Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swollen Lug Nuts

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ordered these, will be installing in next few days.
Expensive (64 bucks for full set) but figured worth it. Lifetime warranty, will probably outlast the car.

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-64015...8&qid=1501595019&sr=8-1&keywords=mcgard+64015
EXCELLENT CHOICE!

I use these for my factory wheels only, as I'm afraid that the socket needed for their 3/4"/19mm hex will contact, and scrape all of the paint off of the lug 'wells' of my TD Pro Race 1.2s, so I use the Muteki SR35s for those wheels. ;)

I had used these for MANY years on my 4th gen f body, through salt soup winters and all, and they held up GREAT with NO corrosion whatsoever, and the black chrome plating looked new even after almost 10 years! [thumb]

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Mine just got too swollen to get tools onto last night . Good thing I have a bunch of lugnuts from my focus. Lol.

I just found this thread and am thinking about these McGard spline drive lugs-
https://www.amazon.com/McGard-65357BC-Chrome-SplineDrive-Thread/dp/B00200BF84

Have folks liked the McGard spline drive ones?
I have a set of those spline lug nuts that I got from the seller when I bought some winter steel wheels and they seem fine. I am not using them now that I have my warm weather OEM wheels back on my car because I wanted some very strong forged lug nuts. I bought these on Amazon but you can also get them from CJ Pony Parts, but they are almost $50 more than the current Amazon price. They are pretty long so they stick out past the face of the wheels a little bit, but I don't mind the look at all and they should be super strong. The title on the listing says they are chrome, but they are not. They are black which you can tell from the BC part number.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SF8F5T0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Ouch. I picked up some black gorilla lug nuts ...... I need to stop being lazy and put them on.
Yeah well, that does sound like some major surgery there; albeit much worse for the gorilla. The doctor ain't the only one put'n work in. I'm surprised they don't got an ointment or pill for that. Seems like they gotta pill for everything else LoL. Wonder what a mouse with gorilla nuts looks like? Nah, I don't... never mind.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
no frills, lightweight, impact gun proof and availble in 3 colors: http://949racing.com/lug-nuts-silver-12x15.aspx
Those ARE purdy, and I've seen them when looking for lugs, but I will NOT use aluminum, no matter HOW forged or heat treated.
It is forged STEEL, or forged titanium for me ONLY!

IF they made a 17mm hex, steel version of those, they'd be on the car with my summer setup. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Those ARE purdy, and I've seen them when looking for lugs, but I will NOT use aluminum, no matter HOW forged or heat treated.
It is forged STEEL, or forged titanium for me ONLY!

IF they made a 17mm hex, steel version of those, they'd be on the car with my summer setup. ;)

What is so wrong with those alloy/Aluminum lug nuts? I have some on my car..so much easier to deal with & light weight.....but For those who feel the need to shave the weight off...hehe. I just remembered Porsche utilizes them on a lot of their vehicles also...So if they are good enough for Porsche its good enough for the FiST.Also I NEVER EVER EVER USE and impact to tighten lug nuts. I spin them on by hand....Then I ALWAYS USE A TORQUE WRENCH with appropriate setting[thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also I NEVER EVER EVER USE and impact to tighten lug nuts. I spin them on by hand....Then I ALWAYS USE A TORQUE WRENCH with appropriate setting[thumb]
SAME HERE, just with forged steel lug nuts. :)

To me, the weight (or the cost savings over forged(?) 6AL4V titanium, IF I were going for weight), is just NOT worth the slight weight savings in the CENTER of the wheel, where it means the LEAST, and the strength difference (yup, even for the supposedly 'forged' aluminum alloys).

DangerMouse

Yeah well, that does sound like some major surgery there; albeit much worse for the gorilla. The doctor ain't the only one put'n work in. I'm surprised they don't got an ointment or pill for that. Seems like they gotta pill for everything else LoL. Wonder what a mouse with gorilla nuts looks like? Nah, I don't... never mind.

Bwahahaha!

I've had them on for just over a year now. They are in pretty bad shape, most likely from discount tire and firestone using an impact on them.

I will be looking for something new. I'm not worried about locks or special key sockets. They don't work anyway and if someone wants my stock wheels they can have them.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bwahahaha!

I've had them on for just over a year now. They are in pretty bad shape, most likely from discount tire and firestone using an impact on them.

I will be looking for something new. I'm not worried about locks or special key sockets. They don't work anyway and if someone wants my stock wheels they can have them.
Where abouts in Rockford do you live? i'd like to come get your wheels! HEHE Kidding...kidding! [wrenchin]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've had the provided socket split open on me on two separate occassions. I forget what brand they were but I've sworn off splines since then.

i finally got bit by this last night when doing my flaps and just ordered the black chrome McGards. they're not sooo bad so I still got the lugs back on but not waiting for it to get worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, I'd be nervous torquing aluminum lug nuts to 100ft-lbs
Never had an issue....just don't use a IMPACT GUN to put them on. and TORQUE WRENCH to set them...like I stated above. If Porsche uses them...if they are good enough to go on a 100k+ vehicle and are used right there shouldn't be an issue.[thumb]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I use an impact but mine is adjustable. I set it to 2nd of 5 settings then torque with a wrench to 80. No need to go to 100. Or maybe it's time to finally read the owners manual