Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark Plug change question...

Coming up on a routine maintenance interval here for an oil change, and Im going to throw some fresh spark plugs in. What I'd like to know is is everyone just using the stock plug from Ford or has anyone tried something different with better results? With future mods coming up for the spring/summer, would it be worth it to try a colder plug...Let me hear your thoughts or tips.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Zormecteon

It is my belief that the Ford engineering staff knows what they're doing. They have years of research, access to computers and programming that we can only dream about, ergo the plug that comes from the factory is the best plug for the engine. If you're going to do a tune, then use the plug the tuner recommends, changed at the recommended interval. anything else is just guess work, and a waste of time and money.

My 2?

Odds are unless you're over 100k miles your spark plugs are fine. At worst you pull them out and they need a little cleaning

I use the the motocraft plugs and just buy them from the mountune website. Currently at "stage 2", never had an issue and on my 3rd set. I change them every 10k. Not because it needs it, but because it gives me a reason to be in the garage enjoying some peace and serenity lol. [thumb]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
OP
F
Thread Starter #6
I use the the motocraft plugs and just buy them from the mountune website. Currently at "stage 2", never had an issue and on my 3rd set. I change them every 10k. Not because it needs it, but because it gives me a reason to be in the garage enjoying some peace and serenity lol. [thumb]
Bretley you sound like me with my old '95 Civic build. Every 3k that car got new plugs just because. But good to hear the Motorcraft stuff is enough to do the trick.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
It is my belief that the Ford engineering staff knows what they're doing. They have years of research, access to computers and programming that we can only dream about, ergo the plug that comes from the factory is the best plug for the engine. If you're going to do a tune, then use the plug the tuner recommends, changed at the recommended interval. anything else is just guess work, and a waste of time and money.

My 2?[/QUOTE
Yes that is really true in most cases.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
the ST supplement states every 50k miles for the turbo car spark plugs. Heavier use. I used the denso itv22 and they work as well as stock. Stocks are a great plug and same price as the denso. It is cheap to replace so you could try something a step colder and return to stock if you don't like them.

OP
F
Thread Starter #9
the ST supplement states every 50k miles for the turbo car spark plugs. Heavier use. I used the denso itv22 and they work as well as stock. Stocks are a great plug and same price as the denso. It is cheap to replace so you could try something a step colder and return to stock if you don't like them.
So that Denso plug is a step colder than the factory Motorcraft plug?

OP
F
Thread Starter #11
Yes they are. Lots of details on this forum and the Focus ST forum on them and the Ngk LTR71X-11. Cannot go wrong with the stock plugs you can close the gap a little.
Right on. Ill take a look around for that. Thanks again

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Odds are unless you're over 100k miles your spark plugs are fine. At worst you pull them out and they need a little cleaning
Most spark plugs are self cleaning....FYI.

Here's a good article from denso....http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/basic_knowledge/heatrange/
Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same thing.
The old adage of not changing plugs goes out the door with DI engines. DI is very hard on plugs. 50k is the max range. High heat and pressure.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Most spark plugs are self cleaning....FYI.

Here's a good article from denso....http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/basic_knowledge/heatrange/
Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same thing.
The old adage of not changing plugs goes out the door with DI engines. DI is very hard on plugs. 50k is the max range. High heat and pressure.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Oh, I know that they need to be changed...I was just wondering (I think like the OP) if anyone had any experience with other spark plugs that may have provided some kind of tweak to performance, economy, etc.

I am interested in this topic as I've heard of performance, economy, and even reliability improvements in other models over oem when switched to some aftermarkets. Sometimes it may be just an improvement in price with the same overall results. In either case, I was not really planning to make a change from oem to aftermarket spark plugs yet but I was curious of other people's experience here who may have decided to change theirs.

OP
F
Thread Starter #16
Oh, I know that they need to be changed...I was just wondering (I think like the OP) if anyone had any experience with other spark plugs that may have provided some kind of tweak to performance, economy, etc.

I am interested in this topic as I've heard of performance, economy, and even reliability improvements in other models over oem when switched to some aftermarkets. Sometimes it may be just an improvement in price with the same overall results. In either case, I was not really planning to make a change from oem to aftermarket spark plugs yet but I was curious of other people's experience here who may have decided to change theirs.
I feel that the spark plug also can be an easy significant performance improvement. This kind of thing sometimes goes unspoken about, so I wanted to pose the question. Good feedback so far. I may go even further to index this new set and try that out.

V-tip, tri-tip, platinum, iridium, blah, blah - lots of marketing out there. It would be nice to know if there was anything measurable for spark plug upgrades.

It's not the plug that will get you more power, it's the increased allowable spark advance. I run NGK 3510 (step colder) plugs, and this allows for more boost and timing, thus yielding more power.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
V-tip, tri-tip, platinum, iridium, blah, blah - lots of marketing out there. It would be nice to know if there was anything measurable for spark plug upgrades.
Iridium is the best material to use due to its ability to resist breakdown of the electrode because of hardness. The ignitability also is improved with a larger flame kernel to have a more complete burn. So your blah blah boobly blah blah statement is not valid here.

It's not the plug that will get you more power, it's the increased allowable spark advance. I run NGK 3510 (step colder) plugs, and this allows for more boost and timing, thus yielding more power.
Step colder is a known approach, yes, and thanks.

Iridium is the best material to use due to its ability to resist breakdown of the electrode because of hardness. The ignitability also is improved with a larger flame kernel to have a more complete burn. So your blah blah boobly blah blah statement is not valid here.
I didn't consider my comment to be flippant and certainly didn't intend for it to stomp anyone's pet bunny. But if you do want to insist iridium plugs are the "best", there are a few different technologies that are still in question. One would be Denso's TT (twin tip) with smaller electrode, etc.

I was hoping that someone had some research and proof they could point to about the use of spark plugs with all of these variable to arrive at a "best" replacement spark plug for the 1.6 turbo engine in our application.