Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swollen Lug Nuts

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I installed a set of new, black chrome McGards (closed end acorn) I had left over from my Z28 on the factory wheels for now.

I am also thinking about open ended titanium lugs for my 1.2s when they arrive for summer use.

I took off a wheel for the first time today to install a diverter valve. The lug nuts were almost impossible to get a socket around (used a hammer on two of the four). I figured it was a tire installation problem (over tightened and rounded with an impact wrench). Went and bought 4 OEM nuts before I put the wheel back on and then did a search for lug nuts on this site.

Yes, terrible design.

I went on Amazon and ordered these as a complete replacement (for all four wheels):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNEBGFW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would hate to get a flat and have to deal with these nuts with the standard lug wrench that comes with the spare in the trunk (would be impossible).

Replacing OEM lug nuts should be a "DO FIRST" for anyone buying a used FiST. The OEM nuts appear to be two-piece overdesigned BS and the inner piece must rust and expand after time.

BTW: OEM lug nuts were $5 each (!!!) at O'Reily's.

--Ernie

When I took my new-to-me 2014 FiST to get my winter tires put on last November I had the same issue. Ford replaced all the lug nuts under warranty though. I will be keeping these new ones for my winter wheels and see what happens to them next season. Will be looking for a set of aftermarket ones for my summer rims. Maybe something anodized.

An update for you. Got the black DP Accessories Lug Nuts in the mail today from Amazon:

DPAccessories LCB3B6HE-BK04016 16 Black 12x1.5 Closed End Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts - Cone Seat - 19mm Hex Wheel Lug Nut

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are before and after shots on stock (4-yr-old) rims, sorry these are sideways (turn your head to view...LOL):

IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5017.JPG

Some of the lug nuts were frozen to the threads. The bulged (internally oxidized) made these a real PITA to remove. I had to use combinations of 19mm, 20mm, and 3/4 inch sockets (and some hammering) to get them off and then to get them out of the sockets. Best and worst case below:

IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5016.JPG

The damage to the one on the right was from using a punch to get it out of the socket... But it shows the idiotic two-piece construction of the OEM nuts.

Took me an hour to do three wheels... Two of the lug nuts were downright awful since they were both overtightened and nearly rounded off.

Bottom Line: If you're running stock lug nuts, get these changed out before you get stuck on the side of the road with a flat.

An update for you. Got the black DP Accessories Lug Nuts in the mail today from Amazon:

DPAccessories LCB3B6HE-BK04016 16 Black 12x1.5 Closed End Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts - Cone Seat - 19mm Hex Wheel Lug Nut

Link:

Here are before and after shots on stock (4-yr-old) rims, sorry these are sideways (turn your head to view...LOL):

View attachment 13803 View attachment 13806

Some of the lug nuts were frozen to the threads. The bulged (internally oxidized) made these a real PITA to remove. I had to use combinations of 19mm, 20mm, and 3/4 inch sockets (and some hammering) to get them off and then to get them out of the sockets. Best and worst case below:

View attachment 13804 View attachment 13805

The damage to the one on the right was from using a punch to get it out of the socket... But it shows the idiotic two-piece construction of the OEM nuts.

Took me an hour to do three wheels... Two of the lug nuts were downright awful since they were both overtightened and nearly rounded off.

Bottom Line: If you're running stock lug nuts, get these changed out before you get stuck on the side of the road with a flat.
Wow i didn't know this was such an issue. Thats what mine looked like when i swapped my winter tires. I ordered some gorilla lugs. Crazy i thought i was the only one.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just when i thought the list of issues on this platform was complete, now lug nuts. F'in lug nuts! Thanks for posting tho! I'll get this done before it bites me in the ass.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Link:

View attachment 13803 View attachment 13806

View attachment 13804 View attachment 13805

After seeing this^^^ I am SOOOO GLAD I changed out the stockers for McGard black chrome ones 2 months into ownership!! [wink]

I got hit by swollen lug nuts problem as well. It was really strange how the wrench socket I used for 2 prior years suddenly stopped working. Curiously enough, the emergency kit wrench is juuuust a bit larger that the exact spec size, which makes me wonder if they anticipated this problem.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Our factory lugs have a bad case of the adult male Mumps (the Gen-Xers, Millennials, and Gen-Yers will probably have to google what this is ;) ). LOL

Intuit

3000 Post Club
For my prior car, I always used anti-seize on the nuts. Unfortunately I can't really use the old jacks for this car as it sits too low... and it seems to be difficult to find a good central and accessible point to jack this car up from in the first place.

Our factory lugs have a bad case of the adult male Mumps (the Gen-Xers, Millennials, and Gen-Yers will probably have to google what this is ;) ). LOL
Since I had to do it anyway, thought I'd save others the trouble...
https://www.verywell.com/mumps-in-men-2328875
...sounds like punishment for blow job.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do we have acorn or cone lug nuts? Or is there a difference for the stock wheels?
Acorn is a STYLE of closed end lug nut, whereas conical, or cone refers to the taper (usually 60*, like it is on our cars) on the lug hole side of said lug nut.

We can use any 60* conical taper seat, 12x1.5 lug nut out there on the market, although I would not use any so long (like some I have seen) that they extend out PAST the outside edge of even a deep concave dished wheel. [nono]
(Albeit in the center of the rotating area of the wheel, where many claim it will do less harm, it nonetheless adds unnecessary weight.)

Acorn is a STYLE of closed end lug nut, whereas conical, or cone refers to the taper (usually 60*, like it is on our cars) on the lug hole side of said lug nut.

We can use any 60* conical taper seat, 12x1.5 lug nut out there on the market, although I would not use any so long (like some I have seen) that they extend out PAST the outside edge of even a deep concave dished wheel. [nono]
(Albeit in the center of the rotating area of the wheel, where many claim it will do less harm, it nonetheless adds unnecessary weight.)
Thank you. I just saw that McGard calls their lugs 'cone' while Gorilla calls theirs 'acorn'. Wasnt sure if they were the same but it sounds like they are & they are just calling it a different name.

Sam4

Ernie:

How'd the diverter valve job go? I just took a look yesterday (got the valve Saturday), and dealt with my crummy nuts at the same time. Picked up a 20mm socket which still doesn't seem to be the right size - thanks for the Amazon link.

Back to the main question - how'd the valve install go?

Sam

My first solution was getting 04 Taurus lug nuts. Same type construction but longer. Giving more surface area for the wrench to work against. But, in the end, the capped lugs are not ideal for anyone who is frequently removing their wheels.