Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question for GT350 shift knob owners

jeff

2000 Post Club
After extensively extensive research, I have one of these on the way after selling my JBR knob/dumbell...could you folk who own these CJ pony GT350 knobs that are modified to fit our cars please comment on:

1...whether you used loctite to hold the knob on, or bottomed it out on a 12x1.25 nut....

I'd rather not use loctite, would rather use a nut....however I am curious about:

2....fitment and how much higher the knob sits compared to stock when a nut is used....

3....and whether or not the nut is visible once the knob is seated down tight....

I appreciate it!!!

I used the nut only no lock tight
Height wise it seams about the same but I can't remember for sure, I put mine on as soon as I got the car home from the dealership
You can't see the jamm nut on mine

I love mine great feel and I little heavier than stock

Same here. No loctite needed. I used a nut to set my desired height. Cannot see the nut. Has a little more heft to the feel of the knob compared to stock. At standard height, it's slightly taller than stock.

TUX15ST

I just used loctite and never had any issues, came off easy enough when i wanted to sell it too. It will not bottom out by itself with the reverse lock out still functioning or having the knob lined up so you have to do one or the other. I loved how the knob looked but hated how it felt in my hand.

Loctite for sure would be easier, but I only used the nut. The tricky part is positioning the nut just right so that the knob locks into place at the correct orientation. It is ever so slightly taller than the OEM knob, you'll notice it but not in a drastic way.

You also cannot see the nut once it's installed, it's hidden inside the knob, and the lockout collar goes up into the shifter far enough that there isn't a gap there either.

I don't mean to thread jack, but what did everyone have to do to get this shift knob to fit into the stock shifter?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

You can buy it from CJ Pony express already with the correct thread taped so it will screw straight on

TUX15ST

I don't mean to thread jack, but what did everyone have to do to get this shift knob to fit into the stock shifter?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Most people just bought the CJP one for $100 Pre-drilled to the correct threads, I got one from ford for about $60 and drilled and tapped my own threads.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
OK here's a final bit of info that might help someone in the future...I didn't want to loctite the knob on in the event that I sell it later or need to disassemble the shift trim/area. So I went with a 12mmx1.25 nut instead. Now, the shift knob sits a bit higher than stock, which I did not like, so I ordered a jam nut (jam nut is half size regular nut, see pic) thinking it would allow the shift knob to drop a bit more like stock height since it would screw down lower on the shift rod. However upon installing it today I found that the knob can not drop any lower with the half-size nut and still allow the reverse lockout to work. The reason for this, I discovered, is that in order for the reverse lockout to function, it's not about how low the shift knob sits but rather about whether or not the reverse lockout can be engaged and pulled up INTO the shift knob. So the jam nut made no difference. The only way I see to lower the knob at this point would be to modify the top of the shift knob interface/lockout by trimming it at the top so that when pulling it up to engage it doesn't hit the underside of the knob itself.

However, I'm not going to do that, the knob sits low enough and after a week of driving I have become used to it. So there we are. I think that for the reasons above whether a nut or loctite were used the knob would end up being at the same height as it has nothing to do with how far the knob can screw down onto the shift rod.

Get one!