turbo. But i was reading your text as I was driving and it decided to do a pull and look at my AFR. To my surprise it completely stopped doing it.. Now im thinking the valve is most likely stuck open and its constantly leaking meth into my charge pipe and its killing my spark when the throttle opens. Since my tank was low this morning maybe the line was a little dry and it stopped doing it. Kind of weird i guess. But my car seems good now lol
Well, good. Seems that is the most likely thing happening. I would get a new valve, and immediately before the value put a Snow or Devilsown solenoid in there, in *parallel* with the pump circuit. Probably about $60 bucks from either one of their sites. Check the amp draw from the pump+solenoid, and replace the fuse if necessary...check the relay specs too.

The way it should work, is if the pump comes on, then the solenoid opens up.. If the pump is off, solenoid is closed and you won't get any leaks...since these things hold stupid pressure.

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #12
Well, good. Seems that is the most likely thing happening. I would get a new valve, and immediately before the value put a Snow or Devilsown solenoid in there, in *parallel* with the pump circuit. Probably about $60 bucks from either one of their sites. Check the amp draw from the pump+solenoid, and replace the fuse if necessary...check the relay specs too.

The way it should work, is if the pump comes on, then the solenoid opens up.. If the pump is off, solenoid is closed and you won't get any leaks...since these things hold stupid pressure.
Thanks man, would you mind sending me a link to those parts? Im going to seal up the injector for now just in case its still leaking.

Hey [MENTION=4033]Ish[/MENTION]!

I just bought the AEM Meth Kit & I'm about to install it. I was thinking to mount the Tank & the Pump in the trunk until I saw this tread and this note in the installation manual:

"Pump and Tank Install -- Find a suitable location to mount the tank and pump. The tank should be mounted such that it is below the injection point. The tank and pump must be mounted in the same area."

I'm trying to think where I could install the tank to be below the injection point consedering where the Cold/Meth pipe is located on our car ...

Also saw that AEM nozzle have a built-in check-valve but I'm thinking that maybe gravity (when the Tank is mount in the trunk or higher than the injection point) still exercises a pressure high enough to make the Water/Meth mixture leaks in the Cold Charge Pipe which is not good.

I'll maybe have to go with a solenoid too...

Let us know if you went with a solenoid & if yes, which one you chose & why?

[rockon]

-Seb-

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #14

I just bought the AEM Meth Kit & I'm about to install it. I was thinking to mount the Tank & the Pump in the trunk until I saw this tread and this note in the installation manual:

"Pump and Tank Install -- Find a suitable location to mount the tank and pump. The tank should be mounted such that it is below the injection point. The tank and pump must be mounted in the same area."

I'm trying to think where I could install the tank to be below the injection point consedering where the Cold/Meth pipe is located on our car ...

Also saw that AEM nozzle have a built-in check-valve but I'm thinking that maybe gravity (when the Tank is mount in the trunk or higher than the injection point) still exercises a pressure high enough to make the Water/Meth mixture leaks in the Cold Charge Pipe which is not good.

I'll maybe have to go with a solenoid too...

Let us know if you went with a solenoid & if yes, which one you chose & why?

[rockon]

-Seb-
I have my tank and pump mounted in the back. I ran the fuel line through the driver side and ran controller wires through the passenger side. I actually dont have a solenoid but I do know. I just ordered it lol i should be getting it Wednesday.

Brura22

I actually use the windshield fluid as a tank and my pump mounted under the air intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a snow performance 375cc nozzle and a Snow Check Valve I have not had any issue with since September.. Was running 100% meth but will be switching to 70/30 because I was burning up pumps. I also use washer fluid tank to hold fluid and pump in the wheel well. I seal the pump with silicone around all the seams since it gets wet there.

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #17
I have a snow performance 375cc nozzle and a Snow Check Valve I have not had any issue with since September.. Was running 100% meth but will be switching to 70/30 because I was burning up pumps. I also use washer fluid tank to hold fluid and pump in the wheel well. I seal the pump with silicone around all the seams since it gets wet there.
How was it wiring that check valve? I ordered the snow performance solenoid from them

Thanks man for posting a vid of your Meth Set-up on youtube!

[rockon]

-Seb-

OP
Ish

Ish

Thread Starter #19

Thanks man for posting a vid of your Meth Set-up on youtube!

[rockon]

-Seb-
Hey no problem man. Ive been wanting to make an update and you sort of reminded me haha