Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Dampers w/Mountune Sport Springs

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thanks for the info on the change in lengths. That kills them for a stock autocross build, unfortunately. That may have me going Koni then or living with OEM. Also, I'm really looking to calm the ride and it sounds like you may not be feeling much of that kind of result. Keep us posted!
There is still the B6 which is what Bilstein recommends for stock.

There is still the B6 which is what Bilstein recommends for stock.
Yep. Still need to know if the spring perch maintains stock distance from the hub and if it actually provides a more comfortable, compliant ride.

I don't see why the B8s would not be good for stock classes as only the shaft length is different, does not change hub to spring perch distance. And I bet all aftermarket shocks vary in shaft length since it doesn't affect ride height.

KKaWing

Well I took a tape measure for some amateur hour stuff. Also compressed the front and rears for the oil seal mark. Take these as really rough measurements. The fronts you can hear the oil sloshing if you turn it upside down for whatever that's worth. The rears are don't slosh and I think I pulled something compressing it. If the Koni Sport rears are this hard, better get a back strap when compressing it for adjustment lol [wrenchin]

Attachments

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Installed the B8s this morning, Three hours with the dog helping. Easiest struts I have installed. Length of the front from spring perch to top of shaft is 3/8" shorter than stock, rear shocks are almost 1" shorter than stock. Installed the ride height is the same as stock. With the wheels hanging free the droop is the same as stock in the rear.
Took a short drive, the B8 I guess to have more damping than stock. The ride is still very firm, but it does smooth out some of the small sharp impacts that you get from broken concrete. If ride quality is your main concern this may not be the best option, handling is still excellent. I will have to drive more before I can say more.
Thanks for the update. Good info here. Please keep us posted...wondering how they perform after being broken in. Also I'm curious what size wheels and tires are you using with this?

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #149
Installed the B8s this morning, Three hours with the dog helping. Easiest struts I have installed. Length of the front from spring perch to top of shaft is 3/8" shorter than stock, rear shocks are almost 1" shorter than stock. Installed the ride height is the same as stock. With the wheels hanging free the droop is the same as stock in the rear.
Took a short drive, the B8 I guess to have more damping than stock. The ride is still very firm, but it does smooth out some of the small sharp impacts that you get from broken concrete. If ride quality is your main concern this may not be the best option, handling is still excellent. I will have to drive more before I can say more.

Hum??? I had a huge improvement in ride quality with my Mountune/B8 combo. There are a couple of cracked areas in the pavement that I hit daily on my way to work that used to literally rattle my teeth with the stock setup and I can only feel a light thud when I go over them now. I can also say that when highway driving the constant choppiness and bounce I used to get is gone. Maybe it's the progressive nature of the Mountune springs combined with the B8's but like I mentioned before...the car has a much smoother ride and handles much better.

[dunno]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The Mountunes should soften it up more compared to stock springs but I don't expect a significant difference since most of the damping is from the shocks.

Pulled the B8 shocks off my car this morning, I think they would be good with aftermarket lowering springs. This is just not what I was looking for, I will post these up for sale and move on to some coilovers.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
If you don't mind me asking, what was the biggest problem that you had with them? Why did you ultimately decide not to use them?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I already pulled mine awhile ago to install lowering springs and I suspect they weren't put back in with the correct orientation, which is why I asked since I'm changing springs again soon.

Any update on dimensions of B6 struts vs OEM? Looking at these vs Koni Sports for HS autocross on a National level, so I know from personal experience with my SRT4 ACR how people get jealous when you set up your Street car to the maximum side of the rules. Saw this place that seems to have GREAT prices on the B6 struts (and their Ebay rating has been good in the past).

http://www.ajusa.com/2015-Ford-Fies...ck-Absorbers-and-Struts-c2ddeva17cq29e09.html

Around $400 shipped for a complete set. If dimensions are same as OEM, I will order some and give it a try.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
AJUSA is the way to go and if I were using stock springs I'd go for the B6. It's hard to beat for the value and lifetime warranty. Honestly I was surprised how cheap the Bilsteins are for this car, as I was used to paying near $1000 for my other cars.