Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Dampers w/Mountune Sport Springs

koozy

3000 Post Club
before I mounted the rear shock I held the nut supplied by Bilstein up to the hole and there was more than enough clearance. Nowhere near touching any part of the car, at least in my case. I'm not experiencing any noises or issues at all with the rears.

just my opinion, but those coils don't look happy. here's ST Springs paired with the B8's.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
before I mounted the rear shock I held the nut supplied by Bilstein up to the hole and there was more than enough clearance. Nowhere near touching any part of the car, at least in my case. I'm not experiencing any noises or issues at all with the rears.

just my opinion, but those coils don't look happy. here's ST Springs paired with the B8's.

Did you experience any drop from stock height with that setup? How do you like it so far with regards to performance and ride quality?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
Did you experience any drop from stock height with that setup? How do you like it so far with regards to performance and ride quality?

I had the springs alone for about 2 years on stock shocks, yes the springs alone dropped the car. There are photo somewhere on this forum or my build thread. I just have the rear B8's installed and will have the fronts on soon. The rear feels to absorb better, but being in the driver seat I feel more of the front end though, so once I have the front B8's on I'll get a better overall feel.

no-pistons

Well I took a tape measure for some amateur hour stuff. Also compressed the front and rears for the oil seal mark. Take these as really rough measurements. The fronts you can hear the oil sloshing if you turn it upside down for whatever that's worth. The rears are don't slosh and I think I pulled something compressing it. If the Koni Sport rears are this hard, better get a back strap when compressing it for adjustment lol [wrenchin]
Here's the info directly from Bilstein:

B4 OE Replacement - FRONT
Collapsed Length (IN): 13.39
Extended Length (IN): 19.88

B6 Performance - FRONT
Extended Length (IN): 19.88

B8 Performance Plus - FRONT
Extended Length (IN): 19.09

B6 Performance - REAR
Collapsed Length (IN): 15.91
Extended Length (IN): 26.24

B8 Performance Plus - REAR
Collapsed Length (IN): 15.91
Extended Length (IN): 25.3

It's also interesting that Bilstein lists ALL front struts as twin-tube and ALL rear shocks as Mono-tube

You're springs do not look progressive at all. I guess mountune changed them at some point? Can anyone with progressive springs confirm how they sit?

KKaWing

You're springs do not look progressive at all. I guess mountune changed them at some point? Can anyone with progressive springs confirm how they sit?
Those are ST Suspension springs! I remember someone posing them as 245 lb progressive front and 250 linear rear. Haven't seen anything official from the manufacturer though.

So I pulled the rear shocks off and put the stick but on and gave the bushing a liberal amount of silicone spray. Pulled the front assembly and was able to compress the springs a little bit more with the use of a better spring compressor. That extra 2-3 threads showing made all the difference. So far feels great drove it 2 miles and now it's getting an alignment.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I had the springs alone for about 2 years on stock shocks, yes the springs alone dropped the car. There are photo somewhere on this forum or my build thread. I just have the rear B8's installed and will have the fronts on soon. The rear feels to absorb better, but being in the driver seat I feel more of the front end though, so once I have the front B8's on I'll get a better overall feel.
I didn't know about the "ST" springs and thought you meant stock, lol. Was hoping to get more feedback on B8s but honestly I'm already sold on them. It's just a matter of time. Had some unexpected expenses come up that pushed my timeline back...good news is I don't really need them yet but hopefully I can get them soon.

Squeak can be kinda cured by silicone lube on the top nut (they're bigger than stock) for the rear until you can center it properly. They're held in by 2 10mm bolts so they could shift. I have the same squeak for my rear right corner but the silicone lube made it quite enough that only when the radio is off do I hear a small peep. Good enough until I can get it back up on a lift. Clunks from the front can be many things... could be improperly fastened nuts or sway bar endlink would be my first guesses.

The B6 on OE springs is amazing. You still feel the road but everything is rounded off and smoothed over. No longer do my man boobs jiggle over seemingly smooth but slightly wavy tarmac.
Any perceived "floatiness" of the front end on B6 with OE springs? It's a word someone used when talking about Koni STR.Ts. B6s and the STR.Ts are the two I'm about narrowed down to at this point.

Thanks!

So far I have about 50 miles on the B8/mountune combination and I love them. Car feels so much less jittery and more planted. Feels like something I can actually cruise down the highway at 75 and the car won't dance all over when it hits expansion joints. Haven't tested them aggressively yet but I don't see how they couldn't as good or better when pushed

Those are ST Suspension springs! I remember someone posing them as 245 lb progressive front and 250 linear rear. Haven't seen anything official from the manufacturer though.

🤦*♂️ Only took me reading it 7 times to realize that lol.

KKaWing

Any perceived "floatiness" of the front end on B6 with OE springs? It's a word someone used when talking about Koni STR.Ts. B6s and the STR.Ts are the two I'm about narrowed down to at this point.

Thanks!
--*Big disclaimer: It's been only a few days since I had the OEM springs w/ B6 installed.*--

So with that out of the way, this setup is absolutely awesome, not floaty. It feels like the springs and swaybar is what is controlling the car, not the struts. Overall, everything now feels rounded off. That sharp initial bump you feel is no longer there. It just absorbs it, and moves on. That isn't to say the car feels like a lincoln town car over rough pavement. Instead, the car still follows the roads, except it absorbs the initial bump and have the chassis follow along in a smoother but still firm manner. There is a down side though. That absolutely crisp (for a stock car) turn in is also rounded off, but the car still changes direction like a go-cart.

Current verdict: mother & dog approved but still retains the fun response of the car, just the rough edge rounded off.

--*Big disclaimer: It's been only a few days since I had the OEM springs w/ B6 installed.*--

So with that out of the way, this setup is absolutely awesome, not floaty. It feels like the springs and swaybar is what is controlling the car, not the struts. Overall, everything now feels rounded off. That sharp initial bump you feel is no longer there. It just absorbs it, and moves on. That isn't to say the car feels like a lincoln town car over rough pavement. Instead, the car still follows the roads, except it absorbs the initial bump and have the chassis follow along in a smoother but still firm manner. There is a down side though. That absolutely crisp (for a stock car) turn in is also rounded off, but the car still changes direction like a go-cart.

Current verdict: mother & dog approved but still retains the fun response of the car, just the rough edge rounded off.
The "mother & dog approved" is a great statement. My justification for this upgrade comes through that kind of result for the wife!

Thanks and keep us posted as they break in!

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club

That's almost the exact impression I had. The Bilsteins absorb road imperfections much better than stock. Truly a perfect combo it seems, the B8/Swift seems to be the way to go if you want lower while the B6/stock is perfect if you want to remain at original stock height.

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #198
Ahhh... the squeak comes from the larger nut rubbing against the really small "shock tower" hole. You won't be able to reach it from the bottom. Peel back the rear liner to get to that spot.

The coils touching is fine, they're there so when the suspension comes to full droop the springs won't fall out.

The FiST has 2 adjustments for alignment that can actually be adjusted... they are the front left and right toe lol. The rest you'll need to work with whatever manufacturing tolerances there is. Camber bolts in the front will give you camber adjustment and there's also Powerflex's front lower control arm rear bushing for caster (don't need that usually). The rears are a lost cause unless you're Raamaudio and reweld the rear hubs :p So... yeah camber bolts are a good idea.
Yes, this! Earlier in the thread I posted that I was getting a gawd awful squeak from passenger rear when I installed mine. I just put the OEM nut "since it is smaller" on the B8 and POOF....problem was solved. No noise whatsoever anywhere.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, this! Earlier in the thread I posted that I was getting a gawd awful squeak from passenger rear when I installed mine. I just put the OEM nut "since it is smaller" on the B8 and POOF....problem was solved. No noise whatsoever anywhere.
I've also heard that using a generous coat of silicon grease helps too.

Just finished a cross-country journey in which I put about 3500 miles on my setup and I am very happy with it. Doesn't ride as smooth as my 135i with my Dinan/yellow setup but not real far off. Definitely comfortable enough while still handling well.